'Snowdrop' staff reveals testimony over leaked script, actors, JTBC officials, and alleged "history distortion"

• 'Snowdrop' staff reveals testimony over leaked script, actors, JTBC officials, and alleged "history distortion"

AVvXsEjUgosReoUEzau8ClitwB3RjSqsAEO2ztIDKLaH95KbOcjPZcJn-ZYxk6POhDrCusbp0wXHP9cov6l8v9qB50ZQCcDuxFWBaxMuyN_dWdmG0qSegRSAqpYCMqt75jG5uLfFb2TeA6cnUEw9rrJzr-d_nx8RXm_gPnkKc7S1aOIlmd05l6Ymp136vfvXzg=s16000

Article: "This is a staff from the drama 'Seolganghwa'"

Source: Pann

Hello, I saw a place called Nate Pann on the internet a while ago, searched it and signed up today. I'm a staff member who participated in drama 'Seolganghwa (Snowdrop)' that's becoming a hot topic these days. My exact position? My name is Jo Bae-gun and I was the photographer in charge of the on-site photos. To put it simply, 99.9% of the official photos that come up if you search the drama are photos I took. Here is a sample of a photo I took [see above].

I was born in May of 1972...I'm 50. ㅠㅠ. I've been taking publicity photos since the early 2000s. As someone who takes photos at drama sites, I'm your so called "first generation" ^^; I'm ashamed to be a still-cut photographer for dramas still, but... maybe I'm the best because I'm the oldest? ^^;

AVvXsEi0bFjwJMF_b5JhfreQiFQuMyO1fwBrafz8UM2d67kv4d8k0DZpqxdrQSTw6YVP76J0hEpm8iFg-E4UtnboraLKH5mata4tKDkWu_rp-Ctu8rLmJfUH45efg1-IkIkUCB71x_i1gNPXpZizxqKgaPwIPV0mRyGERgZZbgPfzk2Jjo04y7wc4rYrPx1ifA=s16000

"As you all know, recently, Seolganghwa has been in controversy due to a lot of issues. I really don't like being in front of others because of my personality so I was a bit scared writing this. I worried about this for a few days, took a deep breath and started writing with a few letters. I writing this without advance consultation with family, friends, or any other person. I'm doing this on my own without coordination from anyone. I'm worried I'll get a call from the production company or JTBC officials right away. Even contrary to my intentions with this post, I worry that it might worsen public opinion and pour oil into the fire. I ask for your understanding and forgiveness in advance for deviating from the production company, JTBC officials and OTT contractor Disney+ officials, actors and staff.

"Lastly, I'm concerned that I may get sued over this. But I have no intention of avoiding any issues. I will 100% take responsibility if it becomes a problem legally.

Before I say anything, I'm an individual, all my comments are my personal opinions, not the official positions of 'Snowdrop' producers or officials. Also, I'd be really grateful if the 'Snowdrop' staff and related people could see this post and if there are any errors with my words, please let me know in the comments or contact me to help fix it.

-------------------------------------------------Leaked Script---------------------------------------------------------

On October 5th, last year, after the entire script was read at JTBC building in Sangnam-dong, the filming was going smoothly for more than one year.

AVvXsEi__F4VcjUJRzUQqmrefaHoYe91GKNFnyEA-zkHdU0JqGbWVuyEigdh7shWUIl_c1JlFYFSlZhAPgfArRtWEyvxekpGWq0SkAHv4HHWeLwyHYK_oImqUg9anzDsxIeejD5WdOZJ0wjU9u6gf-rMarfthkDTtOti8Sj4JI88wr8gkD2R5mKO2FG9lXxXOA=s16000

In March this year, the drama filming ended early after the 2nd episode following controversy over public petitions. Afterwards, articles using the title 'Seolganghwa' started pouring out. The leaked script's plot showed 1. a spy entering a female student dormitory and 2. Students in the 80s describing a security guard as "someone who's like a big brother. " Because of that, many feared it could viewed as a distortion of history that spies coordinated the democratization movement and Ministry of Security. A petition got posted to the Blue House to stop production that also received an answer.

