People who stream are still “fans”

• People who are streaming the girl groups.

People who are streaming the soloists.

People who are streaming the “digimons”

Are all FANS and part of fandoms. Just because they don’t buy albums doesn’t make them less of a fan.

“BG stans will stream anything”

Thats actually exactly how I feel about digimons or soloists. They can release the same song over and over again and their “fandom” buys into it.

/end stale tea

• That's not really true tho. In recent years it's become clear for most "digimon" artists that success is extremely song dependent. Heize, Zion.t, Bol4, Zico, Epik High are all good examples.

• That's not really true tho. In recent years it's become clear for most "digimon" artists that success is extremely song dependent. Heize, Zion.t, Bol4, Zico, Epik High are all good examples.

Ofc I’m in specific talking about artists like IU. People who have hits and flops on the chart are different.

But groups like Big Bang, BP, Twice or soloists like IU hell even that show SMTM songs they are often fandom driven.

These ppl are often given the credit of being “GP”

If ppl consistently stream your songs, it’s fandom support.

• IU and Big Bang are in classes of their own, but neither one "releases the same song over and over". Twice has been digitally inconsistent for the past couple years now. I don't really know what other examples there are?

• IU and Big Bang are in classes of their own, but neither one "releases the same song over and over". Twice has been digitally inconsistent for the past couple years now. I don't really know what other examples there are?

Thats my subjective opinion and irrelevant to the point. It was merely a jab against ppl who come at BG music.

Yes and BGs are also in a class of their own. Just cause your fanbase in korean who don’t have interest in buying albums doesn’t make it any less a fanbase.

They are not inconsistent. Inconsistent will be dropping out of the charts quickly. In fact the fact that they get decent digitals no matter what they release is sign of their fandom.

Bol4 doesn't ever flop tbh

Out of the names you mentioned I only really hear Bol4 called a digimons

Even digimon idol groups don't always get a no.1, their song performance varies

• Bol4 doesn't ever flop tbh

Check out Bol4's performance for Puberty Book II from last May. Only the collab with Baekhyun did okay, the title song dropped fast.

• But groups like Big Bang, BP, Twice or soloists like IU hell even that show SMTM songs they are often fandom driven.

But twice hasn't given a hit since fancy. So they were very much gp driven.

Other than IU no one keeps on giving big hits. And even big bang. They r exceptions.

For a song to be successful u need non fans to like it. I am not a fan of dua lipa but i streamed dsn because i liked the song.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• But twice hasn't given a hit since fancy. So they were very much gp driven.

Other than IU no one keeps on giving big hits. And even big bang. They r exceptions.

For a song to be successful u need non fans to like it. I am not a fan of dua lipa but i streamed dsn because i liked the song.

Who said you need to be #1 to have a fandom tho.

Being top 20/30 with “poor” songs is in fact proof of the fandom.

• Except they do stream that’s the whole point lol.

It would be like a BG selling 700k in albums for one comeback, then another comeback selling 300k, then another comeback selling 500k, all within 2 years time. That's just not the same behavior. Fandoms are loyal - if they're not loyal, then they're not a fandom.

Digitally topping the charts with one song, then another song released 6 months later barely peaking in top 20 and dropping fast means casual listeners checked out the song but no longer bothered streaming if they didn't like it. BG fans don't listen to the songs first then decide they're not going to buy the album.

• It would be like a BG selling 700k in albums for one comeback, then another comeback selling 300k, then another comeback selling 500k, all within 2 years time. That's just not the same behavior. Fandoms are loyal - if they're not loyal, then they're not a fandom.

Digitally topping the charts with one song, then another song released 6 months later barely peaking in top 20 and dropping fast means casual listeners checked out the song but no longer bothered streaming if they didn't like it. BG fans don't listen to the songs first then decide they're not going to buy the album.

Who is talking about physical album sales. Lol. We are talking about digitals. BG digitals are called fandom driven and GG or soloists digitals are called GP.

I think you don’t understand the post try reading it again.

• Who is talking about physical album sales. Lol. We are talking about digitals. BG digitals ste called fandom driven and GG or soloists digitals are called GP.

I think you don’t understand the post try reading it again.

Because you're comparing BG stans to digimon "stans", right? BG stans are known to be loyal - they buy albums no matter what, even if they don't like the songs. That's different than how digimon "stans" behave regarding the digimons - if they don't like the music they don't stream. One belongs to a fandom, and the other one doesn't. If that's the case, then anyone who just checks out any new song once by an artist they like can be said to belong to their fandom.

I get that you don't like people belittling BG fans or their digital performance, but it's not a bad thing that they actually have loyal fans who will buy and consume whatever they release. Why treat it like an insult?

