What do you think about the amount of abelist remarks used in kpop fanwars?

• There's a lot of abelist language thrown around on a daily here whenever we get into fanwars.

The sentences maybe you should seek a therapist or you have a mental illness are pretty standard for fanwars among others.

How often do you come across such remarks in fanwars? Do you make a conscious effort to avoid these remarks yourself? Do you think these remarks are fine and the snowflakes need to stop putting their standards on everyone else? :/:/

• Well... I try to make an effort most of the time not to use words that might be considered ableist.

Like if I think someone is "as smart as a blonde from those jokes about blondes", I use the word "unclever" most of the times.

Even though I used the word "stupid" and "fool" in one thread. (but I'm not sure whether or not those words are ableist)

But I don't think I get into fanwars.

I remember when I heard that someone used the word "autistic" as an insult to talk about someone from one of my favourite groups.

And I strongly dislike when people use that word as an insult.

• Depends on what you would call "Ableist statements"....

If it's something like "Delulu, Crazy, Dumb, Out of your mind, Stupid".... Then People are very oversensitive.

If it's something like "Go to a therapist, You have a mental illness" then yeah it's a little concerning.

I may have used that language in past... Before I knew it was ableist. I am making conscious effort not to use it or even think of it moving forward.

I've seen it countless times in fanwars. These statements get thrown around like it's nothing.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• I think the blonde one is stereotype and not abelist.

I'm not sure about the words stupid either but I've read that stupid is abelist.

Those are the worst case scenarios honestly and even they are more common that we think. It's a little sad to see.

I've used such remarks a lot too not just in fanwars but irl too. My dad calls me out a lot and asks me to just use the word silly instead.

I'm also trying to replace words like 'crazy' or 'insane' with let's say ridiculous. But it gets a little tough because of how normalized the language is so I don't even realize it

• I dont know if the following phrases are considered abelist but we often use phrases like 'xxxx brain something wrong' or like 'you siao ah' (siao means crazy).

I think the brain one would be considered abelist :nervousk:

• It does bother me a lot when I see people using mental illness as a drag or a punchline. It’s very common on twitter (and not only kpop twitter) and it’s gross.

• I think the more prevalent ones are about sight and hearing. How often do you see people tell each other there must be something wrong with their ears if they enjoy/dislike a certain song? Very often I bet.

These remarks might not seem serious to many of us but there might be people around (here in the forum I mean or any fan space where these remarks are often used) with actual hearing and sight problems and I don't think it'd be pleasant for them to see their disabilities and medical conditions used as common insults to put others down.

• It's like real common in my country, sometimes in Chinese 你头脑坏 or even in hokkien.

Or 'you never use brain is it?' I think it's been used so often that no one really cares or bother to point it out

These phrases are very normalized In my country too.

But from what I observed on akp the ones mocking mental health are so common too. Maybe it's because we are in an online forum and we don't tend to think much about it but the amount of times I've seen this meme on here :facepalm:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVlkdhb1mdvlXTuhzwZeDSLT9GODlDVsa7ZQ&usqp=CAU

• I think the more prevalent ones are about sight and hearing. How often do you see people tell each other there must be something wrong with their ears if they enjoy/dislike a certain song? Very often I bet.

These remarks might not seem serious to many of us but there might be people around (here in the forum I mean or any fan space where these remarks are often used) with actual hearing and sight problems and I don't think it'd be pleasant for them to see their disabilities and medical conditions used as common insults to put others down.

Are you blind or deaf are definitely among the most common ones used here.

Even when we are joking with each other like when we call people tasteless when discussing songs or visuals let's say, these come out a lot.

• the question is what is considered an abelist term differs with the user and the country/culture they were raised in no?

like every idol for example uses the word pabo which jokingly can be fool or stupid I guess...

but they are words like crazy, braindead, dumb, insane which may or may not be I guess

then there are words like autistic (as an insult) or retarded which I think everyone can agree shouldn't be used

• Personally don't find terms like stupid or crazy albeist since it's often used more broadly.

The ones were people go 'seek help/a therapist' or 'you are mentally ill' do bother me though. They are often used both here and on twitter.

• I think @superyeh said it in their response what I wanted to say the most. Things like pabo as you mentioned are more regularly used even in my country we have different words or phrases for it.

But in kpop communities like on akp, things like mental health and even braindead are used so commonly that it appalls me so many times. Aren't these also some things everyone should agree are abelist terms?

• People are ableist without realizing so. We shouldn't wait for social movements to dictate what is normalized and what is taboo.

In a way, using phrases such as "See a therapist" or "You're mentally ill" is even worse than the usual name-calling (idiot, stupid, etc.) because it equivocates therapy with something to be ashamed of. E

Exactly. I should've mentioned specifically what I'm not talking about in my OP- usual name-calling with words like stupid and idiot.

Because I wanted to focus on the normalized usage of mentally ill, blind, deaf as insults more.

• I think @superyeh said it in their response what I wanted to say the most. Things like pabo as you mentioned are more regularly used even in my country we have different words or phrases for it.

But in kpop communities like on akp, things like mental health and even braindead are used so commonly that it appalls me so many times. Aren't these also some things everyone should agree are abelist terms?

to me a lot of the times it comes down to how one communicates ... either in person or online...

like the art of having an actual discussion...for me the purpose isn't to "win" the argument or whatever but to better understand the other person's perspective...

if one comes to a forum with that mindset to better understand why a person says the things they say instead of getting defensive or whatever then those terms never have to be used to begin with...

like let's say someone says X idol is a better singer than Y idol and Y idol was one of my favs - it's so much easier to reply DELUSIONAL than go into a proper discussion...

I still remember in primary school (elementary school) we were taught about the 5 Ws - where, why, what, who and how...and I still use it when I need to...asking a simple why do you think X is better...

if we can focus more on the discussion and how to discuss I'm sure it will reduce a lot of the negative terms used regardless of whether they are abelist or otherwise...but that my friend is much harder and it's much easier to just go...OMG you're so [insert random insult here]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!