Have You Ever Sewn Something?

• Hello! Question is obvious as always. Have you ever sewn something before? Did you make it entirely by yourself, or with other people helping you? If you got help, who was it from (a sibling, friend, parent, sewing teacher, etc...)? How much did they help?

Did you hand sew it or use a sewing machine (or both)? What did you make? How long did it take to complete? How did it turn out? Do you have any future sewing projects planned?

If you don't know how to sew, do you want to learn? If you do know how to sew, who taught you? How old were you when you learned?

I learned how to sew when I was eight, and I got a sewing kit for my birthday, including a cute sewing machine. I have done a handful of sewing projects before. They usually turn out okay, but not all that great. I once made several circle skirts all by myself. The reason why is that in one of my classes, we were talking about the fast fashion industry and all the farm it does and what we as consumers can do.

I suggested one solution was for more people to sew their own clothes. The teacher rightfully pointed out that not everyone knew how to sew and it could be hard to learn, so, with her permission, I gave a brief presentation in class a week later or so on the history of circle skirts and how to make one super easily, to point out how not all sewing projects were difficult. I even wore it to school. It was all black and very plain, but I was able to make it in four hours and it looked presentable.

I did it all with no help, and it was one of my first sewing projects I did by myself. Looking back on it (I still have it in my closet), it's not that good, but I made my point in class and convinced a lot of people, so I'm glad I had that effect. I have made some sewing projects since then. I'm actually making one right now, but I can't say much about it yet. I will show it to you guys in the future though. Have a great day/night!

• i sew all the time, i re-size my own dresses sometimes, but i don't do anything too big.

• I dont know how but my mom does!

She can modify items or sew them from scratch

I really really want to learn from her

I know hoe to do stiches good old fashion ways

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. I get that though, some people I know are much better at sewing than I am, but that's a good thing to me, because whenever I get stuck, I can ask them for help.

• I never knew this! That's awesome! I wish I could do that. I mostly take stuff apart and make something completely new out of it, as opposed to resizing things, but that must come in handy. I sometimes try to do big stuff, only to not be able to do it and fail.

its whatever, i've been watching my mom sew since i was little since it was a hobby of her's so i kinda just picked it up over time. i don't really like sewing though. ^^

• its whatever, i've been watching my mom sew since i was little since it was a hobby of her's so i kinda just picked it up over time. i don't really like sewing though. ^^

Oh, I see. I like sewing, because I like all the creative freedom I have while doing it, and it's not that hard for me once I got the hang of it, but I can understand that not everyone may like it. If you don't mind me asking, is there anything about sewing that you don't like, or do you not know why you feel that way about it?

• I did, on my grandma's machine, a part of

my carnival uniform, I should let my grandma do it, but I wanted to try. It wasn't good, but for carnival it doesnf matter.

If it's something small to fix, my mom usually sews it.

But I do know how to knit a little, my grandma thought me when I was little.

• That sounds fun! Eh, it's alright, we all start somewhere. At least you were still able to wear it.

I'm glad she's so willing to help you out, that's nice of her to do.

I don't know how to knit, but I once tried to pick up crocheting, before I gave up and decided it was too hard for me.

• my button came out last week and my mum wasn't home, so guess who decided to take matters into her own hands and tried to sew it on.....i ended up sewing on the wrong side :angryr: this is embarrassing on so many levels my mum scolded me for wasting thread :cryingr:

There is a learning curve when it comes to sewing. At least you tried and had good intentions. That being said, sewing buttons on is typically seen as simple, so now I'm scared to let you near sewing machines.

• when I was a kid in school. We had "girls" classes and "boys" classes. This was 1995 or so, so don't judge too hard.

Girl's were doing sewing and baking, boys were doing shop and wood work.

I learned sewing and baking from my mum since I would always help her.

So I went to those classes.

All the boys in our year used to make fun of me, till they found out that I was eating cakes and eclairs pretty much every week.

• Oh, I see. I like sewing, because I like all the creative freedom I have while doing it, and it's not that hard for me once I got the hang of it, but I can understand that not everyone may like it. If you don't mind me asking, is there anything about sewing that you don't like, or do you not know why you feel that way about it?

its just time consuming, and typically im not really into that. esp because i prefer hand sewing over using a machine

• It was a subject for 2 years on my old school. I learned how to make a lot different types of pillow with and without zipper, stuffed animals, placemats, bibs,... but later on I never sewd again because the small mashine my grandma found for "cheap" on a fleamarket didn't turned off as I put it in the outlet and it was like "rrrrrrrrr" without that I even pushed any buttons, the mashine was going crazy and as I tried to stop it the needle broke. My other grandma got me a heavy one from I guess the 60s that she had at her home, but as I pluged it in and sewd 1 small thing I never used the mashine again cause at my 2nd try it begun to smoke

My grandma (the 2nd named one) worked on sewing curtains professionaly in a store she owned so she had after retiring her mashines at home and cause of this I chose to learn sewing in school on the exact same mashine since my teacher had new and old mashines

cache_2452453104.jpg?t=1415144586

My grandma had the Pfaff 262 and used it since many many years. She had it like at least the 60s

The one she gave me to work with was the Pfaff 260

pfaff-02.jpg

You barly notice any difference looking at them lol, but jesus they must've been somthing special cause it's mentioned online that people payed 1.500DM for them wich is about 3.200€ with inflation nowadays so my grandma spend probably a lot of her savings on these mashines but that is not the only thing since she also owned a chaining machine that you use to get the hem (that zigzag pattern) in for example the end of the sleeves from something you sew and she told me that not too many professional tailor own since that mashine would've been much more expensive. Not too sure wich one my grandma had again but after looking at some pics she maybe used to own a chaining machine of the brand Yamato

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!