Does liking Kpop make you less/more racist?

• Not necessarily just liking Kpop itself, more the biases that come with it and how it can change the way you respond to certain things.

I feel like it's so different for everyone, that it's hard to tell.

I've seen kpop fans being racist and not even knowing it. They can be racist against asian or other races.

Also racism has so many different forms. It's different in US, Europe, Asia etc. The way people are racist is different in every country or culture.

It really depends on a person. Some people maybe become more open-minded and accepting learning about other cultures. For some it maybe makes them feel superior (sometimes even morally superior, which usually encourages the racism, they are unaware of, since they think how they're doing good and the right thing, but are racist towards someone else).

• I don't think it can make people more racist. Chances are those people already had racist ideologies before K-pop; it's just that their emotional attachment as a fan brings it out more.

That's what I meant, Kpop is just harmless music after all but aspects of it and being a fan can bring it out

I've also known people who literally throw away their morals for Kpop and say more racist things than they would usually be as a defensive response to scandals that happen within Kpop or fan wars etc, I guess it just depends on what kind of fan people are

• It doesn't really factor, in my opinion.

Racism is rooted in prejudices that are ingrained since early socialization. If you don't take the time to educate yourself, liking kpop won't have that much of an effect. You will just separate 'kpop idols' from 'asian people' in your mind, and that's it.

It's like asking if you still can be racist if you like Beyonce :pepe-life-support:

• Racism is a subjective social construct

Some people believe racism only exists when there’s a difference in power

99.9999999% of kpop fans have no power

Some people only classify 3 or 4 major races, others classify many sub-races, or intra-races within the same population like how nobility used to consider themselves different race from the peasants

So a better term to apply is prejudice because it encompasses all these factors

• It's always been like that. I remember watching a video from the 80's where people in London were getting interviewed about Michael Jackson touring in the city and most of them were pretty racist towards the singer, calling him names like "Wacko Jacko", although they were still "fans" of his music.

Also black Jazz musicians back in the 1940s ~ 1950s were massively popular among white people and you already know what they thought of black people. So yeah, liking Kpop will make you more open minded to a different language at best and that's pretty much it.

It's sad tbh, I think the fact that some will use the 'I'm a fan' excuse to defend themselves or try to prove they're not causing harm when they are has existed for a pretty long time. Michael Jackson is a good example of that. People can pick and choose what parts they like, and ignore or mock the rest.

• It doesn't really factor, in my opinion.

Racism is rooted in prejudices that are ingrained since early socialization. If you don't take the time to educate yourself, liking kpop won't have that much of an effect. You will just separate 'kpop idols' from 'asian people' in your mind, and that's it.

It's like asking if you still can be racist if you like Beyonce :pepe-life-support:

Agreed, especially with the separating Kpop idols from Asian people part

• Official Post

If you had racists tendencies before you listened to kpop then there's a good chance you still do after.

There are a lot of people who fetishize Asians who are probably into kpop. :peperain:

• I have to say it makes people less racist. Exposing yourself to a different culture/people will usually always have a positive effect. Kpop has definitely made me enjoy asian features more whether someone is korean or not, and has made me a little more understanding of colorism that certain asian countries have.

But yeah i think with dealing with dating preferences/prejudice, being exposed to alot of different and goodlooking asian features helps those who stigmatize asian men as ugly/nerdy/undesirable.

• Tbh i was created in such a peculiar vibe and i was taught since young that my face is not the only one in the world so I never considered myself racist neither did something to belittle others race, color or things in this scale.

Getting in kpop did help me to know more about asian culture as I started to look for more entertaining in thai, philippines, japanese and many more asian countries so it helped me to learn more rather than accepting others.

I always respected others religion, culture. I just didn't know how different it was from us. And i grow up watching Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee and many more so their different appearance was never a problem to me.

• There's no correlation when it comes to music/entertainment. Ppl can enjoy music of a certain race/culture and still don't have respect or care for the people and culture it's derived from.

But it sure as hell exposes the already ingrained prejudice and racism when it comes to defending their faves from cancellations, scandals etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!