5 K-pop Associations oppose new law protecting underage artists

• pasted-from-clipboard.png

The agencies claim that the revision’s strengthened and more specific limitations on underage stars’ work hours hinder their activities.

Prior to the change, the Popular Culture Art Industrial Development Act stipulated that pop culture artists under the age of 15 can work a maximum 35 hours a week, and maximum 40 hours a week for those 15 or above until they reach the adult age of 19.

The revision, however, categorized ages and work hours in more detail. Now under the new regulation, pop culture artists under 12 can work up to 25 hours a week and six hours per day; those between ages 12 and 15 can work up to 30 hours a week and seven hours per day; and maximum 35 hours a week and seven hours per day for those 15 or older.

“The industry has complied with the law's limit on working hours for teenagers under the age of 15,” stated the five organizations.

“Additional regulations are unnecessary and will limit the activities of idol groups, which consist of members of various ages. It will weaken the competitiveness of the pop culture industry.”

“It is unfair that [other non-celebrity] students can study until late at night, but teenagers who want to grow into worldwide pop artists are not allowed to do the activities they want,” the statement continues. The five organizations are currently requesting the age limit clause in question to be deleted, as well as a discussion with the industry regarding other clauses.

Other parts of the revision regarding underage celebrities’ protection also include a ban on excessive management on appearance (such as excessive weight loss), coercion of unhealthy or dangerous actions, physical abuse, verbal abuse and sexual harassment, and skipping or dropping out of school.

Five K-pop associations slam revisions to act related to young stars
    Five associations in Korea’s pop culture industry issued a statement on Tuesday urging that the clause on strengthening regulations on underage celebrities’…
    koreajoongangdaily.joins.com

• not that useless KMCA being loud again.

But would be ironic if this time the government does end up listening/caving in to the demands of the kpop industry. I remember that not that long ago they completely ignored them :suure:

• AESPA literally just said they only sleep 5 hours a week when they are promoting.

They are not an outlier. Of course they are all adults, so these rules don't apply to them. But, even 13 year olds like Hyein promote on music shows, and we all know that music shows will have you up from like 4 am to 2 am the next night.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Yeah they're totally advocating for the idols and definitely NOT for their own greed🙄.

If these rules are so bothersome just dont debut middle schoolers. Honestly the Government should pass a law banning idols under 16 from debuting.

• They are bribed by big agencies

Big agencies didnt raise a stink directly so they paid someone else to do their dirty work

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Love the responses. Everyone sees through the nonsense.

Kids need rest. Kids need sleep, WAY MORE than grown ass adults who can function just fine with 6 six hours, even less, although more sleep is always better of course.

The limits seem almsot perfect, i'd also like to see restrictions on time periods so that the kids can be guaranteed to get at least 9 hours of sleep per day. If you force a kid to work until 10pm, you better not force him or her wake up at 5 AM the next day.

• Why I'm not surprised? I think this law will work more in paper than anything. Practice hours, recording and things like this won't be counted, I doubt they will be checking strictly each agency.

I'm sure some "fans" here will agree with those assholes

Hope Wake One respects the law and do not make Yujin work more hours than defined

Gunwook too, he's a minor in Korea (but finished school this year with 04 liners)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Love the responses. Everyone sees through the nonsense.

Kids need rest. Kids need sleep, WAY MORE than grown ass adults who can function just fine with 6 six hours, even less, although more sleep is always better of course.

The limits seem almsot perfect, i'd also like to see restrictions on time periods so that the kids can be guaranteed to get at least 9 hours of sleep per day. If you force a kid to work until 10pm, you better not force him or her wake up at 5 AM the next day.

there not getting rest anyways, this doesnt include being a trainee, which could be more stressful then being an idol, instead of working for money, your spending all hours training for free in hopes to make money

this law is just pandering bs

• Why I'm not surprised? I think this law will work more in paper than anything. Practice hours, recording and things like this won't be counted, I doubt they will be checking strictly each agency.

Gunwook too, he's a minor in Korea (but finished school this year with 04 liners)

Gyuvin also only turns 19 im august. I wasn't aware Korea legal maturity was only reached with the age of 19

• “Additional regulations are unnecessary and will limit the activities of idol groups, which consist of members of various ages. It will weaken the competitiveness of the pop culture industry.”

it will weaken the competitiveness of the pop culture industry????

Dude, what the heck? Why do you put all that competitiveness to the shoulder of 14 y.o? Shouldn't that be a company's job??? Your company aren't staffed with a bunc of middle schooler right?

“It is unfair that [other non-celebrity] students can study until late at night, but teenagers who want to grow into worldwide pop artists are not allowed to do the activities they want,”

and what the heck with this logic?

Have you ever surveyed how many students that are happy to take a cram class? Have you ever asked how many of them that are stressed because they are being pressed by their parents to study so that they can enter top prestige uni???

"...not allowed to do the activities they want"

Bitch, do those students even want to learn maths, english and social literature for all day long?

"The activities they want" my ass.

What they want is playing like a normal kids around their age. What they want is going here and there, traveling, shopping, watching gigs, gaming in pc bang, karaokeing, etc etc.

Maybe only 1 out of 30 that wants to study all day long. Heck even if a student love reading, they'll choose reading other books or material rather than the same school books.

And those teenager who want grow as an idol?

Well you genius, this regulations didn't restrict them to practice. This will just restrict you guys to make them work for you more than they should. IT'S A RULE FOR YOUR OLD ASS.

Lol, if they want to grow they can practice everywhere. Unless you old geezers limit the use of practice room in the companies outside work hour (which you don't, unless you are a broke ass company that can't pay your electricity bills)

Most idols also do some additional light training in their dorm, so your argument isn't valid dear old man.

It's you guys and your ego and your greed and your lazy ass that can't take this. You guys only see them as a resource right? As a company's assets?

Never see them as a human first right?

And pathetically only using the "teenager" card for a moment like this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!