Biggest Korean Song ever, Gangnam Style was released 9 years ago....

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This song is iconic. Nothing comes close within a 100 million miles....

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• It is really hard for me to approach this song in the correct fashion and address It as the biggest Korean song ever. Well!- yes, it was.

But understand, I am admitting my previous cultural bias and ignorance in this. I now know a lot more about Psy and respect him a good deal, but it’s weird for me looking back.

I can only speak as an English person, obv’ so I don’t know what it was like in other global regions. Was it huge? Yes? Was it basically universally replayed but mocked as ‘look at the funny chubby guy with the silly dance’? Absolutely, yes. Now, I doubt Psy himself is mourning too much those extra dollars that slid into his purse regardless of the reason…

I’m just saying it‘s an unusual feeling looking back at something which was treated as a novelty single by Brits, on the same level as Bob the Builder or Itsy Witsy Teeny Weeny yellow polka dot bikini as if it was one of the greatest, most influential singles.

Is that more on Brits as a whole for having blinkers on and using it as another excuse to look down on Asian culture/music? HELL YES. Our history of questionable and racist behaviour is super poor.

Its, and Psy’s achievements stand solid. I just find it - *personally* ( and heavy disclaimer here, this is just my opinion!) uncomfortable now with retrospect how much of that spread, in my region, was due to people mocking something they found ridiculous, or at best, quirky and comical.

• Yes!

But I still find it interesting that some people still want to label it as solely a

“Meme Song” and then try to discredit it for this… even if it was perceived like that, it was still/or still is the biggest Song coming from Korea to a time where there wasn’t any Korean representation at all. Psy’s signature was always addressing sensitive topics in a more light hearted and funny way.

• Yes!

But I still find it interesting that some people still want to label it as solely a

“Meme Song” and then try to discredit it for this… even if it was perceived like that, it was still/or still is the biggest Song coming from Korea to a time where there wasn’t any Korean representation at all. Psy’s signature was always addressing sensitive topics in a more light hearted and funny way.

Right? People like to discredit this song when this song was in fact the one that exposed KPOP to a much much wider audience at the start

• Ah, time really flies.

I remember when it was released and I knew nothing about kpop. I also knew almost nothing about kpop for a few years after that.

And people around me still don't know of existence of kpop. But they know and still play Gangnam style, even children that weren't even born when it released.

I remember me and my then best friend singing broken lyrics and dancing to it, so embarrassing, there are still videos somewhere 🙈

• Ah, time really flies.

I remember when it was released and I knew nothing about kpop. I also knew almost nothing about kpop for a few years after that.

And people around me still don't know of existence of kpop. But they know and still play Gangnam style, even children that weren't even born when it released.

I remember me and my then best friend singing broken lyrics and dancing to it, so embarrassing, there are still videos somewhere 🙈

Ikr

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• i remember when i first watched it and everyone around me was talking about it,

but the funny thing is i have never listened to it just for the sake of music and song itself, i really can't take it srsly but still iconic though

• I remember when it was released, iconic song, it was everywhere and people talked about it a lot.

Funny thing, this song is the reason why I came across SNSD's Boys and liked it (youtube recommended it to me when I was watching the PSY video).

My only regret is not going deeper into K-pop afterwards.

• I remember when it was released, iconic song, it was everywhere and people talked about it a lot.

Funny thing, this song is the reason why I came across SNSD's Boys and liked it (youtube recommended it to me when I was watching the PSY video).

My only regret is not going deeper into K-pop afterwards.

Better late than never

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!