Is supersonic helicopter possible?

• The black / white color chopper is called Air wolf

Just spotted this 1980's TV series.. a Mach 1+ helicopter with 2 turbo engines added to go faster than speed of sound. They thought that up 40 years back

Do you think it possible to make a supersonic helicopter....in the future?

Space / aviation queen Lulu_Key

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I freaking loved Airwolf. Didn’t understand most of the plots since I was kid but man the whole idea of an a jet helicopter blew my mind. Plus the theme was banger :pepe-hype:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As for supersonic I don’t think rotar blades allow for super sonic travel. Lot of air resistance, counter balancing problem (the small rotor on the side would need to be much bigger too), wouldn’t work too well in higher altitudes unlike jet engines which can compress air.

• I freaking loved Airwolf. Didn’t understand most of the plots since I was kid but man the whole idea of an a jet helicopter blew my mind. Plus the theme was banger :pepe-hype:

As for supersonic I don’t think rotar blades allow for super sonic travel. Lot of air resistance, counter balancing problem (the small rotor on the side would need to be much bigger too), wouldn’t work too well in higher altitudes unlike jet engines which can compress air.

I think thats why AV8 harrier / F35 came into play at this point.

Was thinking if possible to stop rotor blade spinning at a certain speed and switch to full jet mode, like fold up the blades and placed in a trunk underneath then grow wings at that point when switch over, the 2 turbo engines in airwolf

seems to have been positioned all right..

Too much tequila shots tonight haha

• I dont think helicopters aerodynamics will support that

Unless we can make reliable dynamic structures that can change form, I wont see it

Also helicopters are designed and purposed for maneuverability not much of speed

we get an anti graviton engines, then its another story

• But if you fold away the rotors and rely on a jet engine that defeats the point of having rotors and being a helicopter. A jet is the better option of you want speed and firepower, some can even take off vertically.

The alternative is to create a new aircraft like a hybrid. Something like the Quinjet form marvel which can use helicopter rotors for fine tune movement and hovering and jets engines for speed

quinjet-mcu.jpeg

• But if you fold away the rotors and rely on a jet engine that defeats the point of having rotors and being a helicopter. A jet is the better option of you want speed and firepower, some can even take off vertically.

The alternative is to create a new aircraft like a hybrid. Something like the Quinjet form marvel which can use helicopter rotors for fine tune movement and hovering and jets engines for speed

quinjet-mcu.jpeg

Thats why im pondering whether if Airwolf can be made true.

• is graviton engine hypothetical at this point?

Yes

we are assuming since there is a graviton particle in matter there must be an anti in anti-matter too

so far in the future

When we know more physics

When we can detect antimatter and sample it

• possible? yes. should we? no. Remember when we had concord, the commercial super sonic airline? They failed because it isnt sustainable. Burns so much fuel, which is a big nono in the modern world. Also super high maintenance costs

Ults: Enhypen, Xikers | Jungwon, Yujun

Bias: Woonhak | EJ

BOYNEXTDOOR | &Team

"Stray kids does not mean strait kids"

• Short answer No. Long answer: still NOOOO. A traditional helicopter could never achieve supersonic flight the airframe and the overall design isn't capable nor suited for it. A traditional helicopter is aerodynamically a flying brick with propellers. Even the cross section of the US Comanche stealth helicopter couldn't beat the flight drag coefficient of a fucking Cessna. For a helicopter to ever achieve supersonic flight it would have to be designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, and would have to have its rotors designed as as wings that stop and fold back providing fixed flight lift, this would be the best option as it would reduce it's weight and complexity if the rotors performed a dual purpose instead of it having wings that retract or deploy and the rotors folding in this would increase weight substantially.

Any type of helicopter would need the rotors to stop mid flight and retract until its flush with the fuselage it cannot have any protruding rotor mast and the tail rotor will have to be enclosed to have a hope in hell of even reaching 600mphs let alone anything faster. Also they would need all the traditional flight surfaces on a airplane rudder, alerions, flaps etc. Cyclic pitch and collective won't do shit for you in fixed flight mode

• Airwolf is a classic, Earnest Borgnine one of my Favorite Actors.

kazuyakamenashi mentions Helicopter has the aerodynamics of a Brick. I recall a saying about Jets - put a big enough engine on it a Brick would Fly(I think a reference to the F4 Jet). XD Official saying is "With a big enough engine you can make a Barn Door Fly".

The way Airwolf turbos are placed, who knows. It already has a nice shape for a Helicopter in a aerodynamic way. Speaking of wondering, This time of Year a resident Bumble Bee is flying around in the Garden. Talk about how things can fly. XD

Interesting thing - The very loud chopping sound some helicopters have is because the Blade is turning faster than the speed of sound. Loud sound is sonic booms.

Kpop has it's own Sonic Bom.

park-bom.jpg

• This old movie scene shows a chopper turned into a jet this is exactly how one would have to be built un order to achieve supersonic flight

External Content m.youtube.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!