About the Korean beauty standards

• I remember how some days ago someone on here made a post on VIXX saying they are not the "typical boygroup when it comes to the Korean beauty standart" as like if they would look less actractive or anything.

My mind randomly went to GOT7, iKON, AKMU, WINNER,... and a few more artists

I wonder why people love to call someone group as "outside of the Korean beauty standart" when the members arn't looking like IDK but it confuses me a lot. I mean people for example say that let's say the member of Stray Kids fit into the typical thing what you all think would be the "Korean beauty standart" but than someone like T.O.P or Mino comes around and all of a sudon the majority of people says they would be far away from it. They also do it with a lot female idols too. I mean you constantly get to hear from people how Hwasa or Jessi would be out of the "korean beauty standart".

And the majority of people who say this probably don't even know how an average Korean looks like. This is as if I would say that everyone in America who dosn't looks like Kiley, Ariana or Doja would be "out of the American Beauty standart" and that is dumb too.

BTW those are average Korean people, photgraphed on the street, for everyone who is so delulu and thinks that Korean beauty was just surounded by K-idol looking people to open your mind:

cats.jpg

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I think there’s a difference of saying Beauty Standard and what the general population actually looks like. Now alot of kpop fans do think they mean the same so they go to Korea expecting every dude to be 6ft tall and looking like Jin.

Kpop definitely has romanticized and fueled fetishizations of Koreans, but then again every major entertainment in the world does that to their people.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• BTW those are average Korean people, photgraphed on the street, for everyone who is so delulu and thinks that Korean beauty was just surounded by K-idol looking people to open your mind:

cats.jpg

To be fair, alot of idols do look like your average Koreans if you take their makeup off. They’re constantly wearing makeup so hard to tell sometimes what their natural features are. Alot of them aren’t as pale or “whitewashed” as they actually appear in videos and shoots. And then you have the issue of plastic surgery being rampant in Korea. Not to say they’re ugly.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• Who says T.O.P doesn't fit KBS?? He was one of the most popular visuals of the 2nd gen and did good as an actor. He probably fits the classic look better than any SKZ member

But I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to say. When people talk about Korean beauty standard they aren't talking about what the average Korean looks like but what the ideal physical appearance are according to most Koreans.

• I think there’s a difference of saying Beauty Standard and what the general population actually looks like. Now alot of kpop fans do think they mean the same so they go to Korea expecting every dude to be 6ft tall and looking like Jin.

Kpop definitely has romanticized and fueled fetishizations of Koreans, but then again every major entertainment in the world does that to their people.

Is it bad that I almost didn't recognize you without your old profile picture? It's good to see you around though and I like the new one. I actually agree with what you said. The general population does not always reflect the beauty standards there. I, for example, don't fit quite a few of the American beauty standards, yet here I am. That doesn't change the American beauty standards, just because of one person. Everyone looks so different in any given area, it would be impossible for any beauty standard to fit everyone without becoming blatantly contradictory. Those are my thoughts on the matter. Have a great day/night!

• Honestly, I have no idea what Korean Beauty Standards are, and I would not even begin to say an idol does or does not fit it unless they are hailed as a top beauty in Korea.

Sometimes I nail it on the head of which member Koreans will like the most, but most times I am way off. So, I don't even try. I just let Koreans pick who they pick as the visuals.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• This is due to the fact that the advertisement or media of the typical Korean beauty standard is really omnipresent. While you have more diversity in Western advertisment (showcase of typical normal people) than in Korea. Also, people tend to see actors and actresses as the Beauty standards and fashion standard in Korea. It becomes really obvious when you go to parts of Seoul like Gangnam or Sina instead of Hongdae

• Is it bad that I almost didn't recognize you without your old profile picture? It's good to see you around though and I like the new one. I actually agree with what you said. The general population does not always reflect the beauty standards there. I, for example, don't fit quite a few of the American beauty standards, yet here I am. That doesn't change the American beauty standards, just because of one person. Everyone looks so different in any given area, it would be impossible for any beauty standard to fit everyone without becoming blatantly contradictory. Those are my thoughts on the matter. Have a great day/night!

I’ve been around and trying to stay active lolol.