• Because you're comparing BG stans to digimon "stans", right? BG stans are known to be loyal - they buy albums no matter what, even if they don't like the songs. That's different than how digimon "stans" behave regarding the digimons - if they don't like the music they don't stream. One belongs to a fandom, and the other one doesn't. If that's the case, then anyone who just checks out any new song once by an artist they like can be said to belong to their fandom.

I get that you don't like people belittling BG fans or their digital performance, but it's not a bad thing that they actually have loyal fans who will buy and consume whatever they release. Why treat it like an insult?

They do stream that’s the whole point lol. I’m talking about the ppl with consistent digitals hits. Try reading the post again. I’m not talking about the ppl who don’t get streams. I’m talking about the ppl who get back to back hits and streams.

Twice back to back hits

BP back to back hits

Big Bang back to back hits

IU back to back hits

Are fandom driven.

• Who said you need to be #1 to have a fandom tho.

Being top 20/30 with “poor” songs is in fact proof of the fandom.

That I'll agree on. Entering top20 does show u have fans who'll listen to u. And ggs often have huge casual listener fanbase. Even some bgs like winner and btob have that.

But i am not sure if the bgs many people claim r fandom mass streamed r actually fandom mass streamed. Bad streams everywhere in SK and international.

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• But Twice hasn't had a hit since "Fancy". Sure, compared to artists who cannot chart digitally, everything they release comparatively is a hit, but their digital performance has clearly suffered because their music consumption has become more fandom-driven and less GP. It's also easier for trendy/popular artists to have back-to-back hits for 1-2 years because the hype from the previous hit song will help the next song, but unless they can sustain that past 1-2 years, the digital listeners fade away too. Those high listeners in the 1-2 years wasn't really a fanbase, it was just the hype surrounding the artist following a hit song.

For example, I check out every new Blackpink release on Spotify the day that the song drops because BP are popular and buzzworthy, but I don't consider myself part of their fanbase at all. After listening to the song 1-2 times on the day of release, if I don't like it, then I don't stream any more.

• Life Goes On and Black Swan dropped fast too

Depends on what you consider a flop

That was the first single as a one member act right?

Yes, it was the first comeback after the other member left. Bol4's title song "Hug" peaked on Gaon at #30 and then kept dropping after that, charting out completely from the Top 200 within a couple months. "Life Goes On" and "Black Swan" both had way better charting and stability than that.

• But Twice hasn't had a hit since "Fancy". Sure, compared to artists who cannot chart digitally, everything they release comparatively is a hit, but their digital performance has clearly suffered because their music consumption has become more fandom-driven and less GP. It's also easier for trendy/popular artists to have back-to-back hits for 1-2 years because the hype from the previous hit song will help the next song, but unless they can sustain that past 1-2 years, the digital listeners fade away too. Those high listeners in the 1-2 years wasn't really a fanbase, it was just the hype surrounding the artist following a hit song.

For example, I check out every new Blackpink release on Spotify the day that the song drops because BP are popular and buzzworthy, but I don't consider myself part of their fanbase at all. After listening to the song 1-2 times on the day of release, if I don't like it, then I don't stream any more.

Please read what I’ve said again.

• That I'll agree on. Entering top20 does show u have fans who'll listen to u. And ggs often have huge casual listener fanbase. Even some bgs like winner and btob have that.

But i am not sure if the bgs many people claim r fandom mass streamed r actually fandom mass streamed. Bad streams everywhere in SK and international.

If you take big3 GGs even their flopest or poorest of poor song will chart some what decently. For me it’s as much a fandom as anything else.

Whether it’s BG or GG casual listeners will always be responsible for boosting to a “viral” or “national” hit. That’s a given.

• Life Goes On and Black Swan dropped fast too

Depends on what you consider a flop

That was the first single as a one member act right?

Please bol4 is a complete flop these days. Very bad charting. BS and LGO r massive hits in front of her songs. LGO is doing decent anyways.

• Please read what I’ve said again.

I think ultimately we just have very different definitions for what counts as "digitally consistent". IU is really the only artist who can continually and over time release anything and it will top digital charts for minimum a few days, enough for a PAK, but I do consider her uniquely fanbase-driven compared to other soloists. The scale of her concerts in South Korea are evidence enough that her listeners are loyal.

• Bol4 doesn't ever flop tbh

The last one did flop , the pre release song did a bit better but the title track didn't really chart well.

• The fact that IU gets 150k ULs for 1st hour (which is about as double as anyone else) should be enough to show all artists are "fandom driven". No one is "GP" artist. Literally no one.

In my opinion, kpop fans need to get over term "GP". There is no one that is "GP". There are fans and there are casual listeners (sometimes non fans). Nothing more than that. Even 50 or 60 year olds are fans. They are just fans of other artists. In korea's case, trot artists.

It is simple. The songs with the best numbers and the biggest impact are hit songs. Doesn't matter if it's "fandom driven" or not. So get off that high horse kids.

Edit : Btw Tic_tac_toe what triggered this?

• This thread contains 37 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!