Is Blackpink's The album one of if not the biggest era for a gg of all times?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

imo if it isn't yet, it will be very soon considering it's still doing well on all platforms. 2 billion index in korea, 1.5m album sales, etc. Obviously there are legendary status albums like Spice girls' debut which sold over 20m back then but that was another era for the format. I also don't think it had the album's ww reach outside of their global hit "Wannabe".

Needless to say BP let the bar very high and will be hard to surpass even for them :pepepizza:

• Bp set the bar high and then left us dry ;(

• Of all time? In Asia maybe. Actually I think it's probably the biggest album by a group in Asia, THE ALBUM's debut numbers were undefeated until Taylor came around with RED TV.

idk about WW

edit: Forgot it had the help of two strong pre-release singles, definitely still up there though

yes both bp and tiddy hit it big

not tiddy ;(

• Of all time? In Asia maybe. Actually I think it's probably the biggest album by a group in Asia, THE ALBUM's debut numbers were undefeated until Taylor came around with RED TV.

idk about WW

not tiddy ;(

They obviously have no equal in asia, their spotify numbers there can rival even BTS. I guess we will have to wait and see, I just feel their impact and numbers outside of asia are much bigger than older really big gg album that were only relevant in some western countries

• They can hit higher peak in asia too because india has just started to get into them and s.e.a countries are still crazy over them. Overall peak, i really believe it will be easy for blackpink to surpass their previous records. The only country i just can't tell is korea. Can't tell about album sales either. The hiatus is too long for proper dedicated fans.

I have noticed that as well, I remember around 15% of hylt's streams were coming from india a year after the album released, hell even ktl was charting on spotify india. Seems like they got strong hold of that market. I'm not so sure about album sales either but their next one should be an easy million seller considering rosie and lisa's solo

• What are these albums? I can only name 1 by tlc, spice girls & maybe 5th harmony and it's debatable. None from little mix is bigger

i mean idrk. i don't keep up with how successful albums were and stuff, but there are tons of successful girl groups out there as well. kudos to blackpink for doing as well as they are though. just my opinion.

• I think we can say it is one of the best performing albums among groups too I read somewhere it has 6.5m units sold worldwide and top5 overall in 2020 it is really great for how short album was

• In kpop yes, no other era could actually match it, overall probably only surpassed by either TLC, SG or DC. But in likely the last 20 years there hasn't been an era of a gg that much succesfull, 7/27 was hard carried by WFH and was cut when Canola left, and Glory Days only did noise in europe, TA made its three singles digitally very succesful and bsides too while selling physically well too

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

imo if it isn't yet, it will be very soon considering it's still doing well on all platforms. 2 billion index in korea, 1.5m album sales, etc. Obviously there are legendary status albums like Spice girls' debut which sold over 20m back then but that was another era for the format. I also don't think it had the album's ww reach outside of their global hit "Wannabe".

Needless to say BP let the bar very high and will be hard to surpass even for them :pepepizza:

I don't think BP set the bar very high actually especially global wise

I think they will crush every single record they set with THE ALBUM ERA with this upcoming era 👀

• In kpop yes, no other era could actually match it, overall probably only surpassed by either TLC, SG or DC. But in likely the last 20 years there hasn't been an era of a gg that much succesfull, 7/27 was hard carried by WFH and was cut when Canola left, and Glory Days only did noise in europe, TA made its three singles digitally very succesful and bsides too while selling physically well too

It's hard comparing with the likes of tlc & dc as their success was very u.s/europe focused. No denying though their pure sales were massive back then (like almost all big artists of that era). It's hard comparing different eras lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!