any debuts in kpop that were bigger than blackpink's debut?

• internationally, no, i doubt any grp will replicate Boombayah

Korea, Into the new world?

I'd say Dalla dalla is probably the closest thing in recent times

Into the New World retrospectively got popular.

I agree Dalla Dalla is the best recent example. before that Miss A and 2NE1. 2NE1's debut is a bit understated, they had 3 songs in the Melon top 10 year-end chart in their debut year.

• Into the New World retrospectively got popular.

I agree Dalla Dalla is the best recent example. before that Miss A and 2NE1. 2NE1's debut is a bit understated, they had 3 songs in the Melon top 10 year-end chart in their debut year.

Interesting on 2NE1.

I feel like ppl overhype Blackpink's debut success tbh. Yes it was big but not groundbreaking esp when their first few comebacks involved bigger songs with PWF, AIIYL, then D4.

Whileas for Miss A, ITZY, the debut songs are big enuf to be their biggest song

Boombayah was also a climber and got bigger as time went on

• That doesn't really say anything though. If anything, that just shows how Blackpink continues to grow more successful with each comeback they provide us, even when they were already very successful from even their debut.

• For BP it was more the hype and attention they had at debut as they were years in the making rather than the songs itself. I don't think a group has come out with the same level of hype as BP in kpop. BP fans were pretty active years before they even had their actual debut.

Whistle is not a very big song in itself like Dalla Dalla, Fire, bad girl good girl etc were, neither is Boombayah in SK. LOA for example was bigger than both in the long run and ended up as one of the biggest debut songs in kpop, but Twice are known for having a a bit of an understated debut. So I agree the success aspect is probably overstated, especially in SK if you go by numbers.

• For BP it was more the hype and attention they had at debut as they were years in the making rather than the songs itself. I don't think a group has come out with the same level of hype as BP in kpop. BP fans were pretty active years before they even had their actual debut.

Whistle is not a very big song in itself like Dalla Dalla, Fire, bad girl good girl etc were, neither is Boombayah in SK. LOA for example was bigger than both in the long run and ended up as one of the biggest debut songs in kpop, but Twice are known for having a a bit of an understated debut. So I agree the success aspect is probably overstated, especially in SK if you go by numbers.

I agree with your statements, but I also think context matters. LOA isn’t considered a bigger debut than Whistle because it was a sleeper hit and then its run was increased by Cheer Up’s success. Twice absolutely had a bigger debut year than BP. LOA had more success in the long run, but ultimately it wasn’t a bigger debut if that makes sense. Other than that, I agree that 2ne1 and Miss A had a bigger debut and debut year. Dalla Dalla is the recent close but it was released at the top and Whistle at the 3/4 mark of the year. Plus, it being Itzy’s only smash hit put it in a better light. Almost Miss A like, they went on to other smash hits tho. 2ne1, TWICE, and BP went on to create other smash hits so their debuts are swayed in some way.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!