is it what everybody call payola ???

• I see kpop fans throwing this word everywhere but i still don't know what it's suppose to mean most of the time kpop fans are using it about spotify

i saw some of you trying to explain what it is but i still couldn't understand

i stumble on this twitter video just now and wanted to know, is this consider as payola ? or it's totally something else and i would love if someone could explain to me by using a video or a picture to explain it

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• to me if it's related to spotify then it means the company paid to have a song playlisted

to me there's nothing wrong with that - it's just promotion no?

• its meant to mean secretly paying for radio spins but kpoppies like the word so much they use it for anything in the music industry they consider cheating

• I don't know much about charting, so any chart nerds here can explain the high spotify US stream numbers Magnetic got on their first and second day debut? Like 5-700k streams on your first week is VERY HIGH. They're basically rookie, no one knows them. Even Newjeans with that explosive popularity after their debut + playlisting have to climb pretty hard to reach that number with OMG. The song isnt even that great. It's a good song but thats it.

• If there's one thing I've learned about kpop stans, it's that they love using words they don't understand the meaning of. Case in point: "payola"

Agreed. Some even call a group visiting a fashion show 'payola' nowadays.

Imagine saying that about Western artists: "that singer had payola because they got invited to a fashion show." They will laugh in your face.

Kpop fandoms are crabs in a bucket. They still have far less advantages than artists signed under American labels (yes even the biggest groups/labels), but they'll pull and tear at each other at any perceived bit of success.

• Agreed. Some even call a group visiting a fashion show 'payola' nowadays.

Imagine saying that about Western artists: "that singer had payola because they got invited to a fashion show." They will laugh in your face.

Kpop fandoms are crabs in a bucket. They still have far less advantages than artists signed under American labels (yes even the biggest groups/labels), but they'll pull and tear at each other at any perceived bit of success.

It's especially funny to see them act like companies actually promoting their artists is a bad thing....as if that's not the point of record labels in the first place?

If Hybe could reliably pay their groups to the top of the charts, why haven't they done so with TXT? No offense to the guys, but Bang PD was really out here claiming they could hit #10 on BBH100 with the Jonas Brothers song.... :pepe-clown-gear: just completely out of touch and tone deaf to boot!

Is anyone going to complain about Babymonster being sent to Knowing Bros when their song isn't even a hit? Or does payola only apply to Hybe groups?

• It's especially funny to see them act like companies actually promoting their artists is a bad thing....as if that's not the point of record labels in the first place?

If Hybe could reliably pay their groups to the top of the charts, why haven't they done so with TXT? No offense to the guys, but Bang PD was really out here claiming they could hit #10 on BBH100 with the Jonas Brothers song.... :pepe-clown-gear: just completely out of touch and tone deaf to boot!

Is anyone going to complain about Babymonster being sent to Knowing Bros when their song isn't even a hit? Or does payola only apply to Hybe groups?

Tbh, I don't know what was going through his mind when he said that. TXT hasn't even gotten Hot100 entry but he expected them to enter Top 10. Not only did he put pressure on them but he set them up. Like did he even forgot how BTS first entry was at #85 before they had top 10, top 5 and #1s in Billboard hot 100.

• It's especially funny to see them act like companies actually promoting their artists is a bad thing....as if that's not the point of record labels in the first place?

Agreed about TXT.

Didn't know Bang PD said that, but best not to crow before you actually get anywhere on the charts. Don't think the Jonas Brothers are on the same level as they were before.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!