People should stop being so western-centric when it comes to the growth of Kpop.

• We have these useless discussion because a lot of people see the growth of Kpop just in America, almost all stats and numbers that are provided in such discussions are American-centric.

When people talk about the growth of Kpop they mostly refer to the US market, yet the growth over there isn’t even comparable to growth Kpop had in Asia. The vast majority of Kpop Acts still make their money there (album sales, streaming, touring etc)

Especially SEA is the third biggest market for Kpop after Japan and China (THAAD couldn’t stop much).

Apart from a very few exceptions, the western market is not really the cash-cow for majority of Groups and won’t ever be. So I really dont get this obsession for western validation.

• This is very true. Imma success stan so i care about charts and sales, including Western ones. But for all of you regular stans who just love your faves and support them, there is no reason to care about BB200, Hot 100, US Spotify, etc., if your faves are succeeding at home.

And for almost all Kpop groups, they would rather have success in Korea than in the US or any other country. Imagine local acts flopping here but then achieving success in a rando foreign country like Germany or Brazil or Egypt - they would obviously appreciate their international fans but deep in their heart, they would probably give up all the international fame in exchange for becoming popular here at home.

• lol ppl are western-centric cause the industry is western-centric tho, companies have been desperate (and still are, even more tbh) to make it there for years and finally BTS paved the way for them) What's new about Japan, China, etc aka territories which were welcomed to and familiar with kpop already? I mean, of course, except for the China-ban which made it possible only for few idols to keep on promoting directly there but other acts still keep on growing there on their own anyway. The west was that difficult un-tapped territory which is now unlocked thanks to BTS and armys)

• YouTube and Spotify stats are not American centric and are primarily used for international discussion.

The only thing that gets left out is China charting which shame :pepefacepalm:

Yes, YouTubr and Spotify aren’t American centric. But these are not the favorite stats that are often used.

I really don’t know what it is with China, but they consume everything, even Bollywood is making huge money moves over there.

• they have a tiny bit of western validation right? that's enough to get nominated in award shows.

Not really tho. They get nominated if Koreans care enough.

Also apart from a one or two Award Shows, international fans can’t even vote for their faves and it’s all about physical and digital sales from Korea.

• Not really tho. They get nominated if Koreans care enough.

Also apart from a one or two Award Shows, international fans can’t even vote for their faves and it’s all about physical and digital sales from Korea.

I'm talking about western awards like BB Top Social Artist award. Of course for Korean award shows, they only need Korea's validation.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• lol ppl are western-centric cause the industry is western-centric tho, companies have been desperate (and still are, even more tbh) to make it there for years and finally BTS paved the way for them) What's new about Japan, China, etc aka territories which were welcomed to and familiar with kpop already? I mean, of course, except for the China-ban which made it possible only for few idols to keep on promoting directly there but other acts still keep on growing there on their own anyway. The west was that difficult un-tapped territory which is now unlocked thanks to BTS and armys)

This is all great and such but it doesn’t really do much if the US is still not the main cash-cow for Kpop Acts.

• Yes, YouTubr and Spotify aren’t American centric. But these are not the favorite stats that are often used.

I really don’t know what it is with China, but they consume everything, even Bollywood is making huge money moves over there.

Tbh they are tho. I hear more about YouTube or Spotify than billboard. Kpop acts don’t really chart enough on h100 for it to be something for all of kpop to talk about it. Bb200 is easy tbh not as hard. Just another measure of physical album sales.

I agree bb200 is not special. It’s just physical album sales that happens in America and when ppl list it as something separate from album sales and special I just ignore them. Kek.

But over all iTunes charting YouTube Spotify are all pretty global metrics kpop fans do talk about fairly often.

Wut? BP charted Bubbling Under before anybody knew who BTS was.

• Who even gets nominated apart from BTS and sometimes BP ? Except MTV who added a Kpop category. But even here nobody wins apart from BTS...

I mean they can try. MTV added a kpop category not long ago. There's still hope considering how western groups hardly have any impact in their own region.

Also, the world usually follows what's popular in the west. At least, that's kinda how it is in my country.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• Tbh they are tho. I hear more about YouTube or Spotify than billboard. Kpop acts don’t really chart enough on h100 for it to be something for all of kpop to talk about it. Bb200 is easy tbh not as hard. Just another measure of physical album sales.

I agree bb200 is not special. It’s just physical album sales that happens in America and when ppl list it as something separate from album sales and special I just ignore them. Kek.

But over all iTunes charting YouTube Spotify are all pretty global metrics kpop fans do talk about fairly often.

But they are used to talk about who the biggest Group overall is. Or just metrics used to update achievements.

But not really when the growth of Kpop is discussed. Especially this whole pave the way discussion is very American centric.

It’s Kpop was irrelevant before 2017.... but what they are referring to is the western market. As if Kpop only grew in the west.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!