At that time, I figured people misunderstood because they didn't know the contents of the drama because it hadn't aired yet. Even though the script leaked 7 or 8 times, nowhere in the script did it show the Ministry of Security was beautified or spies were involved in democratization movement. I also believed that all the misunderstandings will be resolved naturally when drama began airing.

--------------------------------------------History Distortion Scandal-----------------------------------------------

But the result was far from what I expected. As soon as it aired, a petition was posted on the Blue House again and various organizations and celebrities were expressing their concerns. The biggest reason against airing the drama was:

1. A spy was involved in the democratization movement;

2. Beautified the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications;

3. We denigrated the democratization movement, the June Uprising and 518 Democratic Uprising

AVvXsEjMYS7w3UMA2iorMS2RVG6dF6llzwSTdRNn024SOf_X9RBL-ufySxW1UMY5ADzJ7_7oKqFK3tH9SXGgzIXQ3VwH0WxK5QqUG7ADea8TZ2vfj_FgQ245ta2AX2MKfO0hL4Mqgm1MAlO4Fc0L7y5S8w-sEs94q3eCMXlJhZtvv0nTCi16nksNcj6vjjwkvA=s16000

However, I've read the script from Part 1-16 and I will tell you that regarding:

Issue 1. This drama isn't about the democratization movement. As you can see in the first episode, the student's protest scenes briefly appear in the background that shows the era. And nowhere in the script does espionage and democratization have anything to do with it. Therefore, claims that spies are involved in democratization movement is not true.

Issue 2: There is nothing that says or shows they tried to beautify the Ministry. Ahn Ki-bu is only focused on catching spies. He's just a stereotyped figure.

Issue 3: There is no such content anywhere in the script.

I'm not trying to trick you with clever lies. Really all those three issues are not true. I can understand the controversy but I simply can't sympathize with it.

From my point of view, 'Seolganghwa' is no different from a regular drama. A drama has to attract the attention of the viewers so there are a lot of dramatic and forced settings. Just like how dramas show love between a chaebol and the poor, or love between a top star or minor actor. That's why the main characters are a spy and college girl.

But viewers keep saying "that's not possible" and "that's not it" it becomes a problem.

--------------------------------------Opinion on History Distortion Claims---------------------------------------

Why not? Why is it problematic for a spy to meet a college student as the plot line for the drama? Is there any law in society that prohibits appearing in dramas?

I'm also a creator. Is there anything I'm not allowed to take photos for except hidden cameras that are illegal, etc. Usually the only person that tells me to take or not to take a photo of something is the writer because they're desperate over the situation. I'm desperate too.

This is my opinion, but there's something I want to tell you about this controversy. 'Freedom of expression' and 'Freedom of assembly' are very important and precious values in a democratic society. If anyone limits this freedom even in the slightest, I'll firmly oppose and fight it.

To exaggerate a little, for the creator, 'freedom of expression' is well worth risking your life for. No, actually, it's all of them.

As an older personㅠㅠ, I'm just sharing this old person views ㅋㅋ (sorry).

--------------------------------------Opinion on Malicious Comments--------------------------------------------

Everyone in the comment sections is freely cheering for presidential choice (in the drama, Code 1), but some people just like gossip. You're gossiping on your own regarding the top candidates for next year's election. This might come as a shock to you but it hasn't been long since you were able to do that. Before, I would be risking my life to tell you this loudly in public.

But right now, even if I swear out loud in public or in a group, no one would arrest me, police would protect me. Why? It might seem like nothing to you but a lot of people shed blood to get this freedom. A lot of people died and sacrifice. The freedom we enjoy today was achieved through great sacrifices.

But now a lot of people are demanding 'Snowdrop' is stopped from airing. Thats...honestly I really can't defend that from my point of view. The method is wrong.

In my opinion, a good democratic society (provided it doesn't violate the law) is one where creators can create confidently without restrictions. If creators are uncomfortable, you won't be able to watch or buy it comfortably either. It's an extremely dangerous idea to ask for something to completely disappear because it makes you uncomfortable.

'Seolganghwa' revealed everything is fictional from the beginning and concerns never once appeared. The drama doesn't demean students or provide sanctuary to the Ministry of Security.

That's why Seolganghwa must air to the end.

If you really hate the drama, I suggest you watch other dramas on other channels. Even if 'Snowdrop' viewership rating remains at 0.1%, it'll be successful because that is the only way to protect our precious 'freedom of expression' rights.

