What makes a group able to chart their album?

• Fan base mostly… like some fandoms are large and have huge dedicated teams to help with streaming to improve charting while some have smaller teams.

If you don’t have that large recognition to get people checking out your music or that buzzy viral moment to drive in listeners, you are pretty much solely dependent on fan base so if they aren’t streaming “properly” is ends up hurting you in the overall picture.

• Not only Spotify, but also Melon. All tracks in the top 100 daily.

• The people here don’t seem to get it so I’ll explain.

A few factors; overall it’s not much to do with fandom and more to do with general public and event based comebacks. What does this mean?

One way is for your fame to expand to the general pop enough that they will listen to your entire album. I’m Youngwoo does this frequently because he has a large fan base especially amount older people here. Korea is an old ass country so he benefits.

The other way is to make your comeback an event. YG groups do this well and particularly BIg Bang and Blackpink l. Their comebacks are events, they have few comebacks overall and when they do they have prereleases and other promotional songs that keep you hyped for a bit before the actual comeback itself.

If you can get a little bit of both those things, gen pop love and event comeback, you can get some if not all your songs charting. This isn’t easy howeve, I’m tact it is very difficult

• BP’s popularity goes beyond kpop, they have a large non k-pop fans listeners who usually listen albums from the biggest artists. That’s why. Kpop is limited in term of audience, beside BTS and BP. The most popular groups have similar monthly listeners. For example the gap between NJ and IVE is like 1.5M, while between BTS and BP it’s over 14M.

• To chart all songs from an album can't base solely on fandom power. You also need the public interest and of course the good songs to do so. That's the case for BB, BTS, BP and IU (just name a few). And before somebody comes at me saying X songs are suck, just remember music is preferential.

• Well bp doesn't have a big fandom in Korea but all their songs charted on melon they have gp with their side but still it is very interesting how they able to do that even with their long hituas

• BP’s popularity goes beyond kpop, they have a large non k-pop fans listeners who usually listen albums from the biggest artists. That’s why. Kpop is limited in term of audience, beside BTS and BP. The most popular groups have similar monthly listeners. For example the gap between NJ and IVE is like 1.5M, while between BTS and BP it’s over 14M.

Not only Spotify, but Melon too.

• Besides GP, you really need a big fandom to push all songs charting on music charts. BTS charted all 7 of their songs on the Billboard Hot100 with BE so you know it must be a huge fandom or the American public stream BTS album too lol. For Korea I think BTS has both fandom and gp and can chart all songs easily.

So for me, it’s definitely an advantage to have gp on your side, but to have all of your songs charting, there must be a huge fandom too.

• On Melon I'd say you'd mostly need casuals on your side. BP, BTS and IU are the biggest acts in Korea right now in terms of consistency and listeners, people will check out whatever they release, so naturally they'll end up listening to bsides too. You could say something similar happened when aespa were able to chart Savage bsides on Melon, or when IVE was able to chart My Satisfaction, everyone was looking forward to them cause they came off a big hit

• it has nothing to do with fandom mostly, because some don't even chart their titles not to mention bsiides. So lots of casuals to like your discography and fame. Yes fandom also stream but usually depends on the reaction from gp

• I mean txt and skz could chart all their bsides on their latest album on Spotify global. I know most of them didn't really serve longevity maybe but they could. I'd say twice is bigger than both but couldn't ever chart one bside on Spotify global. So really what is really the difference over here in this case? Twice does not have a smaller fandom or popularity.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• I don't know much about it. It's just my observation even at their peak in 2020 izone has bigger fandom than bp and close to twice maybe I am wrong but it's just my observation

Izone had the biggest gg fandom in sk at that time u r right. Their bsides used literally serve boygroup zombie charting. Obviously before the charts underwent reforms.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!