I think Blackpink’s success is the most impressive achievement in kpop

• Blackpink as the group as well as looking at them as the collective effort of YG I think how they found success is the most impressive thing in kpop.

Whether you think their music is high quality or not I truly do believe they became this huge simply based on how catchy their songs are and how charismatic the members are. And I want to emphasize on charisma here, there are plenty of pretty idols in kpop but I don’t think all of them have the sheer star quality that BP do.

They are not a group that gives any sort of extra content to amass such a huge fanbase. There’s nothing wrong with giving content to build a fanbase. And power to ofc everyone who does so.

But to deliver on the catchy music over and over again combined with their star power leading to success for me is extremely impressive.

Like how do you put together a group so good that you succeed from day 1 and only go up? I find that extremely fascinating.

Anyway I’m in a mood to celebrate women :eyes: who next :eyes: Twice? :eyes:

• Twice sounds good to me. I'm so proud of BLACKPINK and all their success. Those sweet girls deserve it so much. I hope one day, other girl groups will be as widely known and loved as them (I'm actually not sure if Twice is more popular than them or not in certain parts of the world, but if they are, I can see why and more power to them for that, they're great too). Have a great day/night!

• From the very beginning they just moved different. Their diversity and international appeal just stood out. Two foreign members, another growing up in NZ. Their English fluency, their truly organic and meteoric rise, particularly in the West. Their distinct voices in their music, the fact that there's only four of them which makes it much easier to showcase their individual appeal (although it also means added pressure in their live performances). For better or for worse, Blackpink is the most unique group in Kpop.

• Twice sounds good to me. I'm so proud of BLACKPINK and all their success. Those sweet girls deserve it so much. I hope one day, other girl groups will be as widely known and loved as them (I'm actually not sure if Twice is more popular than them or not in certain parts of the world, but if they are, I can see why and more power to them for that, they're great too). Have a great day/night!

Twice have their charm and strengths too there enough place for everyone. BP is just so resoundingly impressive. Like I think about them and their success just..makes sense. Oh Lisa song was a hit? That’s expected. Oh Jennie had a hit? Makes sense. Like I just expect them to be successful and they ARE. Lol. That always impresses me.

• From the very beginning they just moved different. Their diversity and international appeal just stood out. Two foreign members, another growing up in NZ. Their English fluency, their truly organic and meteoric rise, particularly in the West. Their distinct voices in their music, the fact that there's only four of them which makes it much easier to showcase their individual appeal (although it also means added pressure in their live performances). For better or for worse, Blackpink is the most unique group in Kpop.

They are the complete package that’s for sure.

You just spit straight facts with that last sentence, didn't you? Actually, with the entire thing. All I can say is amen. Have a great day/night!

• Twice have their charm and strengths too there enough place for everyone. BP is just so resoundingly impressive. Like I think about them and their success just..makes sense. Oh Lisa song was a hit? That’s expected. Oh Jennie had a hit? Makes sense. Like I just expect them to be successful and they ARE. Lol. That always impresses me.

It does to me too. I don't know how to explain it, but their success is almost expected by this point and it makes so much sense for some unexplainable reason to me.

• I knew you liked hem but didn’t know you knew them before exo :woow:

I like them. I like GGs in general.

Yeah, well... I discovered EXO by reading about Jennie and Kai being together. I was like "let's see who is this guy", saw a dude with a playboy-looking face and after a while I decided to check a song from his group as well.

But I have a hard time liking most girl groups, so yeah....BP are an expection.

• There must be a reason they regularly cause mass hysteria with such few songs.

they are truly the girlgroup to rule them all. the godesses of excess and champions of sensory overload.

every new track feels liky you get trampled by a horde disco ball skinned rhinozeros-pegasi.

IKR. No matter what you have to acknowledge they release HIT songs over and over again. As a group. As solos.

• Yeah, well... I discovered EXO by reading about Jennie and Kai being together. I was like "let's see who is this guy", saw a dude with a playboy-looking face and after a while I decided to check a song from his group as well.

But I have a hard time liking most girl groups, so yeah....BP are an expection.

Wow I’ve only seen EXO fans who like other GGs. An original GG Stan liking EXO is new info. Nice you found EXO. As you should :pepe-tea:

• Yeah I agree with everything you said. YG's ability to hold them back is a close second as well, I will never call what they do an strategy, it's just incompetence :/

I used to think it was a strategy when I was a baby blink and wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt, but now there's no denying that's the case. I hope they get treated better. The girls (Jennie and Jisoo specifically) even requested before to do two comebacks a year at least, yet it still hasn't happened consistently on a yearly basis. Don't blame it on Covid when all the other groups did two comebacks last year in spite of it. Have a great day/night!

• THREAD OF THE YEAR!! ENDED AKP WHOLE CAREER! BYE GUYS, THE COMPETITION ENDED THE MOMENT OP SPILLED THE TEA IN OUR FACES!!!!