------------------------------------------Filming on Set (Hae-in & Jisoo)------------------------------------------

For that reason, please stop your criticism of protagonists Jung Hae-in and Kim Ji-soo. The two took on a difficult role and did their best until the very end.

Even during difficult scenes, they acted with a bright image without ever showing any hardship. I'm so upset as someone on the side watching that they're receiving unreasonable criticism when they deserve applause. If you watched how fiercely Hae-in and Jisoo worked during filming, you won't throw not even one stone at them.

You really don't know how much they suffered. Even as I'm writing this, I shed a lot of tears when I thought of Hae-in and Jisoo's sufferingㅠㅠ. Since today is Christmas, please say 'Merry Christmas' and share your warm thoughts and support.

[Originally, I posted a photo of Hae-in and Jisoo here but I deleted it out of fear it'll be abused]

• ------------------------------------------After filming stops (off set)-------------------------------------------------

After having a meal at lunch or dinner, when we get back together on site, everyone greeted each other politely.

"Have you eaten? Did you have a meal? Did you enjoy it?" They pss by saying hello one at a time (Everyone has to prepare for their scenes ^^;).

Hae-in didn't end with just "did you eat?" He would ask "what did you eat?" and ask about the menu. "It must've been delicious. Oh did you eat with the Director? Just a few more words like this. I was always grateful for that >.^

I always gave the good still cuts that I took to the actors and staff as gifts. I gave Hae-in and Jisoo several as a gift. On May 5th, I framed the photo below and delivered it directly to him at lunchtime.

AVvXsEhd9gZAF7-uZTF_Lep6l9y1NBbcsbDVohAbQ17kdxjDab17S7rpwvwYtwRTvq7Zeh15Gy76HqO32Cl-TiWvWdeTQk4nfeRkz_plz7hbBMVryk_pE59d865IcT1DDHY1A9qYtwZ2AuSE3m_xZP-FMi89oV5tiecymYU8vM9wl7yYBxV7gg68ERBVX4qd1w=s16000

[Originally, there was a screenshot of the message saved here saying Jung Hae-in's favorite actor~♥ (a message from Haein thanking me for the gift), but I deleted it due to concerns about abuse.]

Among all the people I gave gifts, Hae-in was the first person to contact me directly to my personal number. This might seem natural but in fact, it's not easy for top stars to expose their personal contact info to do this.

(Haein-ah, sorry for disclosing private messages like this without permission. ㅠㅠ )

Jisoo-nim is really pretty. Whenever we filmed I used the term '100 points!'. She shines really bright like 45kg diamonds, seriously she's a very bright person, believe me. On the last day of filming, Jisoo's manager gave me a gift.

Everyone, once again, please don't insult or criticize the actors. For me, reading the comments insulting the drama feels like a slap to my face. Can you imagine how severe and painful the wounds must be for the actors themselves that are getting attacked directly? The two are precious treasures of our culture, please let's practice commenting maturely.

PS: Hae-in, Jisoo if you're seeing this post, don't be hurt by the hate comments. We're on your side and are proud of you. We will support you to the end! Fighting!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On July 23rd (around 2:50am on the 24th to be exact), after the last filming in the studio, we all had a moment to say hello. Jung Hae-in shed tears while he was talking...the director also encouraged the staff and actors but he burst into tears and couldn't continue his speech.

I've filmed countless dramas but it's the first time I've seen a director do that. How hard Hae-in and the director must've suffered during that time?

Actually, to the director, 'Seolganghwa' is like his baby. Fortunately, after 9 months of filming, the baby was born healthy. How would you feel if people dug a hole and buried it alive?

