The Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission announces it will conduct an ex officio investigation into HYBE

• The Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission announced on the 15th that it will conduct an ex officio investigation into a large-scale free fam tour conducted by Korean reporters in connection with the recent BTS performance in the United States.

HYBE invited 100 reporters to BTS's Las Vegas performance and supported all related expenses, such as airfare and accommodation, which is controversially in violation of the Act on the Prohibition of Solicitation and Grafting and Grafting (Kim Young-ran Act). in relation to

An Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission official said on the same day, "We decided to investigate ex officio (to HYBE, the agency) in relation to BTS' media company's fam tour." "The specific schedule has not been confirmed. order,” he said.

According to the Kim Young-ran Act, if a reporter receives money, valuables, or sponsorships exceeding 1 million won at one time or 3 million won per year from the same person, he/she shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than 3 years or a fine not exceeding 30 million won. The person giving the money is also punished with the same sentence.

HYBE's position is that this Fam Tour falls under the exception of the Kim Young-ran Act. Article 8, Paragraph 3, No. 6 of this Act is punishable by “money and goods, such as transportation, lodging, food, etc., provided by the organizer uniformly to attendees within the normal range at official events related to the duties of public officials, etc. (including reporters and teachers)” stipulated as an exception.

It is estimated that the expenses that HYBE provided to reporters on the Fam Tour are at least 2 million won per person. The question is whether this amount of money and valuables can be regarded as falling within the 'normal scope' of the exception.

This is also related to provisions related to food, congratulatory and congratulatory expenses, and gifts, which are other exceptions. In principle, catering is also prohibited, but only partially permitted for "smooth job performance or for social, ceremonial or support purposes." The upper limit is 30,000 won for food, 100,000 won for congratulations and condolences, and 50,000 won for gifts (100,000 to 200,000 won for processed agricultural and fishery products).

There are reactions from the legal community that it is difficult to understand Hive's explanation. A senior lawyer said, "Considering the purpose of the Anti-Graft Act, if (HYBE) paid the reporters' round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations instead, it is highly likely to be interpreted as outside the 'normal range'." Another lawyer said, "For example, in the case of 'transportation expenses' specified in Article 8, Paragraph 3, No. 6 of the Act, it seems appropriate for the Incheon-LA international airfare to be borne by the media that dispatches reporters for the purpose of reporting. If HYBE pays about the cost of using the shuttle bus between the hotel and the concert hall, it will not go against the purpose of the law.”

[마플] BTS 美공연 '공짜 팸투어' 논란 확산..권익위 '직권조사'
    국민권익위원회가 연예기획사 하이브(대표 박지원)가 최근 방탄소년단(BTS)의 미국 공연과 관련해 국내 기자들을…
    www.instiz.net

• this isn't even the first time bts had large scale press conferences and presses for their comebacks and concerts. this is becoming a fucking witch hunt :pepe-shrug:

• Invited 100 reporters? Isn’t that media play?

media PAY* I can't believe you could miss this joke :pepe-onions:

for real, no it's not because they're not being paid to write good/bad things, in this case its because its said that the range for expenses for these journalists were bigger than what's allowed by law for idk 1k dollars or something

• What an odd law. I mean, I understand why it exists but in the US this all expenses paid trips for journalists are pretty normal so it's surprising to see something like this being regarded as a problem.

• It's surprising that HYBE weren't more careful.

I recall stumbling across the Law years ago when I was wondering why TWICE's Parents and Family were buying Tickets rather than JYPE or the members.

I forgot who's mother was asking her daughter how to buy tickets online

I think JYPE might have reserve Tickets if Family Members of their Entertainers want to buy them.

The Kim Young-ran Act is basically aimed at preventing corruption through "gifting" which is out of hand in SK by Corporations that basically "buy" support with Brand Name Gifts and Expensive Dining.

I think the Academy Awards have also banned "Free Screenings" for their Members so it's not unheard of.

Anyway, I can't see this a problem that will affect HYBE but it does serve as a reminder

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!