Weverse: Twice Successful US Tour asks us to look at whose tastes, exactly, so-called "American tastes" are meant to reflect.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank You Weverse for the mention and anyone in the industry please think carefully, badabim badaboom music is not the only way going forward

:pepe-pray::pepe-pray::pepe-pray:

OnceTaglist

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Twice global success in my opinion is maybe the second most surprising succe3ss story behind BTS. A girl group with their concept has never gotten as big in the west before. They still have work to do and JYPE has fucked up many times but I think they can still grow.

• I was guessing and expecting a concept like ICTSM or Cry For Me for their English Debut and I was surprised they went back to their roots. But when I heard The Feels, YES YES YES. It sounded like a K-Pop song with English lyrics, not like a Westernized sound. TWICE was successful with an actual K-Pop sound bringing freshly made into the West and got great response, that's why I was proud and happy!

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• Twice global success in my opinion is maybe the second most surprising succe3ss story behind BTS. A girl group with their concept has never gotten as big in the west before. They still have work to do and JYPE has fucked up many times but I think they can still grow.

Twice is succeeding in SPITE of JYPE.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• I don't know where this notion of only girl crush/ "I'm a bad bitch" concept works in the US.

I still hold that Twice is very marketable in the US but JYPE keeps going about it the wrong way.

In fact, at one point, I thought that Twice was the MOST marketable group in K Pop.....

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• I don't know where this notion of only girl crush/ "I'm a bad bitch" concept works in the US.

I still hold that Twice is very marketable in the US but JYPE keeps going about it the wrong way.

In fact, at one point, I thought that Twice was the MOST marketable group in K Pop.....

2-3 years ago, everyone said cute concept would never work in the west. Nobody will like a group where nobody speaks English.

And I'm not talking about one to two people saying it. I'm taking about people saying "Twice wouldn't do well in the west because of their concept" being a very common phrase used by many.

They say they need to speak English

Twice won't improve in popularity that much in the west unless at least one member becomes fluent in English
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to be racist or anything (I'm Korean myself) or implying that it's a MUST for Twice to become fluent in English because...
    www.reddit.com

They should do girl crush

TWICE should drop members to change their concept
    For their older girly/cute concepts, 9 girls makes sense. Their majority male straight fanbase chooses their "dream girl" and invests massive...
    www.reddit.com

Even Korean article saying same thing.

TWICE goes to the US??? No. It's a BAD idea. Don't do that, JYP. Just don't.
    According to a [일간 스포츠 (Daily Sports) news article](https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/241/0003006483) on Feb 25th, TWICE plans to get...
    www.reddit.com

These are just few random stuff found in 2 minutes of searching. It's all over the place.

But look at Twice now, one of the best US sales of any group and global Spotify. I don't even remember the last time someone here said their concept wont work.

• I mean, High School Musical entranced a whole generation of teenyboppers (and even twentysomethings). And before that there was S Club 7. The market for cute, youthful, wholesome fun music isn't as small as people seem to think it is. Given how much of a role visual media and music videos play in the K-pop experience, it's often better to think of them as musicals, rather than just pure music. Which means you're tapping into the Glee and Hannah Montana and High School Musical audience (and Disney in general). That's a huge market - just ask Bruno (we don't talk about him) and Let it Go.

• I always love reading these old posts of experts listing all the reasons why TWICE would fail in the West. Very gratifying.

• I mean, High School Musical entranced a whole generation of teenyboppers (and even twentysomethings). And before that there was S Club 7. The market for cute, youthful, wholesome fun music isn't as small as people seem to think it is. Given how much of a role visual media and music videos play in the K-pop experience, it's often better to think of them as musicals, rather than just pure music. Which means you're tapping into the Glee and Hannah Montana and High School Musical audience (and Disney in general). That's a huge market - just ask Bruno (we don't talk about him) and Let it Go.

Those are very old names

• Even more so, go take a look at some of the fan videos from their US Tours. Yeah, the fans love the girl crush/ mature stuff, but when Twice hits them with a cute concept song like TT or Yes or Yes, they blow the roof off the arena.

