Vietnamese fans turns their backs on Hanni because of her parents political views....

• As someone who was born in Vietnam but have lived half of my life overseas, I noticed that extremely talented people can be found anywhere regardless of citizenship, race, gender, ethnicity. But somehow the world does not see it that way and still hold prejudices against some countries/races. Plus, wealthy or famous countries will always get first pick and provided with more opportunities.

That is why Hanni has opened the door for millions of Vietnamese people. Kpop companies are literally starting to seriously consider Vietnam when they are looking for talents now. Some Vietnamese people dont realize how lucky they are to have her as representative. I mean it could literally be anyone else. And now they are trying to cancel her for her parents political views. I just gave up at this point.

• it’s weird because prior to this, lots of VN comments were talking about how little Viet she speaks in an endearing way, and she was mostly regarded as an Australian girl with Viet ancestry

The switch up to her being labelled as a traitor was so fast, but I have very little context so I don’t want to speak about the issue too much

To give you context:
    - They already got issue with NJs bc of Danielle's CNY controversy not long ago

- NJs already have a lot of haters from rival groups' and Big 3 stans who are bitter about NJs' fast success. But recently, because of MHJ's interview and Hybe's sabotages to BTS solos, V-Armys have also turned their backs on them too. I rarely see positive comments about NJs recently because haters can easily manipulate comments on popular articles about NJs. vnets are sometimes more vile than knets because they don't have to care about being sued by kpop companies.

- Now they found out about Hanni's family supporting the old regime, their claim is that it's hard to believe Hanni has nothing to do with it because traditionally, family members would have same political beliefs. The fact that Hanni doesn't know much Vietnamese further supports that claim because "she doesn't care about her roots"

--> Yeah so all of that makes it very easy for them to turn their backs on her.

• I mean there is definitely animosity between refugees who fled the country and the government, my parents included. The former South Vietnam flag is flown in many parts of the Western world with large Vietnamese populations. Definitely would be literally caught dead having it Vietnam itself.

Generally, the first generation immigrants agree with their parents on this stance but it is not nearly as strong as they have not directly dealt with the conflict or fled the country. She probably loves the Vietnamese people and culture and that's what it should be all about. And love it or not, she is a major boost for Viet representation in kpop if you care about that sort of thing.

I didn't even know Hanni was a first generation immigrant. Thought she was straight up Vietnamese. So I guess I learned something today.

• To give you context:

- NJs already have a lot of haters from rival groups' and Big 3 stans who are bitter about NJs' fast success. But recently, because of MHJ's interview and Hybe's sabotages to BTS solos, V-Armys have also turned their backs on them too. I rarely see positive comments about NJs recently because haters can easily manipulate comments on popular articles about NJs. vnets are sometimes more vile than knets because they don't have to care about being sued by kpop companies.

- Now they found out about Hanni's family supporting the old regime, their claim is that it's hard to believe Hanni has nothing to do with it because traditionally, family members would have same political beliefs. The fact that Hanni doesn't know much Vietnamese further supports that claim because "she doesn't care about her roots"

so the rival Stan’s and antis haven’t changed opinion, but what about the casual population, where does this land on the seriousness scale

• so the rival Stan’s and antis haven’t changed opinion, but what about the casual population, where does this land on the seriousness scale

Casual population don't care lol. The usual Vietnamese people, especially the youth here (VN has very young population) don't care much about politics in general.
    "where does this land on the seriousness scale"

No where. The usual haters might use this to drag them forever though but as i said, it doesn't matter.

• Casual population don't care lol. The usual Vietnamese people, especially the youth here (VN has very young population) don't care much about politics in general.
    "where does this land on the seriousness scale"

No where. The usual haters might use this to drag them forever though but as i said, it doesn't matter.

gotcha, thank you!

• gotcha, thank you!

this won't hurt New Jeans' popularity much but it will be stressful for Hanni's family though. As i read her mom just closed her facebook this morning, so they must know about this controversy. I just hope this won't affect Hanni personally...

• To give you context:

Vietnamese netizens viler than Knetz? Not so hung up in fanwar but knetz totally demolished them during the Da Nang quarantine tourist case. Knetz went rampaged on every vietnamese related videos. What I'm afraid of now is many the more right wing knetz will once again use this oppertunity to spread more hatred against Vietnam. They can use the excuse to say Hanni isn't even vietnamese.

• ...she dont know speak Vietnamin ...i know the kpop stans Vietnam re biggest haters esp toward female idols ive bp twice now nj...i think they re worstest than indo ones..vt re really nasty and jealous netizens

They re obessed for treated bad the kpop idols...

She is Lucky for get part in big company.Asleast she get protected by ador law sue...

• I'm 100% Viet myself and I'm furious at my own ppl for trying to cancel a child barely old enough to vote for some political bs that she's got nothing to do with.

I even asked my granpa - a war vet btw- about the whole situation and in short he said: "what does the kid have to with it?". And these modern day "Patriots" are just out here talking trash about Hanni as if they were personally a part of the war, like tone down your blind patriotism fr.

I got nothing against patriotism, I love my country but I'm not about to drive a human being to the ground just because of some conflict that happened 50 yrs ago. Kpop is a stressful industry and I don't want another Sulli pls

• I love the fact that as an upcoming idol, apparently not only do *you* have to be perfect, but you have to keep an eye on your *entire* family to make sure they toe the ‘acceptable’ line…

And not even upcoming, any idol is susceptible to being "tarnished" by something any friend or family does as long as they are seen as "supportive" of that person even if its not about the issue at hand. And they are seen as guilty if they do not "cancel" the person as the knetz mob wants. I cannot stand this, for real. It's sickening. Tolerance is a alien concept.

• I just found out about this issue on reddit. If I'm not mistaken, the South Vietnam flag is a quite common symbol used by the Vietnamese diaspora overseas; at least among those who fled during/before the war I suppose. It might be more prominent in the US too. So I'm not too suprised that it appears in a Vietnamese-Australian home somewhere, namely Hanni's parents'.

I didn't know Vietnamese of Vietnam had an issue with it though. I'm sure the older generation who experienced the civil war must have a more nuanced approach to it; but the younger ones must have been led to believe the South were the bad guys, just like the Kuomintang were the bad guys in Chinese official history. Something like that?

Anyway I think it's a bit silly to hold accountable an 18yo for such things this but it's not the first time I witness this (H1-KEY had a somewhat similar controversy last year). Hopefully Hanni won't suffer too much from it.

• As someone who was born in Vietnam but have lived half of my life overseas, I noticed that extremely talented people can be found anywhere regardless of citizenship, race, gender, ethnicity. But somehow the world does not see it that way and still hold prejudices against some countries/races. Plus, wealthy or famous countries will always get first pick and provided with more opportunities.

That is why Hanni has opened the door for millions of Vietnamese people. Kpop companies are literally starting to seriously consider Vietnam when they are looking for talents now. Some Vietnamese people dont realize how lucky they are to have her as representative. I mean it could literally be anyone else. And now they are trying to cancel her for her parents political views. I just gave up at this point.

Yeah I so agree with you! For myself, I'm half viet but I feel vietnamese even though I'm very assimilated to western culture.

Luckily, Vietnam is a very insignificant market for Kpop(no pun intended), and the fact that this situation has been confined in Vietnam and no major overseas outlets has written about it, proves my point. Well, none Hybe group has even visited Vietnam except for BTS in their early days, so doesn't matter so much for Hanni anyways.

It' a shame she probably won't speak vietnamese from now on to her fans, but it is what it is. I was doubting myself today if it was a good idea to make this thread and when I think about it now, I should not.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!