Richest stockholders in K-Entertainment - BTS is 7 out of 30, but ...

• Is this before BTS contract renewals?

It is what they currently have, they were not given more shares, just voting rights in new contract atleast immediately. However, given their contract terms are not known to us, they could get more shares after some vesting period kinda like ESOPs. Since new contract begins in 2025 and part members were enlisted in military when contract was signed, if any new shares are to be given under the new contract, it might be in 2025 after they return.

• IUs shares is very likely a sign-on deal with put buybacks at an agreed minimum price by the majority owner kakao. Simply put its a part of her compensation package for signing on to the company.

Its likely she will continue to sell off her shares every other year until its basically close to 0%.

IU owns 22,5% as of 2024. The paper value of the company would be around 100billion won, and her remaning share is worth 22,5b won.

This is of course all internal and for all practical purposes the shares are basically worthless if IU leaves and signs with another label.

• Even BTS member won't get 20m each, but MHJ wants 150m…doesn't sound right.

Senior IU is above everyone for reals, and if she wanted 150m from Hybe, she has every right to do so then MHJ, think about it, IU legacy alone would make Hybe rewards her heavenly. All senior has to do is get her label Edam under Hybe and debut a group and a soloist to her liking.

#Onlyspeakfacts

:boredr: :siptear:

• It is more of a symbolic value, not that their tiny shrares will amount to anything

agreed. i was just saying that after 2025, depending on what they decided on this new contract, we will see if they got more shares and thus more power. i don't think so. i think if they want to have power to be actually important shareholders they will have to buy shares themselves. tbh after this mess, i would just dip. lmao

• IUs shares is more or less pointless/not any really value for her because she is more or less the only asset. So if she leave/quit it will not have much value.

• She owns 19.5% + 25.0% through her proxy = 43.5% as of now. (In Asia having proxies to own shares are quite common)

If she divests all of her shares, then it would be time for her to leave, but on paper, not counting all the monies she took out to buy real estate and travel to Japan with Lee Jongsuk and so forth, she still holds more stock value than a lot of better known names of KPop

• Even BTS member won't get 20m each, but MHJ wants 150m…doesn't sound right.

Senior IU is above everyone for reals, and if she wanted 150m from Hybe, she has every right to do so then MHJ, think about it, IU legacy alone would make Hybe rewards her heavenly. All senior has to do is get her label Edam under Hybe and debut a group and a soloist to her liking.

MHJ was guaranteed 70M but she got greedy and asked for $210M. which Bang thought was too much.

While each BTS member received much less.

At Kakao Entertainment she was the first singer and since its labels do not influence each other, she answered to no one when she owned her company, and now she appears to answer only to the head of Kakao Entertainment.

She already rejected a similar offer from YGE in 2017 so given the circus of MHJ I don't think Lee Jieun will give up the rights to do as she feels like.

• IUs shares is more or less pointless/not any really value for her because she is more or less the only asset. So if she leave/quit it will not have much value.

It did give her complete control , a title few other singers from her era ever attained.

Owning a company briefly ranked her among the same level as Bang, JYP and Sooman, something no other singers ever managed.

• It did give her complete control , a title few other singers from her era ever attained.

Owning a company briefly ranked her among the same level as Bang, JYP and Sooman, something no other singers ever managed.

Yes, I just meant it does not bring her a lot of future value or income is she is the only assets and the ends her contract and carriet. The owners in Hybe, like BTS members can end their contacts and still earning profit from their Hybe shares because Hybe is more than BTS even if they of cource are to biggest asset.

• As others have mentioned, IU's shares are purely symbolic and a vessel for Kakao to give her payment incentives for staying under contract. I say symbolic because I think regardless of her % holding in EDAM, she will always have the same say in her activities.

I'm also 100% sure BTS members bought other stock when they sold (parts) of their HYBE stock which imo is also the smart thing to do. No matter what numbers say, the promise of a BTS comeback is what keeps Hybe afloat both in reputation and evaluation. We've seen this happen with other top agencies that are now a shadow of their former glories. So I support the members disentangling themselves from their stock options, similar to IU they stock %s have no correlation with their say and influence within the company since they know they're the biggest asset.

• It is what they currently have, they were not given more shares, just voting rights in new contract atleast immediately. However, given their contract terms are not known to us, they could get more shares after some vesting period kinda like ESOPs. Since new contract begins in 2025 and part members were enlisted in military when contract was signed, if any new shares are to be given under the new contract, it might be in 2025 after they return.

They also should have some royalty rights now. so these numbers won't be as transparent.

• No wonder Scooter Braun is #5, the man is actually behind Hybe's success on Spotify

Payola pays well.

giphy.gif

• As others have mentioned, IU's shares are purely symbolic and a vessel for Kakao to give her payment incentives for staying under contract. I say symbolic because I think regardless of her % holding in EDAM, she will always have the same say in her activities.

I'm also 100% sure BTS members bought other stock when they sold (parts) of their HYBE stock which imo is also the smart thing to do. No matter what numbers say, the promise of a BTS comeback is what keeps Hybe afloat both in reputation and evaluation. We've seen this happen with other top agencies that are now a shadow of their former glories. So I support the members disentangling themselves from their stock options, similar to IU they stock %s have no correlation with their say and influence within the company since they know they're the biggest asset.

I think the Min Heejin show probably gave the members a rude awakening, to say the least.

After all the years of world conquest, they saw IU, who never really left Korea, getting richer than them and now Min Heejin was about to get much richer than them too if nothing had happened.

Bang has diversified enough to weather the potential departure of BTS, so does not need them anymore.

I do not see them contining in any capacity beyond 2027

• Their biggest hits overseas were not written by them so they won't be that significant

And it is clear that they are poorer than Lee Jieun, and Min Heejin if she had her way.

You are totally disregarding their brand value, they point at things and it turns into gold mine, now i think their percentage in those kinds of deal is lot higher, other two mentioned individuals can not do it. Also min would just steal money if according to you she has her way, their contract was never like such, also i don't think she will have her way, her weak points are legal, no matter how much she attacks hybe system and groups, one day it will die down and it's already begun, then no one would care about their verbal attacks and knowing how blunt she can be, she is just inviting defamation lawsuits against her which she would lose as well, that's just my opinion.

• You are totally disregarding their brand value, they point at things and it turns into gold mine, now i think their percentage in those kinds of deal is lot higher, other two mentioned individuals can not do it. Also min would just steal money if according to you she has her way, their contract was never like such, also i don't think she will have her way, her weak points are legal, no matter how much she attacks hybe system and groups, one day it will die down and it's already begun, then no one would care about their verbal attacks and knowing how blunt she can be, she is just inviting defamation lawsuits against her which she would lose as well, that's just my opinion.

Hybe owns the BTS name. So Hybe can always ruin them.

What was done by MHJ was kinda an industry standard, which would have been left alone if Min did not fight Bang.

Min does have her weak points since she is more of a planner than a businessperson, unlike Lee Jieun. She will probably lose in the court; her points are to make an impression so she has another chance.

However even if MHJ loses, the very fact that she was on the way to become richer than them would make them quite upset.

Lee Jieun does have some value in the Sinosphere, so her stage name does have some value.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!