NewJeans has set the freaking bar for girl group dominance at year-end awards shows

• That pesky boy group BTS finally is out of the way. New Jeans did well and deserve the awards

They have two years to make more history :eyes:

But the girl group daesang drought has been a thing since before Hybe even existed as a label.

We all know these shows tend to favor boy groups and boy group fandoms historically. I don't think that's a hot take.

So I'm glad to see NJ bring home trophies for the girl group fans

• Jjangjeans!!

It’s awesome seeing a gg dominate Daesang wins this year! Hope it continues.

I just wish those NCT Dream fans in the arena had been less obnoxious. At least cheer and shine your light sticks for other artists, instead of going completely mute. They were so freaking disrespectful to both NewJeans and IVE during their speeches.

I really wish more girl group fans made it to these shows, but I've read that NCT Dream was the first group announced for the MMAs (not by accident, I'm sure) and it may have been an influence.

And incidents like these are why I don't mind these awards being in other countries.

If they ever come to the U.S., we WILL show the girls, ALL of them, tremendous love.

• Before BTS there was EXO. I mean right now there is no huge boygroup that has gripped Korea. I mean there is but they are currently in the military. Since basically 2013 until 2022. Either EXO or BTS were dominating award season. Meaning Girl groups could really only win secondary awards like SOTY. This is the first year in over a decade where there is not a mega boy groups snatching those awards. But even saying that NJs had such a fantastic year that they might have won regardless. They did great.

• Before BTS there was EXO. I mean right now there is no huge boygroup that has gripped Korea. I mean there is but they are currently in the military. Since basically 2013 until 2022. Either EXO or BTS were dominating award season. Meaning Girl groups could really only win secondary awards like SOTY. This is the first year in over a decade where there is not a mega boy groups snatching those awards. But even saying that NJs had such a fantastic year that they might have won regardless. They did great.

I'm definitely not delusional enough to think NewJeans could win over BTS, the biggest group in K-Pop history, were they active, but it always felt like these awards either used the excuse of seniority or just pandering to the traditionally larger fandoms to make sure the big prizes always went to boy groups. So I am so happy to see NewJeans take home hardware that a girl group hasn't won since before even I was into K-Pop.

This was not just a win for NewJeans but a great victory for all girl groups. A girl group getting two daesangs at a show they didn't even attend? I didn't even think that would be possible at MAMAs.

That’s true, it’s the year for girl groups it seems. When Exo was active, awards were still being split between all the big names, like there was no outright one group dominating, ahhh I remember those days lol 😂 I blame BTS, they’ve dominated every award since 2019 as no one has came close to their numbers, since the BWL era. Although without them or another big act, these award shows do seem to be invisible, I forgot it was on this year 😂

• You’re not wrong

As a girl group to win Artist of the Year you need to leave no doubt which NewJeans did.

The award shows will try and find every reason to award boy groups the biggest awards if possible

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!