Yujin‘s Voice used to be so beautiful

• It’s still beautiful but it has changed a little m

Idk how to insert time spams and just listen to how deep and husky her voice used to be at 15

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Idk why her voice sounds higher now but I miss that tone of hers so much :pepe-sad:

• Her voice sounds the same to me, she's just singing over a larger range in IVE as one of their main vocalists.

Idk, I sometimes feel like her voice used to sound a little different during the very early days of IZ*ONE. Some people also say that she regressed from pd48 to IZ*ONE, which is probably due to them not avuncular a vocal trainer. I hope SSE helps her improve and return to her former state

• She's basically evened out her tone - probably did so because of the Taeyeon comparisons.

So overall her technique has gotten kinda worse but it isn't that bad because she never really supported in the first place: the difference between a smaller part in a 12 member group and a main vocal in a 6 member group is huge and I guess her vocal change was to reflect that.

So TLDR she can put more oomph into a smaller part but has to lighten up + be even for a longer duration of time in Ive. Some certain covers should bring her sound back to how she used to sing though.

• She's basically evened out her tone - probably did so because of the Taeyeon comparisons.

So overall her technique has gotten kinda worse but it isn't that bad because she never really supported in the first place: the difference between a smaller part in a 12 member group and a main vocal in a 6 member group is huge and I guess her vocal change was to reflect that.

So TLDR she can put more oomph into a smaller part but has to lighten up + be even for a longer duration of time in Ive. Some certain covers should bring her sound back to how she used to sing though.

Could you elaborate on how she’s gotten worse? I‘m not really familiar with vocal techniques but I’m very curious about what exactly happened.

• Could you elaborate on how she’s gotten worse? I‘m not really familiar with vocal techniques but I’m very curious about what exactly happened.

I wouldn't say worse is the better word - she's more..practical now?

She's certainly being advised to go lighter + more nasally because with pushing with a deeper voice, she runs a higher risk of going off-pitch or cracking during Ive songs.

She doesn't have a sense of technique yet she has to perform the dynamics required for a song (for example agility, going up-then down very fast, certain "AH' vowels, the upper melody at the end of Eleven). So she can perform those, she has to sing lighter. Her biggest plus point is that she's very stable, so SS are trying to make sure it stays that way.

Look at Love Dive (with the whispery thing) - Liz sometimes goes off pitch. That's because she's attempting to be open-er with her vowels (because she is the only member with some sort of support) but Yujin can't risk that at all as she has the louder part - it would be very noticeable if she messed up.

It would be different if any of the members had the consistency that a member like Seola of WJSN does. Her range isn't too developed, but she can maintain a stronger sense of breath support and decently do the dynamics required of Ive songs. In 4th gen, I think Sullyoon from NMIXX, or Soeun from Weeekly would be at that level.

Since Yujin doesn't have that, she unfortunately has to sacrifice something, and that becomes the...."intensity" of her voice if that makes sense. Even in her "igeomyeon chungbunhae jjotgo jjonneun ireon nori" part at the beginning of Love Dive she doesn't have the intensity she did in IZ*One.

It's not a huge deal, Ive songs don't make her strain too badly, and Yujin wasn't a trainee for very long before going on PD48 anyways.

Edited for Clarity:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think this is a good cover. Yujin has always been nasal, but here she's going much lighter to be more powerful and that's why she kinda sounds like Jisoo.

It's more practical.

External Content www.youtube.com

Here you can see how she's more husky + grounded, and she's improved on her groundedness throughout her IZ*One career.

• Thank you so much, that’s probably the most detailed analysis I’ve seen on her vocals. It’s definitely something interesting to know about❤️

Since SSE is known to have good vocal trainers, do you think Yujin has the potential to improve one day? As in, being able to support to some extent? I’ve seen people say that she isn’t really a powerhouse vocal, which is true I guess, but do you think she can at least be average for the kpop standard?

Edit: I realized that what I’ve been missing is her groundedness. So you believe it could return anytime soon?

• Thank you so much, that’s probably the most detailed analysis I’ve seen on her vocals. It’s definitely something interesting to know about❤️

Since SSE is known to have good vocal trainers, do you think Yujin has the potential to improve one day? As in, being able to support to some extent? I’ve seen people say that she isn’t really a powerhouse vocal, which is true I guess, but do you think she can at least be average for the kpop standard?

Yujin is a decent vocalist - she's not that far from support. Her biggest problem - which I instantly heard was her glottal tension. Most sub vocalists and a lot of lead vocalists tend to sing with tension and a closed throat even in their mid-range. Yujin had this problem the worst out of the entire IZ*One vocal line.

I would say she is an average chestier soprano w/above average live singing skills.

It's a bit worrying when it's a main vocalist though. She also has nasality like I mentioned.One plus point is that she's pretty consistent + she's confident and she's also improved a lot on her musical understanding. In PD48, she didn't really know the basics at all but she learnt a lot about dynamics, stylistic choices and singing w/an impact during IZ*One.

Off the top of my head Loona Kim Lip, CheBul Jiwon, Gfriend SinB are around her level, ITZY Yeji is a bit below it, and G-idle Minnie is a bit above it.

----------------------

The real problem isn't her getting support though, it's about maintaining it. Yujin has kept her problems since predebut because they don't want to mess up her stability, but actually introducing things that will combat her flaws will change her stability on stage.

In Ive they'd need to change things up a bit for Yujin to be able to change her technique. Overlaying member vocals would give her a lot of slack.

Rei is very stable but nasal: the lower/middle range should be her limit, anything higher and she'd go off pitch. LeeSeo reminds me a bit of debut Yeri, she has good phrasing but wouldn't be able to consistently do higher parts. WonYoung has pretty good falsettos, but shines best in her deeper set voice - they should keep doing what they are w/her.

Now I see things that can be changed with Liz, Gaeul and Yujin.

With Yujin, they should give her a bit more slack with the upper parts so she can gain support - for that Liz could handle a lot of the upper-range dynamics, but I see a lot of potential in Gaeul.

Gaeul arguably has the worst pitch of the group, training as a rapper but the least technical problems and is less softer than Liz. She has a very clear voice like Kepler Mashiro - which makes it perfect for an upper part. A bit more training and I can see her sharing some of the higher parts with Yujin. Especially since she has a clear voice, a joint part would flow well.

----------------

With her having less pressure on her back, it would be easy, I'd say ~1.5 years to learn support? I'd say around 2.5 to be consistent with light support. But again, crazy schedules + dieting will eat into that. There's not a huge barrier technically speaking for her to support, and she's shown dedication.

Her C#3s are very decent so she's not far off at all. Most companies would be able to teach her support, not just Starship. [But ofc Starship vocal training is a plus]

Really good lower range potential (autotuned but she's fuller than most)

Her phrasing isn't too bad - belting is decent

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!