NewJeans debut reminds me of the way people talk about Apink's debut

• According to second gen fans, Apink debuted back when the industry was overstated with mature/sexy concepts. People were getting tired of it and wanted something new, and then Apink debuted with a soft, innocent concept that was the opposite of what was trendy while still modernizing the concept for this new audience. That kind of reminds me of the response to NewJeans debut. From 2019 to late 2022, the girl crush concept and louder more experimental songs were everywhere. The girl group sphere was heavily overstaurated with this concept and people were getting tired of the same thing over and over again. And then NewJeans debuted with a chill yet catchy R&B track, a youthful concept, and natural makeup and people ate it up. Phrases like "refreshing" and "a breath of fresh air" were thrown around when Attention dropped. They also modernized the dying innocent concept by incorporating technology and colorful y2k to target the modern audience.

(this is also partially why I think IVE did so well, while thier chaebol concept does have elements of girl crush, it was different enough that it still separated itself from the heavy girl crush that dominated the industry in 2021)

💞 💞

• Daileemidzy

Changed the title of the thread from “NewJeans debut reminds my of the way people talk about Apink's debut” to “NewJeans debut reminds me of the way people talk about Apink's debut”.
  • Idk if nj’s debut is similar to apink’s, but you got the timing of kpop’s chronology wrong lol. Apink debuted in 2011, while the sexy concept didn’t really explode on a wide scale until 2012 (pioneered by sistar) and reached its peak in popularity around 2013-2015. 2011 was still largely influenced by music trends like hiphop, autotune, etc. and the edgy, futuristic aesthetics a la 2ne1. But apink’s debut definitely was not following trends at the time

• I think both IVE and New Jeans broke through the GG noise.

New Jeans more than anything because while IVE came in with just classic pop that was extremely well written and catchy, New Jeans went completely opposite to what the trend was, which makes them stand out more in juxtaposition.

But yeah, as soon as IVE blew up with Love Dive, I knew hard core girl crush was on it's way to dying.

Then New Jeans came and sealed the deal.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• There is no equivalent to the way NewJeans debuted. We may look back on it years from now as a historic precedent or really a one-time accomplishment of perfectly capturing lightning in a bottle.

The sudden release with zero teasers, the instant hit songs and the immediate ascension into the record books and K-Pop stratosphere is something we've literally never seen before.

NewJeans debuted with stronger branding than what most groups develop over the lifetime of their entire contract. ADOR has been hitting nothing but homeruns and it's been a master class in marketing honestly.

I've been a kpop fan for 11 years and I've never seen anything like this.

• Tbh girl crush still is alive and well. aespa,Le Sserafim and g idle recent cbs are all variations of it., as well as Itzy and Nmixx, not mention Babymonster seem to be going for that sound as well. Even Ive experimented a bit with gc in Kitsch.

Nj and Fifty Fifty are currently the only exceptions. Ive isnt really gc, they just have pop music without being either too soft or girl crush, but they did experiment with it.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Tbh girl crush still is alive and well. aespa,Le Sserafim and g idle recent cbs are all variations of it., as well as Itzy and Nmixx, not mention Babymonster seem to be going for that sound as well. Even Ive experimented a bit with gc in Kitsch.

Nj and Fifty Fifty are currently the only exceptions. Ive isnt really gc, they just have pop music without being either too soft or girl crush, but they did experiment with it.

That's why I mentioned hardcore GC.

GC still exists, but the hard core variation popularized by BlackPink is not the leading sound anymore. Even Aespa has softened up and while still girl crush, they have leaned more into a pop version of it.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!