SM, get it together. Your music this year is terrible

• Im about to get messy :pepe-devil:

SM have had their fair share of not-so-great years. But this year is like NEXT LEVEL bad.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is legitimately one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I liked Black Mamba and had high hopes, but this is just NOT IT. Composition-wise its a MESS and it's just a bunch of talking. It is beyond me how this song has done so well on the charts. To me, it is proof that Sm can release anything and people will eventually like it, no matter how awful the song is.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

NCT have had their fair share of bad songs over the years and this is among my least favorite. It's like Cherry Bomb's cousin (I don't like Cherry Bomb) and the background ledleledlelee is annoying. Also, you made a big deal about Mark's graduation only for him to return a couple comebacks later :pepenomad:

This was disappointing. EXO's grand comeback after a couple years and their last comeback with Baekhyun for awhile and it's so cheesy. It's very corny and kinda reminds me of Power (not really a complement).

I mean Wendy is a talented vocalist, but I find this highly anticipated debut kinda boring

It's cute and all, but why not give her more of a proper solo debut instead of just a remake?

Speaking of remakes, is that all you can do this year SM?

This one makes me the most angry. It was such a good song but then you add a middle part that doesn't match AT ALL? WHO GREENLIT THAT? Aespa did the same thing in Next Level. I mean song-writers work their butts off to make sure songs flow nicely together while still being innovative, so it is frustrating how they lazily plop a new section with no transition at all. It's like putting a square peg through a circle hole, it just doesn't work and it shouldn't work.

Thankfully, there has been a SHINING light among all these flops. :pepe-angel: SHINee have released not one, but two fantastic comebacks +Taemin had a great final song before he enlisted. Thing is SHINee is in their own league and they couldn't put out a bad song if they tried. Another legend who did not disappoint is Baekhyun with Bambi. Bambi might be one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard in Kpop ever.

All in all, this year has just been one disaster after the next, with the few exceptions I mentioned above. What do you think.

Edited once, last by Hopkinz ().

• Official Post

You really made a whole ass thread to brag about having bad taste. :pepe-cringe:

• I liked SHINee, Super Junior, Yesung, Baekhyun, Taemin, Joy and Wendy albums.

• But they doing well on the charts

fuck this is why i hate fan culture so much, even if their fave releases a shitty song fans will still keep streaming it which just gives these companies less reason to put much work in getting good songs for their artists.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• People like different things, what a surprise. Also not at the Cherry Bomb slander and acting like people even give most SM songs a chance. Nevel Level is a rarity and it's very catchy but people mostly don't care or criticize SM's releases here, even on Reddit Next Level got a lot of shit when released.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

• fuck this is why i hate fan culture so much, even if their fave releases a shitty song fans will still keep streaming it which just gives these companies less reason to put much work in getting good songs for their artists.

I always see these kind of comments acting like music is objective and it's honestly baffling. Music is art and art is subjective.

Neo got my back

• I mean maybe it will grow on me, but as of right now, I didnt think it was anything special. I had high super high expectations because I loved Obsession and Love Shot.

I understand. For me, it was rather taking anything I could. I didn't love Obsession, it was even their second weakest comeback (just before power). Our tastes do differ a lot.

• I always see these kind of comments acting like music is objective and it's honestly baffling. Music is art and art is subjective.

I see where you're coming from, but there are sometimes when I'm like: surely at least a decent amount of people will agree that this is terrible and it will underperform on the charts, but then it goes on to break records and you're like :pepe-cross:

• I always see these kind of comments acting like music is objective and it's honestly baffling. Music is art and art is subjective.

an nctzen lol

:teeheek:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• ol hopz is back :froghype:

Anyways I agree that SM has been rather inconsistent with the quality this year. The songs I really didn't like were Hot Sauce, Next Level, Don't Call Me. I agree with the House Party criticism. Don't fight the feeling was okay then Sehun's rap made it sink.

Don't hate on like water ;(

• I understand. For me, it was rather taking anything I could. I didn't love Obsession, it was even their second weakest comeback (just before power). Our tastes do differ a lot.

Obsession was weird because I didn't like it the first time I heard it, but then I couldn't stop listening to it. So perhaps their new song will have the same effect, but I don't think it will. At least we can both agree Power wasn't really it.

• ol hopz is back :froghype:

Anyways I agree that SM has been rather inconsistent with the quality this year. The songs I really didn't like were Hot Sauce, Next Level, Don't Call Me. I agree with the House Party criticism. Don't fight the feeling was okay then Sehun's rap made it sink.

Don't hate on like water ;(

Maybe I'll have to Listen to Wendy's song more. I feel like its one of the songs that you have to be in the right mood for.

• Maybe I'll have to Listen to Wendy's song more. I feel like its one of the songs that you have to be in the right mood for.

yeah I can only listen to it so much

but:

dis hits

• I see where you're coming from, but there are sometimes when I'm like: surely at least a decent amount of people will agree that this is terrible, but then it goes on to break records and you're like :pepe-cross:

Because it goes sides you are not familiar or feel uncomfortable with. SM have been making divisive songs for a long time and a lot of them have a great level of production behind it. It's obvious their intention is to make it like that to have people who love their sound and they don't care about a certain amount of people hating it. Next Level is very catchy, have a lot of memorable parts, everything about it it's very SM and reminds of other SM songs even from the 90s, the choreo is easy to follow... I can see why it resonates with a big part of the korean public.

Neo got my back

• an nctzen lol

:teeheek:

Great argument, might as well become a politician.

I'M SORRY BUT WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO BE BAD-ASS AND REFRENCE BARNEY THE PURPLE DINOSAUR LYRICS I CAN'T TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY

I can see why you feel that way but nitpicking Cherry Bomb because of the lyrics is like complaining about Messi because he doesn't play tennis well. Cherry Bomb is all about the beat, the vocals, the intrumental, the dance break, the performance... When I talk about music I mean music music, not the lyrics.

Neo got my back

• This thread contains 118 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!