This guy gets it. Widespread marketability that other K Pop groups simply don't have.

• Too many members, concept change, english speakers, there were a lot of concerns in the past...

• I always love reading these old posts of experts listing all the reasons why TWICE would fail in the West. Very gratifying.

Too many members, concept change, english speakers, there were a lot of concerns in the past...

Pretty much it translate to....."be like Blackpink" or you wont make it.

I'm a firm believer that any concept works as long as you're good at it. Twice is master of the happy concept and they do it well.

Bad example but my mind don't work well this early. I used to hate drinking coffee black...I need to load it with sugar and creamer so mask the terrible quality of the coffee that I've had but that's because I've only ever drank bad coffee. My friend me coffee with the finest coffee beans and brewed it the proper way and ever since then, I only like my coffee black.

Twice is that.

• Tbh touring & album sales have nothing to do with the GP,u just need a dedicated & growing fanbase to achieve success in those areas

Twice music is still not being consumed in the US if we look at local charts or radio so clearly the music is not up to the GP taste

• I do think that Twice needed to update their sound if they wanted to gain traction in the West. It's true that the Western audience is rather averse to the cute concept. Twice only finally got paid attention to after they matured/retrofied their sound. The needed that entry point and the stuff post Fancy was the gateway.

However what we can appreciate, and what a lot of experts got wrong was that Twice's personality/brand wouldn't succeed, when in actuality their wholesome optimistic demeanor is what sets them apart from the rest. Their ability to speak English or lack of wasn't a detriment. They didn't need to become edgy or badass, they just needed their sound to mature, be themselves and remain committed to their choreo.

• Tbh touring & album sales have nothing to do with the GP,u just need a dedicated & growing fanbase to achieve success in those areas

Twice music is still not being consumed in the US if we look at local charts or radio so clearly the music is not up to the GP taste

Depends on how you look at it.

The dedicated fanbase is a part of the general public. All the US album buyers and tour attendees are American. All American fans before they became Onces were part of the general public.

The article is implying that at minimum, there were at least 100k fans for the tour or you can see it as 100,000k/the general public which is good for a kpop girl group.

The article also isn't implying that Twice is doing the best in the US, simply Twice's concept which was once thought by everyone to be a huge advantage or even impossibility in the US is doing pretty despite all the factors they have against them.

They may not have the same numbers as Blackpink, but they have a sizeable monthly listening, 2nd amongst kpop girl groups, 3rd amongst all kpop. Their own handful of Billboard and Spotify achievements. Again, they're not claiming Twice is the best in the US market, simply they are doing well enough.

If their concept did not work at all, then they wouldn't have any achievements and negligible listeners but this isn't the case so what does that say about their concept then. Success is relative, to me I look at what they achieved and they are holding their own.

I think your standards are very high Hardy, even for Blackpink your expectations are higher than any blink on here. I look at what Twice has achieved so far and I would call it successful despite whatever disadvantage their concept brings.

Mix-Collage-02-Feb-2024-08-56-PM-7523.jpg

Edited once, last by fdblink ().

• I do think that Twice needed to update their sound if they wanted to gain traction in the West. It's true that the Western audience is rather averse to the cute concept. Twice only finally got paid attention to after they matured/retrofied their sound. The needed that entry point and the stuff post Fancy was the gateway.

However what we can appreciate, and what a lot of experts got wrong was that Twice's personality/brand wouldn't succeed, when in actuality their wholesome optimistic demeanor is what sets them apart from the rest. Their ability to speak English or lack of wasn't a detriment. They didn't need to become edgy or badass, they just needed their sound to mature, be themselves and remain committed to their choreo.

I disagree, I think we have no idea what the west likes. If Twice try to chase the same concept everyone else does, they'll be fighting for same audience and at that point, it would be a disadvantage for Twice. I'd argue Twice gained traction after The Feels which is a very cute concept.