AVvXsEhUMCNjaK5C2i-37xXNcmGOER4lBP-WZJUban-O7AL4M2ddc1P1LK0Lw_iIbCGvJ1vTrZhAYvhSoQf854uDoXVpcc-a4D6mhHRHHveAqi7O6shI4eU8pAni_AXXlTfSE4aH0pPmzMI7RVoFnlD6tOkyTuwu4Ec1D8ohx2XDm4ushN53-4vf0uRA_4HAXQ=w320-h85

1. [+566, -124] Such a lengthy post full of bullsh** ㅉㅉ
    2. [+385, -43] If the victim is coming out to say there's an issue then isn't it over..? What's definitely true is the fact that there's an issue with this drama.
    3. [+271, -21] There are a lot of dramas and movies that have aired in Korea under the theme of spies but look back on why only 'Seolganghwa' is problematic. The people that created an era where you can even curse the president are those who participated in democratization movement. You keep saying "rights obtained through blood are precious." Is it freedom of expression to glorify people and organizations that killed and tortured those who shed blood? Seolganghwa's message is "Ministry of Ministry is bad but the staff were just kids caught up in the times.." Your claims that this drama didn't beautify spies or Ministry while glorifying the protagonists who themselves created that difficult era are trash. Reflect on yourself first!!
    4. [+258, -22] ...Looks like JTBC and all the people involved don't seem to understand exactly why this drama is problematic..
    5. [+245, -17] You'd think at that age his brains would be a "rosy garden" of wise thoughts..
    6. [+167, -14] Ah, seeing as even a staff is writing such fiction, they must really not realize the issue with this drama. They will claim it's a rosy garden until the end...Wow
    7. [+161, -11] It's because you're beautifying Ministry of Security who were in charge as the one axis of power as a "spy catching agency" ...that's the issue!!!
    8. [+159, -10] So you were all awareㅇㅇ . You just poured two barrels of oil into the fire now
    9. [+100, -15] The fact that Ministry of Security left after being told to bring a warrant is beautification in itself ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
  • That was a great read and I agree directors can have freedom of creativity.

As long as it doesn't violate any law then people can suck it up and get over themselves.

And you’re also free to get criticized, dragged, and have you’re career ruined when trying to play in the face of actually national citizens or a very important topic.

Seems to me everyone involved deserves everything they’re getting.

• In my opinion, a good democratic society (provided it doesn't violate the law) is one where creators can create confidently without restrictions. If creators are uncomfortable, you won't be able to watch or buy it comfortably either. It's an extremely dangerous idea to ask for something to completely disappear because it makes you uncomfortable.

True

but my own country struggles with this a lot so i dont expect any better from korea

• the points explained are good

That extensive focus on jung haein lowkey makes me feel like some of this post is approved by his pr team lol

i cant deny whenever i read posts where some passerby/past employee is gushing over a celeb i cant help but feel its orchestrated.

but yeah they should be free to release the drama. and people should be free to criticize.

• I also think they should be able to release, but also they need to endure the criticism and not cry about not understanding where it’s coming from. It sucks because he did his part flawlessly (the photography quality is top notch).

• I'm not surprised he deleted the post, that whole statement seems like a PR move meant for damage control.

It's probably very hard for Koreans to believe anything JTBC says since every new episode adds more fuel to the fire

• I'm not surprised he deleted the post, that whole statement seems like a PR move meant for damage control.

It's probably very hard for Koreans to believe anything JTBC says since every new episode adds more fuel to the fire

especially when his defense of Snowdrop was basically

"In 'Seolganghwa', we don't demean the activist students at all, but can we do the opposite? Even if we allow the deviance of the military, the other side of the activist students? Is it a society that cannot tolerate such a thing? Even imagining it?"

• lol you can't reason with herd mentality

that's why we shouldn't give a fuck about knet said :pepe-use-head:

also you can see some people here adopt the same mentality :angryr:

• I hope they keep airing it if only to piss everyone off

Totally. It's not even about Jisoo for me anymore. She'll be fine, set for life already. I just hate seeing censorship fueled by hate mobs win, regardless of who they target. I defended Yoongi against the genocide accusations due to his Jimmy James samples ffs. Knetz, Inetz, everyone just loves to hop on manufactured drama and scandals to drive home the "outrage".

I hope the drama gets like 124 sequels lol.

• Totally. It's not even about Jisoo for me anymore. She'll be fine, set for life already. I just hate seeing censorship fueled by hate mobs win, regardless of who they target. I defended Yoongi against the genocide accusations due to his Jimmy James samples ffs. Knetz, Inetz, everyone just loves to hop on manufactured drama and scandals to drive home the "outrage".

I hope the drama gets like 124 sequels lol.

I simply just thrive off negativity

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!