Hopes for “Kyujin & Friends” (aka NMIXX) in the Future?

• Nmixx’s debut song O.O being critically panned and now their first comeback, Dice, not fairing well either among the general public, JYP will have another 5-6 months of planning their next comeback which would be around Feb-Mar 2023.

Should they try to change up their sound? Or continue sticking to this “mix pop” genre?

What would you hope to see Kyujin and Friends do when they return again in 2023?

• X-Gal

Changed the title of the thread from “Hopes for “Kyujin & Friends” (aka Nmixx) in the Future?” to “Hopes for “Kyujin & Friends” (aka NMIXX) in the Future?”.
  • honestly i kinda like dice... i just dislike the big wave section

also jiwoo and jinni has veeeeery miniscule screentime / lines like i cant differentiate between the 2

but honestly although jyp is focusing on kyujin by tuning down haewon / lily, its also nice to see that sullyoon and especially BAE getting more spotlight to prove their talent. people often joke about BAE being there for only her tallness but she proved that she can absolutely hold her own note. she's kinda rising up my bias list lol.

im pretty sure they'll focus on other underappreciated member on the next comeback, so dont worry.

also they should probably polish their current mixxpop sound because it does not give the slay as i got a boy did. i hope they comeback with a mini album that has normal sounding bsides.

• What’s the point of having 7 members when your company will only promote 1, maybe 2 of them while the others are just mostly background dancers/singers?

JYP seems to be getting ready for Kyujin’s solo career 😆

• Should they try to change up their sound? Or continue sticking to this “mix pop” genre?

I think their team should refocus the "main idea" of NMixx to the "mix" of their vocal ability and harmonies. I think drawing on that naming idea, probably fron Little Mix, wasn't a strong enough idea to follow in the first place. Other agencies mix genres way better, so that's not worth emphasizing.

JYPE isn't known for their lady singers' singing ability. This is an area of opportunity worth improving. Having a group of 7 members who can dance AND sing better than most id0l groups still isn't that common.

Other than that, adopt the "Twice-regional-sound strategy". No more sandwiching a western leaning track in between a basic K-Pop track lacking higher levels of quality. Curate "western leaning", "K-Pop cute-fare", and fandom-centric songs and sprinkle those on the album..don't mix them in studio songs. Leave that for live performances only.

• I think their team should refocus the "main idea" of NMixx to the "mix" of their vocal ability and harmonies. I think drawing on that naming idea, probably fron Little Mix, wasn't a strong enough idea to follow in the first place. Other agencies mix genres way better, so that's not worth emphasizing.

JYPE isn't known for their lady singers' singing ability. This is an area of opportunity worth improving. Having a group of 7 members who can dance AND sing better than most id0l groups still isn't that common.

completely agree.

JYP has really good young vocalists in that group, Lily and Haewon voice stand out, but their mix pop hardly ever showcases it.

They’re more concerned on the noise their song makes.

• Despite their music not going over well with the gen public, they still happen to sell a lot of albums though...

NO, i think that is not good enough. For example, if a modest team Like Malmo only reach the group stage in the Champions League we can say is a big win for them. But If the PSG only reach the group stage then is a failure for sure.
    For a group from the big 4 those numbers are really bad. People needs to be fire.

• NO, i think that is not good enough. For example, if a modest team Like Malmo only reach the group stage in the Champions League we can say is a big win for them. But If the PSG only reach the group stage then is a failure for sure.
    For a group from the big 4 those numbers are really bad. People needs to be fire.

I wasn’t defending their division, they obviously made so many bad choices. Just saying they still have a big fan base despite all the errors.

When you say poor metrics, do you mean how it’s charting?

• but honestly although jyp is focusing on kyujin by tuning down haewon / lily, its also nice to see that sullyoon and especially BAE getting more spotlight to prove their talent. people often joke about BAE being there for only her tallness but she proved that she can absolutely hold her own note. she's kinda rising up my bias list lol.

how is Bae getting more spotlight in Dice? She barely has any long line and most of them are shouting /talking short lines. In O.O at least she showcased her vocal ability with better vocal lines. In Dice, none of the vocalist really get much spotlight except Sullyoon

• I barely saw Bae and didn't she got like 5s proper lines and some shooting here and there

• Honestly, when I first heard the teasers for DICE and heard that brass section, I thought "Yes, they finally got it! NMIXX is perfectly-suited to be JYPE's answer to MAMAMOO." Jazz-Swing-Big Band initial sound, with plenty of rich vocal harmonies, would capitalise on both the members' limitless energy (huge bunch of extroverts in that group) and make use of their vocal talents well, as showcased from their JYP cover medley and harmonic cover of BLACKPINK's Kill this Love.

If they had done something like MAMAMOO's early performances on Immortal Songs 2, like Flying into the Night Sky, that would have been perfect:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The girls obviously CAN do this style of musical theatre sound, given their cover of Seventeen's Very Nice:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jazz as a genre lends itself very easily to medley-type songs, so they won't even have to give up the MIXXpop concept. Just mixx up jazz with one of the other genres that go well with it. R&B, funk, soul,... heck, throw in reggae if you want. Since NMIXX also seems to be making efforts to promote to the Latin market, put in some Latin and Bossanova rhythms. MAMAMOO demonstrated this perfectly in their rookie year on Immortal Songs - NMIXX could have done it for their generation.

EDIT: The trouble is, when selecting songs, the A&R team went with beat-centric songs, rather than focusing on the groove and harmonies. You've got great vocalists, why would you waste them on doing stuff with producer-made rhythms instead of showcasing their own melodies or harmonies? Classic case of reading the market, but not understanding the materials you're working with. A good craftsman must not only know what would sell, but also what the strengths and weaknesses are of material they are handling (in this case, the artists they are producing). Focus on what music best suits the artist, not what best suits the market. Let the characteristics of your artists define their sound, even if its' not the most popular niche in the market at the moment.

• Good ideas here

• If they want their mix-pop concept how about:

1st part of the song focus on dance the 2nd part focus on vocals before finishing up with dance again. That way they make use of the other members with stronger vocal talents and not just waste it on this weird dance showcase in their MV.

Although JYP will just make Kyujin do all 3 parts anyway 😝

• Focus on what music best suits the artist, not what best suits the market. Let the characteristics of your artists define their sound, even if its' not the most popular niche in the market at the moment.

totally agree.

Seems like JYP is doing the opposite, make the music first before the artist.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!