I think the industry's obsession with NFTs is going to be bad for idols in the long run.

• This is not a post about the environmental effects of NFTs or other Cryptocurrencies, there's a million articles already by far more analytical people than myself on that topic.

Instead, this is a thread to talk about the potential massive fall out from several companies venture into NFTs and the overall Metaverse cryptocurrency market.

Right now, multiple major SK entertainment companies are in the process of launching their own NFT platforms, partnering with NFT platforms or minting their own NFTs. From the big names we've got

Hybe

SM

YG

JYP

Cube

FNC

there are more, but I want to highlight that a lot of the major companies are doing work related to NFTs (SM is probably the most vocal of the groups, but all of them seem to be at varying levels of very into it.)

The reason I am making this post is that recently (as within the last month) two major NFT platforms in South Korea have come out as major ponzi schemes that have cost investors and purchasers millions. On top of this, through out 2021 and 2022 there's been several major pump and dump schemes across various crypto currencies costing buyers and platform holders in the hundreds of millions and upward of billions of dollars.

Now, why does this matter? Cause minting and providing NFTs costs money, it costs a lot of money and the chance of that money not be recouped is a lot higher than I think a lot of these entertainment companies are considering. Which in turn relates over to their major sources of income, their artists.

So I feel there's a very real possibility for these entertainment companies to take some really heavy hits due to crypto (Hybe has already gotten hit from their game production.) and I feel like they might try to offset that with a lot more work than in necessary for their main stable source of income (The Idols.)

• do u know their names?

Probably the most famous one is Do Kwon's Terra.

That crypto platform fell through at the beginning of May and then there was a big news story of a Man coming to Do Kwon's house and terrifying his wife because he'd lost about $2 million from investing in Terra.

Also allegations that many people have committed suicide as a result of the Terra fall through due to the collapse of its signature coin LUNA that led to about half a billion dollars vanishing

• Crypto is not very profitable anymore. There is tons of graphic card available now.

yeah but fucking miners dont wanna sell at a loss

even used cards are nowhere as cheap as they should be

only way to fix this is to make sure crypto doesnt fuck up the upcoming launches

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• they will use oppars hard earned money on that shit

fuck them srsly

why cant LSM just buy himself another street in US instead?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Isn’t that nft and crypto shit flopping everywhere these days? Why are companies so desperate to push it

Stocks are flopping just as much as crypto. Especially tech stocks. Crypto is following surprisingly well current stock market. Fed increased interest rates 0.75% last month and they are supposed to increase the same amount this month to slow the current inflation problem. Once the money is not cheap anymore, people have to sell their investments, and that caused the crash. This is a pretty normal economic cycle especially after the government printed so much money from thin air during covid lockdowns.

• I wouldn't be surprised if one of these companies end up involved in a pump and dump scheme of an obscure cryptocurrency used to buy their tokens.

I've checked the NFTs of Brave Girls, T-ARA and Sunmi, and only Sunmi has well-implemented tokens whose holders and transactions you can see. Brave Girls you can see the holders in the Upbit NFT platform, but the tokens aren't being transferred in the blockchain. T-ARA you can't see the holders and the transactions are obscured in the logs.

• I wouldn't be surprised if one of these companies end up involved in a pump and dump scheme of an obscure cryptocurrency used to buy their tokens.

I've checked the NFTs of Brave Girls, T-ARA and Sunmi, and only Sunmi has well-implemented tokens whose holders and transactions you can see. Brave Girls you can see the holders in the Upbit NFT platform, but the tokens aren't being transferred in the blockchain. T-ARA you can't see the holders and the transactions are obscured in the logs.

Dang all my biases are involved in this nonsense

:pepe-peaking: :pepe-clown-gear::pepe-shame:

• well a fool and their money are soon parted

and besides everyone is free to create NFTs as they so choose...it's up to the market to decide if they want to buy such - free market and all that

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!