I don’t even know what the American Beauty Standard is these days. I’m sure it’s like inbetween Kim Kardashian, Jenners, and the Hadids. Which is not realistic at all unless you get surg done since their faces have changed through the years. And the general population definitely does not look like them considering much of the population is overweight.

• To be fair, alot of idols do look like your average Koreans if you take their makeup off. They’re constantly wearing makeup so hard to tell sometimes what their natural features are. Alot of them aren’t as pale or “whitewashed” as they actually appear in videos and shoots. And then you have the issue of plastic surgery being rampant in Korea. Not to say they’re ugly.

Not to disagree but kpop idols are really obvious to spot compared to the normal Korean citizen. They are much paler than them (due to additional beauty procedures), wear certain clothes and are very skinny.

• Honestly, I have no idea what Korean Beauty Standards are, and I would not even begin to say an idol does or does not fit it unless they are hailed as a top beauty in Korea.

Sometimes I nail it on the head of which member Koreans will like the most, but most times I am way off. So, I don't even try. I just let Koreans pick who they pick as the visuals.

I am the same way about pretty much everything, except I know a couple of the Korean Beauty Standards, but not all of them, so I know how you feel. I honestly couldn't care less about either how good an idol looks or if they fit the beauty standards, as long as their personality is good. Usually when I guess, I sometimes get it right and sometimes wrong, so I don't bother (it helps that I just don't care too). Have a great day/night!

• Not to disagree but kpop idols are really obvious to spot compared to the normal Korean citizen. They are much paler than them (due to additional beauty procedures), wear certain clothes and are very skinny.

Maybe? But I think they’re obvious to spot because you already know them. Mind you there are like 30-40 groups who debut every year. That’s atleast 200 people debuting every year in groups and very of them ever get the media attention of looking nice.

Also if you look at the OP post of regular young folks, plenty of regular Koreans are skinny.

• I’ve been around and trying to stay active lolol.

I don’t even know what the American Beauty Standard is these days. I’m sure it’s like inbetween Kim Kardashian, Jenners, and the Hadids. Which is not realistic at all unless you get surg done since their faces have changed through the years. And the general population definitely does not look like them considering much of the population is overweight.

I'm not positive what it is either, but I imagine that it's overly tan skin (but not to the point where you'll get called out for you know what, people sure don't want to be accused of that and for good reason), big butt, big b**bs (playing it safe, don't want to get my post flagged), thin waist, tall, skinny but curvy, blonde hair and blue eyes. I could be wrong on some of these though, so feel free to correct me if I am. I want to say you're wrong, but I can't without being wrong myself. A significant amount of Americans are some degree of overweight and study after study has proven that so it's pointless to deny it at this point. Besides, I live there and am able to see what's around me.

• Maybe? But I think they’re obvious to spot because you already know them. Mind you there are like 30-40 groups who debut every year. That’s atleast 200 people debuting every year in groups and very of them ever get the media attention of looking nice.

Also if you look at the OP post of regular young folks, plenty of regular Koreans are skinny.

The normal Idol is skinnier than the normal citizen. I was actually shocked to see some idols in RL (not on the stage, like in the room) and I say this due to my experience. I have met my fair share of idols and most of them wear face masks, so they are not recognizable as soon as possible

• I'm not positive what it is either, but I imagine that it's overly tan skin (but not to the point where you'll get called out for you know what, people sure don't want to be accused of that and for good reason), big butt, big b**bs (playing it safe, don't want to get my post flagged), thin waist, tall, skinny but curvy, blonde hair and blue eyes. I could be wrong on some of these though, so feel free to correct me if I am. I want to say you're wrong, but I can't without being wrong myself. A significant amount of Americans are some degree of overweight and study after study has proven that so it's pointless to deny it at this point. Besides, I live there and am able to see what's around me.

Basically the American beauty standard is a white woman who has features that you can commonly see in other ethnicities. Unfortunately this standard is not real since many of the people who do look like this aren’t natural themselves, like the Kardashians and Jenners.

Yeah it’s weird that people deny America’s weight problem. But then again being overweight and obese is normalized now for the sake of mental problems and the body positivity movement. But I’ll leave that there since it’s a very sensitive and personal topic for others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!