NCT Dream's live vocals today in music bank

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:pepemusic:

• Why can’t they do this every performance? They always sound great live. It would give them so much more positive publicity if they did this every performance.

• Official Post

Why can’t they do this every performance? They always sound great live. It would give them so much more positive publicity if they did this every performance.

It's not really sustainable. I assume this was done because they aren't doing as many music shows and filming as many appearances this week which leaves them in better condition. The extremely long hours and little sleep that go along with comeback promotions are rough.

Also it really wouldn't. Anyone who doesn't like them or writes off their vocals after five years aren't going to suddenly change their minds. NCT has been releasing behind the scene recording footage with their actual raw unedited vocals for a while now and the "lol can't sing" narrative continues regardless.

• Why can’t they do this every performance? They always sound great live. It would give them so much more positive publicity if they did this every performance.

When you say this you make it seem like a- only NCT lipsynch and b- lipsynching is linked to a lack of skill.

Neither of those 2 statements is true. Lipsynching is an industry thing. The industry is obsessed with selling an illusion of perfection, choreographies keep getting more technical and difficult to create a bigger visual appeal but that clashes with live singing, and that's why this tendency of lipsynching and AR was enforced and spread starting the early years of the 3rd generation.

2nd generation kpop was much less technical and robotic, live singing was the standard regardless of the singers skills and choreographies were much less impressive (in difficulties) so it was natural.

• It's not really sustainable. I assume this was done because they aren't doing as many music shows and filming as many appearances this week which leaves them in better condition. The extremely long hours and little sleep that go along with comeback promotions are rough.

Also it really wouldn't. Anyone who doesn't like them or writes off their vocals after five years aren't going to suddenly change their minds. NCT has been releasing behind the scene recording footage with their actual raw unedited vocals for a while now and the "lol can't sing" narrative continues regardless.

On average groups of 7+ members individually sing about 35 seconds or less in one song. You're telling me it's not sustainable? It's always the same excuse whenever ANY group lipsyncs. "They're sick, or they're tired and haven't slept, they want to show the choreography." It makes no sense for NCT Dream who are great singers and very stable as we saw in the stage to lipsync all their other stages for Hot Sauce and their B-tracks. They've only sang live once this entire promotion which is considered 'normal' in kpop promotions now. I mean I can go on with other groups about this same situation not just NCT. I don't blame the guys, the issue lies with SM and companies, and there's no point in making excuses for it. I don't mean any hate or dislike to NCT dream or any other group that lipsyncs but I think it's fair to point out an issue that's becoming so common in the kpop industry. At this point, groups aren't even trying to hide it, and I'm sure it makes the idols uncomfortable to have to go up there and obviously lip sync to a song they are more than capable of singing live too.

• On average groups of 7+ members individually sing about 35 seconds or less in one song. You're telling me it's not sustainable? It's always the same excuse whenever ANY group lipsyncs. "They're sick, or they're tired and haven't slept, they want to show the choreography." It makes no sense for NCT Dream who are great singers and very stable as we saw in the stage to lipsync all their other stages for Hot Sauce and their B-tracks. They've only sang live once this entire promotion which is considered 'normal' in kpop promotions now. I mean I can go on with other groups about this same situation not just NCT. I don't blame the guys, the issue lies with SM and companies, and there's no point in making excuses for it. I don't mean any hate or dislike to NCT dream or any other group that lipsyncs but I think it's fair to point out an issue that's becoming so common in the kpop industry. At this point, groups aren't even trying to hide it, and I'm sure it makes the idols uncomfortable to have to go up there and obviously lip sync to a song they are more than capable of singing live too.

I agree :thumbup:

Why lipsync all the time when you can give a great live performance like this.

• When you say this you make it seem like a- only NCT lipsynch and b- lipsynching is linked to a lack of skill.

Neither of those 2 statements is true. Lipsynching is an industry thing. The industry is obsessed with selling an illusion of perfection, choreographies keep getting more technical and difficult to create a bigger visual appeal but that clashes with live singing, and that's why this tendency of lipsynching and AR was enforced and spread starting the early years of the 3rd generation.

2nd generation kpop was much less technical and robotic, live singing was the standard regardless of the singers skills and choreographies were much less impressive (in difficulties) so it was natural.

