Why Big Bang not a physical monster like other big groups?

• I was thinking of this video, based on gaon sales

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

GD Heartbreaker sold around 330k vs bigbang best selling album Alive selling 279k

And GD OOAK selling the same as bigbang 2nd best selling album MADE

need to add in some context though that all of made had physical releases also.

• I was thinking of this video, based on gaon sales

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

GD Heartbreaker sold around 330k vs bigbang best selling album Alive selling 279k

And GD OOAK selling the same as bigbang 2nd best selling album MADE

You could be right, the last I kept up with their album sales was many moons ago ;-) All good.

• You are only comparing them to SM group and in 2nd gen SM groups physical sales were just not attainable by other groups/companies back then

If you compare them with other bgs who were also very popular back in 2nd gen, those numbers(200k) were above average.

They're the most famous bg in 2nd gen and I compare them to groups that less popular than them even all these groups really popular too. And often, the lead groups like Bts, Exo and now Skz, En, txt sold the most albums as they're leading their gen. This is not about which group I compare them, but the fact they sell less than those groups.

• When you spend 51 weeks at #1 on Melon Weekly Chart, literally the toughest chart in Korea, with 18 songs, you dont need to sell albums. Compare that to Twice (7 songs?), BP (3 songs), BTS (4 songs), Winner (3 songs), and you get the picture real clear.

This is not the question. Thank you, next.

• But your question doesn't have a "right" answer and plenty of users tried to answer it according to what they think so...

Other users given good point actually and that users I replied basically just said Big Bang doesn't need album sales and on top of that this is about their physical not digital.

• their huge fandom are mostly GP or maybe it's just that people genuinely love them for their music. Not visual / photocards (idk if photocards exist in 2nd gen). Like maybe streaming their music is just enough.

• - Digital was rated way way higher than physical back then

- They had long breaks between albums

- BigBang albums usually consisted of already released singles. Bigbang didn't really do "B-Sides".

- They had a lot of male fans compared to other male idol groups.

- Scandals!

- Chinese fans buying a huge amount of albums wasn't really a thing back then.

I could name even more reasons but it's pretty obvious that Bigbang is not your typical idol group. Are they even idols?

• Because during 2nd gen, most groups were either great at physicals or digitals. It was rare for a group to be good at both. BIGBANG's lane was digitals.

SNSD were able to be good at both :p

As for Bigbang tbh, I've been wondering about that too.

To people saying that Bigbang only or mostly had general public and not the hardcore fanbase, I don't think that's true.

If that was the case, Big Bang and BB stans wouldn't have been boasting about BB's massive concert attendances.

Concerts and album sales are indicators for fanbase: if fans are willing to attend and pay for a concert, then they're also willing to pay for an album.

The only thing I can think of is that YG Entertainment maybe didn't make the BB albums appealing enough to draw in huge interest from fans to them, at least not as much as other companies like SM did back then? Album sales didn't seem a main focus for YGE to invest in at that time.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Casuals go to concerts all the time. A concert is an event where buying a physical album is just a bonus. People will listen to the songs online anyway.

• Casuals go to concerts all the time. A concert is an event where buying a physical album is just a bonus. People will listen to the songs online anyway.

It's an extra step, additional time and money investment you need to make into a group, just like with albums, it's more something fans will do.

Casuals like multistans might like and listen to other groups than their main bias, but they don't necessarily go to their concerts and buy their albums of groups they're only casually interested in.

That's why boy groups often have huge concert attendances next to huge album sales - both fanbase related - while for example a group iike Sistar had huge public interest but meagre album sales and concert attendance.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!