Anyways, i know people love to bring the BiG3 factor, but to me, BP success is unbelievable. They literally captivated so many people (they are the biggest international gg since DEBUT so yes) with their songs and charisma!!!!

They are amazing and i love how they cb stronger, prettier and with new sides! I love them!! <3<3<3<3 and bow down to the queens, the ww gg, the icons, the legendary BLACKPINK!

• THREAD OF THE YEAR!! ENDED AKP WHOLE CAREER! BYE GUYS, THE COMPETITION ENDED THE MOMENT OP SPILLED THE TEA IN OUR FACES!!!!

Anyways, i know people love to bring the BiG3 factor, but to me, BP success is unbelievable. They literally captivated so many people (they are the biggest international gg since DEBUT so yes) with their songs and charisma!!!!

They are amazing and i love how they cb stronger, prettier and with new sides! I love them!! <3<3<3<3 and bow down to the queens, the ww gg, the icons, the legendary BLACKPINK!

Big3 power I understand. If they had some success in Korea yes thats big3. But you can’t explain away how explosive they were in 2016 and how much they shot up internationally to just big3.

• Big3 power I understand. If they had some success in Korea yes thats big3. But you can’t explain away how explosive they were in 2016 and how much they shot up internationally to just big3.

Agreed. Besides, just because you are from the Big3 does not guarantee popularity, only makes it more likely. If it did guarantee popularity, BOYSTORY (a JYP boy group), would be SO much more popular than they currently are.

• Big3 power I understand. If they had some success in Korea yes thats big3. But you can’t explain away how explosive they were in 2016 and how much they shot up internationally to just big3.

Why are you choosing violence like this??? Spill more and make us "ugly cryiiiiiiing" (Rosé reference :pepe-hehe: )!!!!!!

Yes, their international success is crazy since debut and seeing how they are still the TOP1 backed by great numbers even on their hiatus years, i can say they have one of the most loyal fans and they are even more impressive for also having an extraordinary number of casual listeners. Powerful queens!

• I look at them fondly as the group that introduced me to kpop alongside RV. Really iconic. Although I don’t stan I do wish the individual members all the best as well, and check out what they put out. This year Lisa’s Money really left an impression on my playlist

they release music that’s very easy to enjoy :yesr:

• I used to think it was a strategy when I was a baby blink and wanted to give the company the benefit of the doubt, but now there's no denying that's the case. I hope they get treated better. The girls (Jennie and Jisoo specifically) even requested before to do two comebacks a year at least, yet it still hasn't happened consistently on a yearly basis. Don't blame it on Covid when all the other groups did two comebacks last year in spite of it. Have a great day/night!

They don't even know wtf they are doing, just look at their other groups. And BP already cleared all doubts about them only doing well due to hiatus in 2020. Sour candy, hylt, ice cream & the album in the span of 4 months.

I'm starting to think YG either don't care about music industry anymore or are sabotaging BP for their new girl group (imagine if they were THIS stupid, that would be a new low, doubt they are lucking out twice). That man should be thanking everyday those 4 girls went to his company

Yep, that Big 3 or Big 4 argument holds no water. There have been dozens of groups from the Big 4 over the past 20 years. Several of them have done better than BP in Korea and in certain specific Asian markets like Japan.

NONE of them have ever enjoyed such a swift, meteoric rise to Western success as Blackpink. They charted in the Hot 100 in under two years from debut with ZERO American promo. I know WG charted within two years as well but they had a thorough promotional campaign here. I dont think BP stepped foot in the US until after DDDD had charted in the Hot 100 in June of 2018 --> Can any long term Blink correct me if i'm wrong about this? I know they did some promo like months after DDDD released, appearing on a morning talk show in the US, but i dont remember them ever stepping foot here before then.

• This is an appreciation thread folks - let's keep it focused on that.

I do think the success story Blackpink is very impressive and think the girls themselves play a maior factor in this. Charisma is something that can't really be taught IMO. It is unique to that person and for BP, we have four charismatic individuals that came together to form a super group.

Now other things contributed of course along the way, but those girls even now are hard-carrying this - inspiring Blinks to stay because of their sheer charisma in the face of YG giving the bare minimum at every single turn.

• Yep, that Big 3 or Big 4 argument holds no water. There have been dozens of groups from the Big 4 over the past 20 years. Several of them have done better than BP in Korea and in certain specific Asian markets like Japan.

NONE of them have ever enjoyed such a swift, meteoric rise to Western success as Blackpink. They charted in the Hot 100 in under two years from debut with ZERO American promo. I know WG charted within two years as well but they had a thorough promotional campaign here. I dont think BP stepped foot in the US until after DDDD had charted in the Hot 100 in June of 2018 --> Can any long term Blink correct me if i'm wrong about this? I know they did some promo like months after DDDD released, appearing on a morning talk show in the US, but i dont remember them ever stepping foot here before then.

Me when I heard as if it’s your last play at target

625169D5-3689-482C-93F1-8F3E70EE0DF3.jpeg

• This thread contains 40 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!