Can you separate the artist from the art?

• When a celebrated artist does something or is accused of doing something terrible, do you still consume their art? 19

1. Yes (4) 21%
    2. No (5) 26%
    3. Depends (Elaborate) (10) 53%

Are you the kind of person who even if you acknowledge that an artist did something bad or you at least think there is a good chance they did...do you still consume their art? Which is kind of de facto...supporting them?

Or do you feel like whatever the artist produces, it really does not have to do with anything for who they are as a person?

Honestly, I am a bit of a hypocrite in this situation. Like, my official stance is that if an artist does something bad, I do not want to support them in anyway? Because my supporting them, it's like telling the industry that whatever the person does, they will be profitable. So, it is okay to promote people who do bad things and elevate them to stations and places of privilege to continue to do and get away with doing bad things.

Like, I don't watch Jeepers Creepers anymore because of the director being exposed, also do not watch the old X-men films because of this, but it took me a long time to stop listening to Chris Brown despite everything. Also, I still sing along to Michael Jackson even though I don't usually actively listen to him. He was never proven to be guilty despite the whole trial and allegations, but a part of me still think he was. Also, there have been some unsavory allegations against Panic at the Disco's front man Brendon Urie, but I still listen to them.

So, I am definitely not perfect with my application of these beliefs, and I could do better. But yeah, I just wanted to know what the KPOPPIES think of this since we have had an increase in KPOP stars doing some really heinous things. I'm not talking about school bullying things either, which the actor Ji Soo's case was on ANOTHER level, so he can be included. But yeah, this is a debate I have seen a lot of people have outside of the KPOP community.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• Depends on the severity of the artists issues. Things like violence, rape, paedo etc it's very hard to listen or watch their work without thinking what kind of scumbags they are. That shit wouldn't be acceptable under normal circumstances so why should certain people get a magic pass because they're rich and famous?

Other "lesser" issues I can look past to an extent and enjoy the art for what it is rather than the person's background.

• yes but to me its different from kpop vs western artist. There are many toxic western artist i listen to their music but fully understand they are a bad person. But the difference is i dont stan these western artist or support them like kpop groups i like. i would probably never buy a physical album of a western artist, attend a fan sign/meet and greet, or watch any type of live stream from them like i would for a kpop group i enjoy.

• I mean the whole issue with his Filthy Frank persona is that he made racially insensitive jokes aimed at all races and used slurs regularly. As a tween I used to watch his videos and I understand that he didn't necessarily hate or wish harm on these people but his humor was naturally aimed at a specific group of people that are unsavory to say the least. But I like Joji, the artist. A lot of the Filthy Frank fans tore down Joji when he would upload normal videos

Well that clarifies. I knew Joji as an artist before I knew him as the comedian, so I always wondered since I didn't watch his content.

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• I usually do that by ignorance. I barely read any celeb news, so there's nothing to separate. But I like Tears in Heaven and after I found out about Eric Clapton's racist, xenophobic and antivax rants I stopped listening to it on Spotify. I can listen to it illegally on YouTube and sing along, but I refuse to give him any money.

• Depends on the severity of the artists issues. Things like violence, rape, paedo etc it's very hard to listen or watch their work without thinking what kind of scumbags they are. That shit wouldn't be acceptable under normal circumstances so why should certain people get a magic pass because they're rich and famous?

Other "lesser" issues I can look past to an extent and enjoy the art for what it is rather than the person's background.

I can separate art from the artist up until crimes such as rape, murder, etc. The best example would be Kris Wu. Other examples would be like Chris Brown (I never listened to him in the first place, though).

Pretty much what these two people said. Something like what they listed, and I'd drop them forever like a hot cake. If it's a more minor issue though, I'll take it on a case-by-case basis, but most likely end up not losing any sleep over it. It also depends on circumstances too though (for minor things, not the big ones obviously): how long ago was it? Did they mean to cause harm, or was it a lack of knowledge or misunderstanding? Have they repeated it once they were called out for it? Did they apologize? How well? Stuff like that.

• Sometimes….but it’s hard for me especially if I grew up on them. Like Melanie Martinez for example. She was my idol until the age of like, 12 when she got exposed for doing a horrible thing to her friend. Shit tore me up inside. When she came out with k-12 I was wary of stanning her again because like, it’s not like the allegations just disappeared, you know? I still have a hard time deciding on whether to Stan her or not, but her music will always deliver for me.

₊˚ʚ 𓆩♡𓆪𝓘 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓵 𝓬𝓻𝔂, 𝓫𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓴 𝓱𝓲𝓶 𝓭𝓸𝔀𝓷 𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓶𝔂 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼𓆩♡𓆪₊˚ʚ

fa6dce8704ae496963be03dfbd728787790c1410.gifv189dcb1109db946ed324799b0f2ffdcc7ea478b1.gifv52fccf32632f5775b5aaf5c3f57a474a7ccf6ef9.gifv

• Sometimes….but it’s hard for me especially if I grew up on them. Like Melanie Martinez for example. She was my idol until the age of like, 12 when she got exposed for doing a horrible thing to her friend. Shit tore me up inside. When she came out with k-12 I was wary of stanning her again because like, it’s not like the allegations just disappeared, you know? I still have a hard time deciding on whether to Stan her or not, but her music will always deliver for me.

I remember that. Did Melanie ever release a statement or say anything?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!