So Chinese Sales Are Counted...?

• Seeing a Chinese act on the IFPI song list suprised me because I wasn’t really sure if Chinese sales were counted but obviously they are.

I’m suprised that some other acts who are big in China like taylor swift didn’t have a single included on this list then.

Anyways congratulations to all the artists who made the list. The Weeknd deserved his top spot with blinding lights and of course so happy to see my kings BTS be number 10 with dynamite. I’m so proud of what they’ve achieved.

So is anyone else suprised to discover Chinese sales were counted?

• I’m suprised that some other acts who are big in China like taylor swift didn’t have a single included on this list then.

Cause she didn't have a hit single. If they are reported they'll be included.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• i am suprised. I had no idea about the guy who charted cause I thought others were more famous as ppl here always talk about them as biggets solos in China.

It's crazy that he made it when I suppose the Chinese sales are weighted.

• The one that sold well in China last year for Taylor Swift was folklore, which was an album not a single, so no, she didnt really do that well in China/ even release a single to be sold separately(?)

• If sales were reported as they should have, dude had approx 40M to 50M sales weighted and only got his single to 7th place .

Taylor or any kpop artist claiming to be big in china haven't sold anywhere near that lmao so not surprising in the least.

Only people who would be actually shocked are those who equate the ipfi account with stan accounts reporting sales on twitter :-)

Albums reveal next week would be interesting too !

• It's surprising because S.E.S and Fin.K.L albums were distributed in China and there are no official numbers regarding their Chinese sales. Their discs were mixed up too and people actually got an S.E.S cd within a Fin.K.L packaging and vice versa. I don't know how China suddenly became so relevant in stable album sales.

• It's surprising because S.E.S and Fin.K.L albums were distributed in China and there are no official numbers regarding their Chinese sales. Their discs were mixed up too and people actually got an S.E.S cd within a Fin.K.L packaging and vice versa. I don't know how China suddenly became so relevant in album sales.

These are song sales, but last year Taylor's China sales were added.

• Official Post

Taylor didn't have a hit single there though at least in 2020. But folklore/evermore sold REALLY well there so you can expect those 2 albums to be on the albums list(she was probably going to be on the list regardless)

Plus these sales are reported from the label, so if the label doesn't submit then you won't appear on the list.

Why would anyone be surprised? This is a WORLDWIDE chart....China is still part of the world, no?

anyway are we surprised to see Xiao Zhan SMASHING :siptear:

• If sales were reported as they should have, dude had approx 40M to 50M sales weighted and only got his single to 7th place .

Taylor or any kpop artist claiming to be big in china haven't sold anywhere near that lmao so not surprising in the least.

Only people who would be actually shocked are those who equate the ipfi account with stan accounts reporting sales on twitter :-)

It’s so crazy to me that he has over 40 million sales and yet is only 7th. People had me believing that even 10% of those sales he got in China would cause songs to chart :eyes:

• It’s so crazy to me that he has over 40 million sales and yet is only 7th. People had me believing that even 10% of those sales he got in China would cause songs to chart :eyes:

It’s cos those sales are cheap af. It doesn’t carry the same merit as a hit song elsewhere.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So 50 million sales is around 1.48m units. That means one chinese sale is 29.6 paid stream units. By billboard US rules one global sale is 125 paid stream units. So 1 chinese sale is around 1/4 of a global sale unit.

Or if we go by Billboard Global 200 rules, global sale is 200 paid stream units, one chinese sale is 14% of a global sale unit.

• I'm not. I had looked up previous years and saw that a chinese artist had already charted. Its just that their sales are weighed cause of the price of them in the country. So for chinese artists to chart their songs... they need to sell an extremely high amount of copies to chart (eg. Xiao Zhan selling 40-50M and being #7). All acts chinese sales would have probably been counted but also weighed like Xiao Zhan's was. His is just the only visible weighing cause he pretty much has most of his units from China.

• idek that song but congrats to him :pepe-toast: still, justice for circles

• I am so happy for BTS and Xiao Zhan.

