Don't you think underaged idols working under kpop companies should be considered as child labour?

• According to South Korea's Labour Standards Act:

" The Labor Standards Act also contains other protective measures for working minors. Persons 15 to 18 years of age may not work more than seven hours a day or 40 hours a week. Persons under the age of 18 are prohibited from working between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. or on holidays, unless the employee consents or the employer receives approval from the MOEL. 13 Employers are also prohibited under the Labor Standards Act from employing children under 18 for any work that is deemed hazardous or dangerous to their morality or health. "

Not only are these idols overworked and work beyond 10 pm, they are even required to go under extreme diets and sexualized by their companies. Don't you think underaged idols working under kpop companies should be considered as child labour?

well BH should go to jail according to Labour Standards Act for overworking and sexualizing Jungkook as a minor.

Now that ARMY understood how cruel BigHit is, I hope they file a case against them. Other fandoms should the same to protect their idols. :cursing:

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• Maybe not? But, I do think Korea should have a law in place that protects child stars. I feel like so many young trainees (like hella young) aren't actually pursuing Kpop because it's their dream. It's probably their parent's dream more.

• Official Post

South Korean law is shit. They don't do anything and there are so many loopholes, not to mention that a rich and influential company could just pay their way out. Mnet literally sexualized Wonyoung when she was like....THIRTEEN on national television but no one moved.

I really think there should be some sort of law but it's pretty hard to pass these type of laws.

• Maybe not? But, I do think Korea should have a law in place that protects child stars. I feel like so many young trainees (like hella young) aren't actually pursuing Kpop because it's their dream. It's probably their parent's dream more.

According to that Korean Labour Act, anybody under 18 can work given the guardian's permission. It's like the child's opinions don't matter. I feel bad for the type of kids you've mentioned above. They have no say in their career decisions.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• According to that Korean Labour Act, anybody under 18 can work given the guardian's permission. It's like the child's opinions don't matter. I feel bad for the type of kids you've mentioned above. They have no say in their career decisions.

Yeah. It's really sad and then by the time they realise their actual dreams, it's already too late because they signed a contract or wasted all their youth training.

• Isn’t there already some sort of law in place where minors can’t be on live tv past a certain time?

Yes there is but nobody follows the rule. I can't say for all groups but I do remember Jungkook performing on shows past 12 am KST as a minor. I don't think it's a big deal.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• i dont really think so

its their own choice to work and most of them have parents , even tho i hate the companies , but itsn't their fault there's a contract and the idols are the ones who signs it ( well , some , their parents are actually the ones who forces them or stuff like that )

i mean , if they are treated well , i dont mind it , tho , there's some things that the companies should actually let the young idols have , like going to school and this stuff and also treat them well and protect them from the sexualizing thing ( which totally sucks )

idk about the korean law , but if there's nothing that protect this young idols , then there should be ... because maybe their parents sucks as much as their companies , so , u know

• In the US, contracts are voidable by a minor if not certified by a court. So, a minor can change his mind and quit without consequences. I don't know how it works in South Korea though.

• im sorry but this is... super extreme and weird. minors working IS considered child labor. that law was updated in sk in like 2015 or 2016, when jungkook was already 18+. most child idols DO stop promoting after 10pm per this law now, as is proven by young idols that had to leave award shows early pre-covid restrictions.

jungkook was a minor 2 years of bts' career, during 2cool 4 school, orul82, skool luv affair and dark and wild. none of these concepts were "sexual".. their concept was literally "hard" school boys until dark and wild which also wasn't an overly sexual concept. the only thing was when they lifted their shirts during wabp pt2 but they changed the choreo for that song after the what like 2/3 times they performed it during their debut? other people sexualizing him does not mean that was entirely the company'sintent.

also, idk how "overworked" bts was in 2013/14. even now. we don't know their schedules. they film a lot of things but often in the same stretch. they work like dogs on their music bc they...want to. at the end of the day they've only done 2 cbs a year since the beginning of their career and they barely ever went on variety shows. they also only do like a major tour once every 2 (?) years? besides love yourself and speak yourself. but they've expressed they love touring.

minor are definitely highly under protected in kpop. but using jungkook as some sort of example for that.... i don't agree with it.

who's your favorite artist?

• I don’t think so. Because there’s still laws in place that say minors can’t work past certain hours. So that’s why during award shows the younger members will end up leaving the award show earlier if they’re minors because of that law.

But I do think there should be stricter laws in place. Especially when it comes to dieting because their bodies are still developing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!