This is an NCT dream post so that's why I'm talking about them specifically, but I can list every group out there and post numerous videos of them lipsynching. Lipsyncing of course is a major industry problem. I agree that choreographies are becoming more technical and it clashes with live singing but we just watched NCT Dream sing Hot Sauce very well with live vocals and difficult choreography. They were more than capable of doing it as we saw, so why is this the only stage that was live? They had numerous stages for Hot Sauce and Dive into You but this was the only live performance. Again, as I said this isn't just an NCT problem. I can make this argument for any group and have in the past. Why did SM have NCT Dream only sing live one time in all their promotions so far when we know and have seen they are far capable of singing live to this song?

• Official Post

On average groups of 7+ members individually sing about 35 seconds or less in one song. You're telling me it's not sustainable? It's always the same excuse whenever ANY group lipsyncs. "They're sick, or they're tired and haven't slept, they want to show the choreography." It makes no sense for NCT Dream who are great singers and very stable as we saw in the stage to lipsync all their other stages for Hot Sauce and their B-tracks. They've only sang live once this entire promotion which is considered 'normal' in kpop promotions now. I mean I can go on with other groups about this same situation not just NCT. I don't blame the guys, the issue lies with SM and companies, and there's no point in making excuses for it. I don't mean any hate or dislike to NCT dream or any other group that lipsyncs but I think it's fair to point out an issue that's becoming so common in the kpop industry. At this point, groups aren't even trying to hide it, and I'm sure it makes the idols uncomfortable to have to go up there and obviously lip sync to a song they are more than capable of singing live too.

You do realize that lip syncing used to be the ONLY thing that happened on music shows right? It's not only considered normal now or even "becoming more common" it's literally the way it's been since the 90s.

And it's actually NOT sustainable. I don't give a shit how long they sing in each song. Idols literally work 16 hour days and function on no sleep during comebacks. They don't have ANY time to properly care for their voices. So they should go out there and do what exactly? Sound exhausted? Cause that's literally all it would prove.

This happened in the last week of Astro's comeback promotions. They're singing live. Doesn't prove they sing. It proves that Eunwoo sounds exhausted and Moonbin is having trouble breathing at certain points.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or how about this performance of Turn Back Time... where no one sings during the chorus because the choreo is too demanding and someone is breathing so hard that it's all you can hear at certain points. Not to mention Ten forcing himself to hit a high note after three minutes of intense cardio and causing his voice to break. Didn't prove any of them could sing. Just proved their choreography is exhausting.

External Content www.youtube.com

Music shows aren't about proving anyone can sing or even if anyone can dance.. it's about promoting an album. That's it. And I'm sure it makes idols much more comfortable to lip sync than it is to be repeatedly dragged for a voice break. Heechul from Super Junior has talked about literally being afraid to sing live for YEARS because his voice broke one time during Super Junior's rookie days and he was mocked horribly for it.

• This is an NCT dream post so that's why I'm talking about them specifically, but I can list every group out there and post numerous videos of them lipsynching. Lipsyncing of course is a major industry problem. I agree that choreographies are becoming more technical and it clashes with live singing but we just watched NCT Dream sing Hot Sauce very well with live vocals and difficult choreography. They were more than capable of doing it as we saw, so why is this the only stage that was live? They had numerous stages for Hot Sauce and Dive into You but this was the only live performance. Again, as I said this isn't just an NCT problem. I can make this argument for any group and have in the past. Why did SM have NCT Dream only sing live one time in all their promotions so far when we know and have seen they are far capable of singing live to this song?

I don't really know the logic behind it. Some theories say they don't sing live in the first week to ensure an utmost precision of choreography execution, some say it's unsustainable because of the hectic schedule, but I don't know the answer, I just enjoy whatever live singing I can get lol.

• We're never going to see eye to eye on this. So at this point, I'm not going to reply anymore because all we will do is go back and forwards. I can understand some of your points and do agree with you. But at the end of the day if you lip sync more than you actually sing live why even bother putting on a mic anymore?

As for what you said about Heechul that's the unfortunate part about being famous. Heechul and many others get dragged for poor singing skills or voice breaks, and Renjun/NCT Dream the other week, and many others get dragged for lipsynching. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides and everyone is going to have different opinions regarding it. I don't mean to be rude to you or any artist it's just a concept I don't believe should be used more than not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!