How are groups today peaking well passed their 5th year?

• Groups during 1st and 2nd gen peaked in their 2nd or 3rd year and were still successful afterwards, but they didn't blow up in their 5th, 6th, 7th year like current groups.

• Besides kpop adding more and more fans everyday I really don't know.

But I still don't trust todays album sales. It just doesn't add up how a group is doubling their previous sales with each release.

• BTS do i need to say more.

they continue to double thier stats

in fact, here is some data that is actually quite insane

Pre dynamite meaning 7 years worth of data and post dynamite which would be under 2 years worth of data. They have grown insanely in their 8th and 9th years and will probably continue to do so in their 10th year.

And they have yet to peak honestly

• Groups during 1st and 2nd gen peaked in their 2nd or 3rd year and were still successful afterwards, but they didn't blow up in their 5th, 6th, 7th year like current groups.

IMO - The Hallyu wave, led by BTS currently, is still growing and really benefitted during the pandemic when people turned heavily to the internet and various forms of social media as a response to lockdown.

• kpop is just growing + pandemic money

people couldnt go out and do stuff, so more streaming + more money for albums + for time to find kpop as life got boring for alot of people

• I don't see BTS being responsible for other groups continued growth. They may help by checking out other groups out of curiosity but that's not enough to explain the surge in album sales from other groups. Cause new Army especially are not going out and buying other groups albums.

• I don't see BTS being responsible for other groups continued growth. They may help by checking out other groups out of curiosity but that's not enough to explain the surge in album sales from other groups. Cause new Army especially are not going out and buying other groups albums.

Pre BTS's blow up in the west. It was much much harder for western Kpop fans to buy their faves albums. It was possible but it was either super expensive (reducing the likelihood of buying) or it would take super long to get the albums. BTS was the first kpop act to have shops like Target etc even take a chance at stocking their albums. That lead to these shops seeing that there is maybe a demand for kpop albums to be sold in their shops hence leading to more and more kpop acts having their albums sold in these shops making it no only easier but also cheaper for fans who used to have to overpay to get albums shipped from afar.

If BTS hadn't showed that there is some demand to sell them in these shops, its unlikely these shops or labels that sign kpop groups for distribution would do so.

so yes ARMY isn't buying the albums but thanks to ARMYs showing that the demand which lead to BTS albums being put into western stores was there. It allowed more kpop acts to have their albums be stocked in these easier to acccess shops. Thus making it more likely for fans of other acts to be able to buy their faves album without forking out more money than they need too for insane shipping and thus increasing sales as their fans are more likely to buy the album and hence increasing the sales of groups since more people are able to buy albums.

• Pre BTS's blow up in the west. It was much much harder for western Kpop fans to buy their faves albums. It was possible but it was either super expensive (reducing the likelihood of buying) or it would take super long to get the albums. BTS was the first kpop act to have shops like Target etc even take a chance at stocking their albums. That lead to these shops seeing that there is maybe a demand for kpop albums to be sold in their shops hence leading to more and more kpop acts having their albums sold in these shops making it no only easier but also cheaper for fans who used to have to overpay to get albums shipped from afar.

If BTS hadn't showed that there is some demand to sell them in these shops, its unlikely these shops or labels that sign kpop groups for distribution would do so.

so yes ARMY isn't buying the albums but thanks to ARMYs showing that the demand which lead to BTS albums being put into western stores was there. It allowed more kpop acts to have their albums be stocked in these easier to acccess shops. Thus making it more likely for fans of other acts to be able to buy their faves album without forking out more money than they need too for insane shipping and thus increasing sales as their fans are more likely to buy the album and hence increasing the sales of groups since more people are able to buy albums.

This is actually a great point I hadn't thought about. I'll agree now that yes this has had some impact on other groups selling power.

• Pre BTS's blow up in the west. It was much much harder for western Kpop fans to buy their faves albums. It was possible but it was either super expensive (reducing the likelihood of buying) or it would take super long to get the albums. BTS was the first kpop act to have shops like Target etc even take a chance at stocking their albums. That lead to these shops seeing that there is maybe a demand for kpop albums to be sold in their shops hence leading to more and more kpop acts having their albums sold in these shops making it no only easier but also cheaper for fans who used to have to overpay to get albums shipped from afar.

Well said!

I can walk into my local target and see an NCT, BTS, and SKZ album on the shelf. That didn't happen before 2018.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Which groups?

I dont think many are but KPOP as a whole is growing so physically they might re peak.

KPOP is growing and will continue even without a certain group. Like it was growing before them.

• Which groups?

I dont think many are but KPOP as a whole is growing so physically they might re peak.

KPOP is growing and will continue even without a certain group. Like it was growing before them.

Yeah, people have to be specific about these things cause physically peaking and digitally peaking are two different things. A lot of 2nd Gen groups sold more albums in their 5th year than their first two. Very few groups and acts repeak digitally. Most do that in their early years.

• Kpop is more global and easier to buy and consume.

When I first started following Kpop, you had to get your cds from a specific store or a few sites, and you waited for someone to translate and post EXO content.

In today’s world, I can walk into Target and buy a NCT cd, then watch content made entirely in English OR ready to go with subtitles straight from the company. I can watch a live with live subtitles.

I don’t even have to stay up late necessarily till watch things because some launches are timed to be “doable” in my region OR are appearing on shows in my country.

On Sticker, I got push notifications (ie texts) from the NCT account (this isn’t even the fan club), emails from Spotify about “preordering” to ensure it was ready when it came out and Instagram ads that clicked through to let me preorder on Apple. All of this is while getting a constant stream of content from the group on social platforms, including mock TV shows, behind the scenes build up and goofy TikToks.

Stack onto this increased globalization and ease of access, the power of social channels to keep acts relevant year-round and then layer in a pandemic that kept everyone at home with little to do but consume said content and music.

Globalization + accessibility + social + pandemic

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• some groups are peaking and some are not...

I'm not sure about overall numbers but for the top groups (your one percenters if you will) are doing great...

for the rest of the majority of kpop though...they remain pretty stagnant???

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!