NewJeans has set the freaking bar for girl group dominance at year-end awards shows

• Credit to @NewJeansCharts as usual for the easily referenced stat compilation

• First female artist to win both Artist of the Year and Song of the Year at both MAMA and MelOn Music Awards in a single year
    • First girl group to win Artist of the Year at MelOn Music Awards since Girls' Generation in 2010
    • First female artist to win Artist of the Year at MAMA since Girls' Generation in 2011
    • First and only 4th gen group to win Artist of the Year daesang
    • First girl group to win multiple daesang awards at both MMA and MAMA in the same year since Girls' Generation in 2009 (MMA) and 2NE1 in 2010 (MAMA)
    • Tied with IVE for most daesang awards for a 4th gen group (5)
    • First and only 4th gen girl group to win Best Female Group
    at MAMA
    • Only non-Japanese track to win Song of the Year (Ditto) at Japan Record Awards
    • First winner of Billboard Top Global K-pop Artist at the Billboard Music Awards
    • One of only 2 K-pop girl groups with an award from the Billboard Music Awards
    • One of the first 2 girl groups to win an award at the Billboard Music Awards since Destiny's Child in 2005

Even if you are not a fan of NewJeans, if you're a fan of girl group music, this is a huge win. It has been as long as 13 years since we've seen some of these achievements; and some of them we've never seen.

All accomplished by a girl group that's 1 year and 4 months old, with 2 mini albums and 1 single album and a grand total of 12 songs between those 3 albums.

What these girls have already accomplished, after just recently graduating from rookie status, is special. They came crashing into the K-Pop landscape like a meteor, and their impact is still sending shockwaves across the industry.

As a huge fan of their music, I can't wait to see and listen to what's next.

BunniesTaglist  

F_Wzw4raoAAU9dN.png

GAVaIPqbEAAPgCI.png

• It is quite impressive.

However this year's award shows so far have felt so... uneventful, I jut can't put my finger on it. :emotionalpepe:

They used to be a big deal but this year it was blink and you miss it.

As much as I like New Jeans I didn't like how they stripped down their songs tbh. It felt like something was missing. Super Shy could have been huuuge, filling the stage with LOADS of back dancers. It's such a viral choreography. I felt a bit let down to be honest.

LSF last year had an amazing performance, but due to the lousy MAMA this year, it just felt ok.

I don't know. I feel... empty as a kpop fan to be honest.

• I'm happy to see so much engagement over the unprecedented success of NewJeans this year.

Thank you for your comments.

Whether you celebrate the historic accomplishments or expose your insecurities by complaining about them, it's all validation of their efforts :pepe-toast:

• Fair. I could share my thoughts on the awards show performances themselves (SHINEE KILLED IT LIKE ALWAYS), but that isn't really the point of the thread.

It's really cool to see a girl group doing something that hasn't happened over an entire generation of K-Pop and change, and I'm just personally happy it's also a girl group whose music I ador 8o

• I dunno, I think Ive channeled their inner high school musical but not in a good way. BM members would have been watching and laughing their arses off at their attempt at girl crush.

idk man i dont rate ive as performers but atleast their stuff wouldnt be laughed at if you showed it to an unbiased person, unlike BM...

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!