TOP 100 KPOP songs of 2021 - 85 - 81

• :akorns::akorns: TOP 100 KPOP SONGS 2021 :akorns::akorns:

by motorp77 :akorns:

taglist (ask in the comments) :

previous episodes :

85 - 81

85. Monsta X - Gambler

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Gambler is the title track of Monsta X’s 9th Mini Album “One Of A Kind”. With this comeback, Monsta X took a more groovy and funky route with a less hard hitting sound that was a great contrast with their previous releases. The song was marked with some rock elements like the prominent electric guitar and percussions, with some heavy bass and synth that were already present in their previous tracks. The production was very impressive, the use of the guitar and bass were incredible, and the loud percussions in some transitions were very clever. The song switched flawlessly between heavy background music and quiet BGM + heavy vocals. The members pulled the concept perfectly with their standart hard hitting vocals (Kihyun) and the more raspy ones (Honey and IM), though the rap lines decided to go a little softer in the first parts to fit the song more. Overall one of the most impressive song of 2021.

What I liked :

I liked the incredible use of instruments, particularly the electric guitar that was going so hard during the first verses of IM and Kihyun. I also love the structure of the song with the very long pre-chorus in multiple parts. The percussion just after the chorus was an incredible transition. The bass was loud at the right time and was quiet the other times which added a nice line to follow throughout the song. The ending is grandiose, the vocals go so hard, especially Joohoney’s adlibs. I also particularly liked Minhyuk’s vocals, they fitted the concept perfectly.

What I would change :

I would shift a lot of the highlights on Minhyuk, as imo the song was too much centered around Joohoney. The ending part kind of felt like the Joohoney show, and it was good, but it’s clear imo that they could have gone even crazier with other members. I also think that IM could have gone even more edgy, going full on “almost drunk” mode during his verses and trying to amplify the funk/groovy sound as much as possible. The instruments also could go harder at the end, they already went very hard before so going way harder might have been better at the end. Maybe more Hyungwon too, though I don’t know where to place him. An incredible song overall, it should be used as an example for many comebacks from bg in the future.

84. WJSN - Unnatural

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Unnatural is the title track of WJSN’s 10th Mini Album “Unnatural”. They took on a more mature concept in this comeback, going for a more hard hitting sound and more dance club music. They still keep their identity, with their own style of vocals to not completely alienate their fanbase. The vocals sound a lot more raw/strained than usual, and I don’t really know where they were going with that. The highlight of the music is undeniably the pre-chorus and chorus. The song unexpectedly slows down drastically during the pre-chorus, taking a more mature/sexy vibe to prepare for a very hard hitting chorus with transcendent vocals. The ending goes full on showtime moments, with all the vocals mixed together to create one of the most epic ending of 2021.

What I liked :

I really liked the background dancefloor style music, alone it was such a cool sound for a mature concept. The vocals fitted surprisingly well with this more reserved BGM. The pre-chorus hits super hard, it really holds your breath for the chorus, and then the chorus hits so hard it stuns you. The bridge/last pre-chorus with the heavy bass is just excellent. It’s clear that the song wants to end super hard and it goes even further than anything imaginable. First Yeonjung vocals blast your ears and then all the vocals come together for the ending part to put a finale worthy of the most epic songs in kpop history.

What I would change :

I would change the vocals a little. Even though the fit was well done, I can’t stop thinking that less sharp vocals could have been even better. The Exy rap part was also a little bit too long and didn’t fit the song even though it was probably to reiterate the mature concept. I also think all the vocals were mixed to sound very similar when in reality all the girls' voices are easily recognizable and it should be viewed as a strength. I also think they could have gone even more on the dance club concept, at the beginning the song kind of lacks an identity. Overall still a very solid song, that is very epic and I love epic songs.

83. Wheein - Water Color

Water Color is the title track of Wheein’s 1st Mini Album “Redd”. Just like Monsta X, Wheein releases music with a more groovy sound, though still implementing standard kpop edm elements. The song is quite simple, straightforward structure with pleasant and consistent vocals followed by a groovy background that doesn’t try to shine alone. The chorus is a mix between Wheein’s powerful vocals and then an electro fun pop part that tries to be catchy. The slower pre-chorus and small rap parts create a nice build up for the choruses and add an easy to follow line for the entire song.

What I liked :

I liked Wheein’s comfortable vocals that fitted the song nicely. The background music was also really well made, and the overall production was very satisfying. The pre-chorus/chorus transition was also flawless which makes the music even nicer. The song has quite a good longevity, as in the first place it’s not a song to replay a lot so you can replay it from time to time for a while. A great simplistic song carried by Wheein’s vocals.

What I would change :

I would try to go harder at the end. It kind of looks like they want to go harder at the end without forgetting what was already done before and imo it limited them. I think even though the song was slower until now just for the finale they can go hard. The hook of the song is also not memorable and it might be hard to remember the track in the very long run.

82. Mirae - KILLA

KILLA is the title track of Mirae’s 1st Mini Album “KILLA”. The song is a very heavy EDM track, going hard in every way possible with its background music. The music is also very fun, with the members all coming in quick succession before going for an epic chorus with everyone chanting and dancing. The production is by far the highlight of the music, with many many different parts to the music, but all produced very well. It’s hard to describe heavy electro but it never stopped. The electric guitar in the bridge was also a welcoming addition.

What I liked :

I loved the production, it had that futuristic concept that Superhuman of NCT had. I love how the song never really backs down, whenever it is slower it’s just a small moment to prepare to go at 200m/h. The raps were really good and the vocals were going as hard as possible too which amplified the epicness of the whole song. The ending was very good, it was a nice epic finish. The bridge was the highlight with the heavy glitchy electro and bass that you most of the time hear in more hardcore electro house songs. They have a bright future with those producers.

What I would change :

I would go a little harder at the end, it kind of felt like the bridge might have gone even harder than the finale. They could also smooth out some verses to fit better the background music. I also think they could try more interesting things with the vocals and raps (more combinations ?) though they are a rookie group so I understand going for the safer routes.

81. EXO - Don’t Fight The Feeling

Don’t Fight The Feeling is the title track of EXO’s 4th Mini Album “Don’t Fight The Feeling”. With this music I will try to not be too nostalgic and biased but omg it’s so good to see some of the members especially Lay. The song was cut in the same vein as Power and Love Me Right, trying to be as fun and energetic as possible. The funky edm background music fitted the concept nicely while letting the most important jobs to the formidable vocals of the group. The song has a satisfying structure, energizing you during almost the entire song and omg ITS LAY.

What I liked :

I love EXO. When I hear DO sing I can’t not enjoy it. The song could be shit I would still enjoy. Of course the song is good overall, the bass were well used and it was a nice production from SM, not the best but not the worst. The chorus is catchy, the vocals are well used, it might not be their most memorable one but it is still good enough. The vocals delivered and it’s the most important.

What I would change :

Wtf was that rap part seriously? Totally unnecessary, almost killed the vibe of the song. It went in the opposite direction of the song. It wasn’t even that good too. SM really did dirty to Sehun and Chanyeol. And of course you can improve a bit the verses and chorus to make the song more memorable but it’s only small details.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!