MTL was one of his projects after the scandal and the extreme hate he got so fans wanted to show him their love and support. If I am not wrong the song cost 39 cents but with 50mil sales, he got almost 20 mil euros in total.

• A bit more than Dynamite, the weighting logic should be based on revenues roughly. But Dynamite didnt make all that much for BTS, the money is in albums.

Hmm still pretty cool especially if u consider about how big dynamite was

Speaking of dynamite, nice to see it charted since it was released in late august i hope bts release another english single this year :peperich:

• How come they name it as "global" digital singles chart if the single only sold in one country?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So 50 million sales is around 1.48m units. That means one chinese sale is 29.6 paid stream units. By billboard US rules one global sale is 125 paid stream units. So 1 chinese sale is around 1/4 of a global sale unit.

Or if we go by Billboard Global 200 rules, global sale is 200 paid stream units, one chinese sale is 14% of a global sale unit.

This list counst only streams and downloads right? Why are physical singles sales not included? If it's included why SixTONES vs Snow Man - Imitation Rain / D.D. not on this list? Their sales in 2020 were 1,760,904:whatb:

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• chinese sales do count but because of how cheap and unregulated they are it seems the IFPI decided to finally start weighting them(I don't think that was the case in previous years)

• This list counst only streams and downloads right? Why are physical singles sales not included? If it's included why SixTONES vs Snow Man - Imitation Rain / D.D. not on this list? Their sales in 2020 were 1,760,904:whatb:

Because of lack of streams probably. Just 1.76m sales wouldnt put it on the list. Dynamite probably sold around as much, but it also has a huge amount of streams. And it made it to #10, anything less wouldnt make it. 1.76m sales is only 220m paid stream units with 125 ratio.

• Because of lack of streams probably. Just 1.76m sales wouldnt put it on the list. Dynamite probably sold around as much, but it also has a huge amount of streams. And it made it to #10, anything less wouldnt make it. 1.76m sales is only 220m paid stream units with 125 ratio.

Hmm that' s make sense. Thanks!

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• china sales are counted in ifpi. now kpoppies can't use the excuse that china sales are not counted anymore.

To no one's surprise tbh. Their figures are there for all to see, its not even private. Any organisation can simply just look up figures from their websites

And IFPI also shows that Chinese sales can carry groups if the group sells enough there. Blackpink's album made it to 5th with literally half physicals half digital downloads.

• To no one's surprise tbh. Their figures are there for all to see, its not even private. Any organisation can simply just look up figures from their websites

And IFPI also shows that Chinese sales can carry groups if the group sells enough there. Blackpink's album made it to 5th with literally half physicals half digital downloads.

The ALBUM sold 1.25M physicals last year & that 250K is from their digitals sold on iTunes & their shops , YG didn't even submit their Chinese digitals

LMAOOOO wtf are u talking about

• What? The sales for The Album on Goan is like 1.3m.

Yea but did they submit Gaon figures? Those are shipments nt actual album sales.

I heard companies mostly submitted hanteo numbers like BTS last year as those are the confirmed actual sales.

Which puts The Album sales at ard 750k, and the main reason why NCT wasn't inside the top 10.

• Yea but did they submit Gaon figures? Those are shipments nt actual album sales.

I heard companies mostly submitted hanteo numbers like BTS last year as those are the confirmed actual sales.

Which puts The Album sales at ard 750k, and the main reason why NCT wasn't inside the top 10.

Omg.

So you want to say that BP didn't really sell 1 mil with the Album.

Am not going to even bother again

• Omg.

So you want to say that BP didn't really sell 1 mil with the Album.

Am not going to even bother again

No smh wtf is that logic

The actual number of albums sold is between hanteo and Gaon figures, and Gaon is the more acceptable and accurate one, everybody knows this. But since its counts total shipments IFPI might not allow it as the data sent to them

Regardless, it also means most of the Kpop companies sent their hanteo figures, which lowers their actual sales, which is obvious the way NCT had more than 1M on Gaon but didn't make it to top 10, and SVT as well(But that one is prob cos of Pledis). This was also what Bighit did last year. The Album might have more than folklore if it was Gaon figures sent instead and it means that its sales should be more than 1.5m

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!