RE: Do you find it weird that BTS’s biggest hits in America are all bright, bubblegum songs and not their emo/hiphop songs?

• I don't find it weird at all. American top 40 has, for several years, probably over-represented the more dreary songs. In 2019 (when Boy With Luv was released) the most upbeat top 10 song was Sucker by the Jonas Brothers. In 2020 (when Dynamite was released), it's probably Adore You by Harry Styles. In 2021 (when Butter was released), it's the increased tempo version of Levitating by Dua Lipa. They stand out a lot in the market with their bright, upbeat songs when so many other artists are releasing midtempo or moody songs. I like moody BTS too, but if they tried to release an introspective song, well them and everyone else. (It's not surprising that Dynamite's year-end chart performance on the Global 200 was 5, and Life Goes On was 133.)

OP

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• No

at that time the ethos of the world was different. People wanted some comfort, something to breathe on

Nobody outside of K-O-R-E-A had time for emo style songs. Otherwise Eight would have won Billboard #1 long before dynamite

• Some of the biggest songs here like "Hey Ya" "Finesse" and "Happy" to name a few, were all released during moody and heavy trap-based seasons. BTS saw the climate they were in and capitalized on the retro funk trend that came back in 2019 here.

• I'm not surprised because those bubble gum songs happened to be in English.

I believe it's still an issue about the language. Majority still want to listen to something they can easily understand or sing along to. It's a sad thing but that's the way it is, at least, as far as most Americans are. I bet if the songs like Dope or Blood Sweat and Tears were written in full English and only get released now, they would be a hit with American GP.

Selena Just Saying GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• not me! bring on edgy bts!!! :flying:

or like their more rap/hip-hop songs. personally i LOVE No More Dream, DOPE, UGH!, Attack On Gangtan and other songs with that style but every bangtan song is awesome :pepe-dj:

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• or like their more rap/hip-hop songs. personally i LOVE No More Dream, DOPE, UGH!, Attack On Gangtan and other songs with that style but every bangtan song is awesome :pepe-dj:

yes!! i've gotten to appreciate their cheery songs more, but their hip-hop songs will always be the most killer for me :pepemusic:

• People who know nothing about BTS' history, aka non -Armys, say this.

Mic Drop remix charted for 10 weeks on BB Hot 100 and this was late 2017 - early 2018, mind you when Armys were not even half the size they were in 2020

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So no its not just their bright songs that do well in US

• yes!! i've gotten to appreciate their cheery songs more, but their hip-hop songs will always be the most killer for me :pepemusic:

yeah! i also forgot to add cypher pt. 3 , which is my favorite in the cyphersongs, of which there are four :dancer-pepe:

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!