Serious talk, how do you feel about people who are wrongly accused?

• And no I'm not talking about bullying just because of the recent scandal.

I'm talking about more serious stuff like wrongly accused of more heinous crimes, like domestic violence or even rape. Maybe even murder. There are countless cases of innocent men who were wrongly accused of such crimes and put to many years of jail, some are lucky enough to be set free years later, some not so lucky.

What do you feel about such cases? Should the people who wrongly accuse them of those crimes be put to justice and suffer punishment as well? But if that is the case, how would it affect or deter actual victims of such cases from standing up for themselves?

Or should there be some sort of compensation? I know that nothing can compensate the emotional trauma one has to go through for being wrongly accused, but some sort of financial compensation should at least help alleviate the burden or the wrongly accused?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• icyruios

Changed the title of the thread from “Serious talk, what do you feel about people who are wrongly accused?” to “Serious talk, how do you feel about people who are wrongly accused?”.
  • 5 years seem like long time but in Poland we got guy named Tomasz Komenda he was falsely accused of murder and spend... 18 years in prison (sick!)

Just few days ago it was revealed that he will get 13 mln złoty compensation money

there is even already filmed tv series based on his story

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes, calumny (false accusation of a crime) should be punished. It is considered a crime in many jurisdictions. But the punishment is usually less than the damage inputted to the one falsely accused. In some cases, however, it isn't even the victim's fault, so it can't fall on them. The fault is in the system that allow forced confessions and weak testimonies.

In my country there has been some cases of men put in jail and being virtually lynched because of a rape accusation that was latter proved to be false (not lack of proof, but proof of innocence). Some were revenge, others were being in the wrong place at the wrong time, others were looking similar to the real assailant.

There has been cases of wrongful executions, i.e., people executed by death penalty to be later found innocent, usually by forced confession.

We also have the problem of 'trial by media' as, for example, what happened to Richard Jewell. He was portrayed as guilty by the media, and when he was declared innocent 90 days later the media went "whoops, my bad". But the damage was already done.

• I’ve been in this situation in my own life and it’s a demoralising experience. It wasn’t for a crime but I was wrongly evicted from my rental property some years back. The real estate accused me of Dana the property and illegal use which would mean drugs. I’ve never done drugs in my life. It was all lies, even the real estate admitted it. I was set up in a conspiracy.

It took me 3 years to clear my name and this person is still in real estate to this day but the real estate events got shut down. I was almost homeless. So yes, I know what it’s like to be ‘stitched up’ so I feel bad for prisoners in jail or even death row who died innocent.

• Even if that is the case, the person that would frame or do that to the innocent would face quote on quote "Karma" eventually if not in the end imo.

Hey there~

6807349f784b6d7bd92a7b58e7f1047b963fd499.gifv

• There's probably not many things worse then being accused of something you didn't do. Some people have litterally spent decades in jail even though they were innocent. Got the death sentence even.

That's why I'm puzzled by all those who think the presumption of innocence is a hindrance.

Lots of people got wrongfully sentenced on the sole basis of fishy witness accounts. But when it comes to kpop idols, instagram stories and tweets are enough to send someone in purgatory.

• imo people who accuse people of stuff like this are delusional and making people who are actually, victims seem less believable. these things are serious crimes and shouldn't be accused lightly just so you can see the person you called out be dragged. it's not fair towards the idols because its these kinds of accusations can wash their career down the drain especially when they worked so hard to build it up. i feel bad for people who had to shut up about being these things because it literally does not help them at all. i can't even imagine how hard it could be for them.

• What about pedophilia? It happened in France, at least one man killed himself because of it, no wonder.

So yeah, baseless accusations are no big deal? My ass.

Yeah this one is awful as well. I agree that people should only be judged with solid proof. Here in Brazil a woman was lynched and killed by a bunch of people because of a stupid and vague Facebook post.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I'm all about receipts in these cases. I can't believe just anyone who stands up and says a thing without having proof.

Ie. Johnny Depp's case with Amber Heard, where there's countless proof she was abusing him all the way, but it's JD who gets fired from his work and she keeps her roles :pepe-clown-gear: everyone with common sense and also real abuse victims are fighting in his side to get her down and finally admit her lies but no

If you go out of your way to spread lies about someone, then you should be punished hard, so you think twice before trying to drag someone in the mud, especially if it's a serious crime, when someone could get imprisoned for life or lose their job and all that. Whatever the wronged person thinks would be enough alongside a lawyer and/or a judge. It can be a public apology or money compensation. It's usually the second for defamation. But mostly, they should ADMIT that they're lying. If we all started to spread malicious lies because we hate or want to destroy someone, the world would probably be much worse than it is.

Another example: many people in the dark ages were calling people they hated/were jealous of witches and gave them to 'justice' to be burned. Barely any of these cases were examined and were given an argument or two (mostly stupid and unconfirmed lies) to make sure they get sentenced to death. And that's how someone was killed. Easy peasy.

No one who's done nothing should be going through that. That being said, the real victims should not be discouraged if there are liars pretending to be one of them. They should instead find the courage to accuse the liars of shaming the people who TRULY suffered. And stand by the accused if innocent.

☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️ ☠️

82c353870ef7fcc4f1a65e25a79150e5ffc6d555.gifv

• And in the age of social media, it's worse.

Just as an example, when the Boston Marathon bombing happened, a bunch of Redditors took it upon themselves to investigate and mistakenly pin it on a missing college student. This college student was missing because he killed himself and his family was harassed online relentlessly and Reddit's speculation caused the FBI to announce the real suspects before they wanted to publicly.

So this family have to suffer the loss of a loved one as well as harassment from the internet mob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!