Twice has a strong untapped market in the US. Take for example, Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me May did quite well and isn't supposed to be liked according to whatever common belief is about western taste. There is definitely fans out there who like this concept. You just have to put it on a plate and serve it to them which is what Twice is doing. Twice with better US promo can do miracles for the group.

• You're right

Regarding the last statement,my expectations are only super high cause I know what BP is capable of

Their music & the group itself has so much global appeal,it's insane

YG is squandering it a cause BP reaching some untouchable status is not their priority at all,it's milking them for as much $$$ as possible without investing in their career growth

• Twice reminds me off BTS in a way.

No one expected them to go big in places they weren’t meant to. At least compared to twice BTS has RM to help with the language barrier but most members don’t speak it.

Twice doesn’t get much respect from JYP after I saw how he slighted twice while’s boasting about his bb achievement. But twice is killing it as a senior group. Even though their popularity in Korea has stunted, twice is finally breaking the bottleneck in their international popularity and I can feel they are about to embark on another era soon.

• I disagree, I think we have no idea what the west likes. If Twice try to chase the same concept everyone else does, they'll be fighting for same audience and at that point, it would be a disadvantage for Twice. I'd argue Twice gained traction after The Feels which is a very cute concept.

This is a fair point. Though is The Feels a cute concept? You mentioned Carly Rae Jepsen which is apt, but she, like The Feels is more disco-inspired pop, not "cutesy" like Twice's earlier work. I've even seen some describe The Feels sounding a bit like a Bruno Mars style song, so I thought it was more disco/retro R&b pop moreso than their cute bubblegum stuff from their early days.

Regardless I think you and I both agree Twice never needed to do a complete overhaul of their brand like many "experts" suggested. Twice primarily stuck to their guns and the rest worked itself out.

• This is a fair point. Though is The Feels a cute concept? You mentioned Carly Rae Jepsen which is apt, but she, like The Feels is more disco-inspired pop, not "cutesy" like Twice's earlier work. I've even seen some describe The Feels sounding a bit like a Bruno Mars style song, so I thought it was more disco/retro R&b pop moreso than their cute bubblegum stuff from their early days.

Regardless I think you and I both agree Twice never needed to do a complete overhaul of their brand like many "experts" suggested. Twice primarily stuck to their guns and the rest worked itself out.

Agree.

Off topic but I noticed you only have 1 piece of the badge set. Did you not turn on the others or you're missing the pieces?

• I disagree, I think we have no idea what the west likes. If Twice try to chase the same concept everyone else does, they'll be fighting for same audience and at that point, it would be a disadvantage for Twice. I'd argue Twice gained traction after The Feels which is a very cute concept.

Twice has a strong untapped market in the US. Take for example, Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me May did quite well and isn't supposed to be liked according to whatever common belief is about western taste. There is definitely fans out there who like this concept. You just have to put it on a plate and serve it to them which is what Twice is doing. Twice with better US promo can do miracles for the group.

But Carly is like a decade ago, there is a strong untapped market in US at the moment I agree.

:yesr::yesr::yesr:

• Since somebody mention Carly Rae Jepsen. She just release this amazing song days ago

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You could break that down for almost any music act. And the general public is the general public. I don't know where this fascination with the GP comes from.

If you can build enough momentum to have a successful world tour and steady album sales, mission accomplished.

Is the goal to grow your audience? Yes but 9 times out of 10, it's a slow, steady growth. Very, very few acts in music experience a constant super boost in numbers.

• Blackpink's music and appeal has a ceiling. In fact, YG's music in general has a ceiling. They rarely switch it up. Big Bang and Psy peaked a while ago. Blackpink hasn't hit their peak yet but there's only so far you can go with their concept.

They need to switch it up if they want to go even further. BTS is a great example of having your hands in different cookie jars.

I thought Lovesick Girls was something very different for Blackpink, and YG in general. While their new album didn't build on this, outside of Pink Venom, it seems Blackpink is slowly moving into a different direction musically.

Might have something to do with Interscope being heavily involved, although Jimmy Iovine is notorious for "playing it safe." That's if Born Pink even happened to land on his desk..... which I believe is Blackpink's next step.

