Blackpink's long hiatus is not a strategy and if it is, it's not a very good one

• I get the strategy of limiting releases to build and fuel the hype machine, but this is beyond ridiculous.. (Or at least do a better job of spacing out the solo content during the hiatus..)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I don't think it's a strategy so much as that Teddy probably hasn't been satisfied with any preliminary material. Plus it's not like the girls haven't done jack. 3 of 4 girls had solo singles with Lisa killing it on the charts. Sure the quality hasn't been as good as tracks done as a group however considering the commercial success, things are fine so far. I agree though that YG leaves money on the table by not keeping fans updated or having them do more content in the interim.

• YG never wanted them to be the face of the label at first and only realized their mistakes after burning sun scandal. They prioritized their boy groups winner and ikon in 2017 and 2018. Remember when ikon came back four times in 2018? That was ridiculous. They were also introducing treasure in 2018 so early after the failure of mix nine.

YG was thinking of giving two comebacks to bp after success of dddd in 2019 but we all know what happened. Their boygroups made a huge mess and bp had to suffer for it.

This might be a hot take but everything yg did in 2020 and 2021 felt more like an apology and desperately trying to renew their contracts by giving them full album and solos. So, these two years would not be a considered a bad move if they succeed in renewing blackpink's contract for another 5 years.

Back to your point, retaining fans has never been much of a problem as they had a comeback every year and other activities that keep fans interested. Why would fans want to stan a Walmart ver. when the original is right there?

But I don't know what to feel if they renew their contracts. That might be the last straw for many fans. I think the members themselves would also be looking for more solo albums especially Jennie and Rosé which might become a problem for the group's future and only make the future hiatus even longer.

• YG never wanted them to be the face of the label at first and only realized their mistakes after burning sun scandal. They prioritized their boy groups winner and ikon in 2017 and 2018. Remember when ikon came back four times in 2018? That was ridiculous. They were also introducing treasure in 2018 so early after the failure of mix nine.

YG was thinking of giving two comebacks to bp after success of dddd in 2019 but we all know what happened. Their boygroups made a huge mess and bp had to suffer for it.

This might be a hot take but everything yg did in 2020 and 2021 felt more like an apology and desperately trying to renew their contracts by giving them full album and solos. So, these two years would not be a considered a bad move if they succeed in renewing blackpink's contract for another 5 years.

Back to your point, retaining fans has never been much of a problem as they had a comeback every year and other activities that keep fans interested. Why would fans want to stan a Walmart ver. when the original is right there?

But I don't know what to feel if they renew their contracts. That might be the last straw for many fans. I think the members themselves would also be looking for more solo albums especially Jennie and Rosé which might become a problem for the group's future and only make the future hiatus even longer.

We cant know for sure what they want but if they do end up renewing hopefully it will be in more favorable terms. If they don't I cant even blame them for wanting to leave that shitty ass company

• To me Blackpink is like a western artist who releases music once in awhile so it really doesn't bother me. I feel like they've separated themselves from this kpop structure that everyone else follows. They're also doing multiple other things other than releasing music. They're not idle or in the dungeon. They're out there doing stuff, making connections etc. Releasing music/promoting isn't the only thing that is making them successful.

• We cant know for sure what they want but if they do end up renewing hopefully it will be in more favorable terms. If they don't I cant even blame them for wanting to leave that shitty ass company

I know we talk so much about long hiatus but I'm tired of talking about it. It is sadly still a strategy albeit a bad one that is used to brainwash the fans into thinking yg music is better. All yg groups have suffered from it. It's just that blackpink suffered more and multiple times unlike their boygroups.

• It’s a dumbass strategy, as far as I am concerned… and it’s *certainly* one that is unfair to the girls and their talent…

However, the company has been incredibly lucky in this, because of the unusually charismatic nature of the girls. They have *just about* released enough, relying on the girls as stan attractors, that they can get away with this whole ‘minimal expenditure, minimal exposure, mad profit’ tactic. Diehard fans are desperate, they might lose some old fans who are fed up, but the drip feeding of *just enough* new content, along with the history of decently-performing old content creates enough who are hungry for a new release as well that they can get away with it.

And if they *can*, why wouldn’t they at this point? They barely have to spend any of their own money at this point but can rely on the girls’ charisma to generate enough interest for new content, even if they lose a few fans along the way.

• It is so sad when I think about it, I think YG has really a good and mega popular gg on their hands I don't think they are losing fans

but wtf is YG even thinking? It has been a loooong time

like for real we can speculate for decades and never be able to understand how a company with a gg so big is doing such a mess up!

:pepefacepalm:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!