South Korea Music Streaming Market Share (as of December 2021):

• If I'm remember right from the last time one of the graphs was around, YouTube was #2 behind Melon.

• According to the pie chart, Melon and Genie only comprise a combined 56.52% market share.

Thus, the included tables can be considered misleading, as they leave out the remaining 43.48% of the market, which represent a share of streams that could easily sway the rankings.

• If this and another article some weeks ago are to be believed melons market share has gone down alot less than many assumed, and in the end Kakao still sits at 40% market share.

At current rate it will still remain the most relevant chart for years to come.

According to the pie chart, Melon and Genie only comprise a combined 56.52% market share.

Thus, the included tables can be considered misleading, as they leave out the remaining 43.48% of the market, which represent a share of streams that could easily sway the rankings.

Melons share alone is enough to extrapolate from, there wouldnt be any big changes i think, at least nothing in top 3.

However, as tables are based on unfiltered streams the data leans heavily towards artists with fanbases that zombiestream. It would look alot different if it were based on filtered data.

Lim young wongs ratio is just silly when compared to his UL numbers and for how long he has been active, if this continues he will soon pass by BTS in streams.

• Melons share alone is enough to extrapolate from, there wouldnt be any big changes i think, at least nothing in top 3.

Oh yeah, for the top 3 or so, yes I would probably agree.

My concern is more with the lower ranks of the tables, where differences in rank can be driven by a less than 1% variance in the number of streams, a number that could easily be made up by the remaining 43.48% of the market.

Also, I'm also worried that Melon may not actually be representative. For example, I believe it's fairly well-established that Korean ONCEs have "boycotted" Melon, resulting in worse performance for Twice there compared to other music platforms.

• actually I'm kind of surprised

after all Youtube Music is what?

songs with just album cover uploaded to youtube...

even tho I'm curious where are those people who said that Melon is dying :pepe-use-head:

I hope FLO will rise even more

it was created by South Korean Telecom in co-operation with JYP, SM, and HYBE

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Why is bugs still used for ichart and for PAKs. They need to replace it with YT music look how big the marker share is. Even kakao music is bigger than bugs

The common thought is that YouTube doesn't provide the daily data necessary to determine CAKs/PAKs.

Edited once, last by wsoet ().

• DEFINITELY.

Everyone shits on Melon but their daily and 24 Hits charts are still the kings when it comes to determining GP popularity. Although they still have one weakness - the fact that they doublecount a song's actual popularity by allowing downloads to be counted in addition to ULs. I've seen situations where fandom downloads push a song ahead of another song that has more ULs.

With all that said, it is still the best chart for determining true popularity, even better than Gaon, at least when it comes to the top 10 (huge fandoms can still unfairly distort Melon at the lower end of charts). I've seen so many acts going crazy on Gaon Digital Points chart, i still remember one of those musty trotists getting #1 on Gaon Digital and i think like 40 MILLION Gaon points in one week because of zombie streaming, meanwhile that singer came nowhere close to #1 on Melon Daily. Gaon is too easily manipulated and seems to give too much weight to fandom zombie streams and downloads.

Melon still king at least for the top rankings.

• Melons share alone is enough to extrapolate from

So to test this, I input all the figures in the tables above into Excel and calculated, for each artist, the percentage of total streams that Melon represents:

MelonGenieStreams.png

As you can see in the table above, there is a significant variance in Melon's share of streams between artists, ranging from 88.52% for EXO to only 64.34% for Kim Ho-joong. Thus, I do not feel comfortable using only Melon data to represent overall streaming numbers.

• Why is bugs still used for ichart and for PAKs. They need to replace it with YT music look how big the marker share is. Even kakao music is bigger than bugs

Yt music only has weekly charts if i am not wrong. No hourly or daily updates.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• actually I'm kind of surprised

after all Youtube Music is what?

songs with just album cover uploaded to youtube...

I thought YouTube music is like spotify if you pay for it you can listen to albums with your screen off.

even tho I'm curious where are those people who said that Melon is dying

Most were sure spotify would overtake it or something lol

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!