• I'd argue that Twice's concept gives them the advantage but JYPE doesn't really know how to expand on it.

For years, people have said that Nintendo couldn't compete with the more mature Playstation and Xbox, and yet, all these years later, look where Nintendo is at?

Twice could also learn a thing or two from The Beatles, in terms of songwriting.

• It's quite early to think about what's next for BP musically lol

If they release new music in 2023 it'll be a deluxe of the Ryan tedder tracks we never got

• I'd argue that Twice's concept gives them the advantage but JYPE doesn't really know how to expand on it.

For years, people have said that Nintendo couldn't compete with the more mature Playstation and Xbox, and yet, all these years later, look where Nintendo is at?

Twice could also learn a thing or two from The Beatles, in terms of songwriting.

Agree, JYPE really don't know how to market/promo properly.

The difference between YG and JYPE is YG is much better at getting the girls out there than JYPE is.

In order for someone to decide if they even like a group or not, they have to at least know the group to check them out. Most of US have no idea who Twice is. You cant even ask the question "Does the GP like Twice's concept?" if the GP don't even know the concept. There's a difference between hearing Twice song and deciding it's not for them vs never even heard of them.

For example, for Talk That Talk, they placed a few QR codes in NY. Do you know how dated QR codes are? They're like 10 years ago and a failed concept for the most part. The only real usage I've seen QR codes used are for restaurants and product information. Nobody is stopping on the streets of NY to scan a random QR code plastered to a cheap construction containment wall. You have more people wondering how to scan a QR code than actually scanning them.

• It's quite early to think about what's next for BP musically lol

If they release new music in 2023 it'll be a deluxe of the Ryan tedder tracks we never got

Is it too early? I mean, Interscope was said to have been heavily involved with this album. After listening to it, I could certainly hear it.

You know who else is on Interscope that would perfect for Blackpink's next step, musically?

Dr. Dre but that's a whole OTHER thread......

• Is it too early? I mean, Interscope was said to have been heavily involved with this album. After listening to it, I could certainly hear it.

You know who else is on Interscope that would perfect for Blackpink's next step, musically?

Dr. Dre but that's a whole OTHER thread......

Dr.dre is back in the studio working on new music of his own lol also he would never 💀

Teddy has the pinks in a chokehold, everything goes through him at the end

• Twice reminds me off BTS in a way.

No one expected them to go big in places they weren’t meant to. At least compared to twice BTS has RM to help with the language barrier but most members don’t speak it.

Twice doesn’t get much respect from JYP after I saw how he slighted twice while’s boasting about his bb achievement. But twice is killing it as a senior group. Even though their popularity in Korea has stunted, twice is finally breaking the bottleneck in their international popularity and I can feel they are about to embark on another era soon.

I think Twice is about to go on another 5 year run. I predict that if not this next tour, the following tour will be a worldwide STADIUM tour.

• Dr.dre is back in the studio working on new music of his own lol also he would never 💀

Teddy has the pinks in a chokehold, everything goes through him at the end

My guy, you're going to make me derail this thread LOL jk. Dr. Dre works with A LOT of artists but dude is a perfectionist so there are CATALOGUES of songs and albums that we'll never hear. Did you know that Dre recorded over 50 songs with Lil Wayne and Drake?

Yeah and we'll never hear them. Also, Dr Dre has been dying to move into dance music for a long time but hasn't found the right artists to facilitate the music. Dre has also longed to work with a female artists or artist but outside of Mary J. Blige, it hasn't really worked out.

Dre has also wanted to expand into different markets but again, has a difficult time finding the right artists. Now, which group out there is in a different market, is female and makes... somewhat dance music?

Even if Dr. Dre weren't to "produce" a Blackpink album, just by him mixing, mastering or helping craft said album would be huge. In fact, if Dr Dre were to produce a Blackpink album, I'd say it would be the Get Rich Or Die Tryin' of K Pop albums..... which by the way, Dre hardly produced any songs on.

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!