The Definitive 2023 Music Show Win Summary (or: It Really Was NewJeans' Year)

• yeah, it happened a little before proof was released. Bigbang didn't promote still life at all and I'm pretty sure they won on mcountdown. I think they also changed the digital points ctiteria to the circle global chart since all 3 of take two's wins were from mcountdown.

You're correct. "Still Life" received three wins back in April 2022, and here's what I have recorded with regard to BTS' wins on M Countdown:

2015-05-07: I Need U

2016-05-12: Fire

2016-10-20: Blood Sweat & Tears

2017-02-23: Spring Day

2017-09-28: DNA

2017-10-05: DNA

2018-05-31: Fake Love

2018-06-07: Fake Love

2019-04-25: Boy with Luv

2020-03-05: On

2022-06-16: Yet to Come

2022-06-23: Yet to Come

2022-06-30: Yet to Come

2023-06-22: Take Two

2023-06-29: Take Two

2023-07-06: Take Two

• At the MAMA Awards 2022, they made NewJeans perform on both days and going empty handed, while they created random new awards for other rookie groups half of whom performed worse than NJ that year. The only award NJ got wasn't even theirs. It was an award for their CEO. I suspect Ador regarded this as a huge disrespect to the NewJeans members and their hard work.

It's bullying and was basically Mnet's way of saying 'You're nothing without your CEO'. Mnet probably thought they could get away with that since they've bullied rookies since forever and always got their way since most companies were too scared to do anything against Mnet.

Got it. I was just looking at the Wikipedia article for the 2022 MAMA Awards. I see that NewJeans was nominated for Song of the Year, Best Dance Performance – Female Group, and Best New Female Artist. All of those awards ended up being won by IVE, which seems reasonable.

However, I do also see a Favorite New Artist category, and I agree that it doesn't make sense that NewJeans wasn't included there, so that's definitely a snub.

• Got it. I was just looking at the Wikipedia article for the 2022 MAMA Awards. I see that NewJeans was nominated for Song of the Year, Best Dance Performance – Female Group, and Best New Female Artist. All of those awards ended up being won by IVE, which seems reasonable.

However, I do also see a Favorite New Artist category, and I agree that it doesn't make sense that NewJeans wasn't included there, so that's definitely a snub.

There's also a rumor they weren't meant to attend both days and they actually cancelled a schedule to attend day 2 because Mnet said they'd get an award on day 2 (which is when they announce the big awards like roty, soty and the ones they were more likely to get best dance or fave female group...only for it to be MHJ's award. They did a live phoning right after the show and all their eyes were clearly puffy from crying, so yeah MHJ hit the roof and went all in with the boycott.

My guess is they were meant to perform day 1 (considering the joint rookie stage was also day 1 as was NMIXX, LSF and Kep1er's stages), didn't expect any award apart from maybe the fave new artist which was presented on day 1 so they made plans for day 2. But then Mnet wanted to move their performance date to day 2 to better spread the anticipated stages and told them about the second day award to convince them to come (IVE did the same so who knows if this was originally planned for them or if it was later moved, plus they were clearly going to get some big awards).

• didn't expect any award apart from maybe the fave new artist which was presented on day 1

What you're saying seems plausible. However, do we know why they didn't win Favorite New Artist? It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't win, unless Mnet was trying to be spiteful.

• CJ&M continues to struggle with their idol groups.

• What you're saying seems plausible. However, do we know why they didn't win Favorite New Artist? It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't win, unless Mnet was trying to be spiteful.

MAMA being spiteful 1000% - when there is a big group that made big achievements that year but lost out on the big award they normally give them some other award to make up for it and make clear the daesang/big award isn't going to you this year (e.g. giving best vocal performance to ikon instead of mamamoo in 2018 to make up for love scenario not getting the daesang, then making up/giving mamamoo favourite vocal performance to make up for getting shafted. They also gave stray kids most popular group and Idle fave female group because they didn't get daesangs). They've also done this with rookie awards (e.g. in 2018 when they gave ROTY to IZone, they gave Idle a 'best of next' award, same with 2017, ROTY to Pristin, best of next to Chungha and most famously, giving IOI ROTY over Blackpink who got the best of next and best MV in 2016).

The award being split was expected considering the lineup that year, but if the ROTY was going to IVE, according to past behaviour Newjeans would have gotten the favourite award alongside the rest. If they were looking to exclude someone to make it not look like they all got one, (considering they don't want beef with the rest of HYBE or JYP and kep1er being theirs) IVE would be the group since they'd clean up in every other category and MAMA already knew that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!