[Discourse] Can a group survive and succeed...

• hypothetical scenario incoming.....

I just had this thought :-

Let's say a group just debuted, with exceptional music (A mini album of 6 songs) (something unique, never done before and it is "critically acclaimed")

Members are all good visuals.... Charisma is over flowing.... Great stage presence... Exceptional in rapping and singing....self-producing (to the extreme).....

The leader does a V-live talking about the album and etc and during one of the songs the topic about fantasy and delusion....

He says this :-

"We are not your boyfriends, we will never be... We are musicians, Don't let your imagination take over. Stay here for music, otherwise there are plenty of other idol groups to satisfy your fantasies"

or something along the lines.... Maybe not the exact last line... Because that would count as shading etc....Let's just ignore that line...

What do you think the general reception will be of that statement and towards the group after the livestream among all of the KPOP fandoms?

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• They could be successful, but they wouldn't be as successful as a similar group that is willing to play into the emotional needs triggers of a fandom. Most kpop fans will say that it doesn't matter, but some of the most motivated fans are the delusional ones and they drive sales, streams, and engagement.

• Most people will agree with them.

I think people really overestimate the among of delulu fans. It might matter for nugu groups, or groups that didn't debut yet, or group with a very specific concept yet etc... but MOST people know that they will never date their idols.

If the music is really as good as you say, that's enough to keep enough fans to thrive

• They could be successful, but they wouldn't be as successful as a similar group that is willing to play into the emotional needs triggers of a fandom. Most kpop fans will say that it doesn't matter, but some of the most motivated fans are the delusional ones and they drive sales, streams, and engagement.

Damn.... I mean, Yeah true. But still....

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Most people will agree with them.

I think people really overestimate the among of delulu fans. It might matter for nugu groups, or groups that didn't debut yet, or group with a very specific concept yet etc... but MOST people know that they will never date their idols.

If the music is really as good as you say, that's enough to keep enough fans to thrive

Hello, Long time no see....

Also, I think amount of those type of fans is huge especially when the group just debuted.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• They can be successful, but will be less successful than those who play into those fantasies. They know, you’re more loyal and dedicated if you think your faves love you as much as you love them …..

Nevertheless, this won’t stop some fans to fantasize anyway, even a public relationship of their fave won’t make them stop their delusion.

• They can be successful, but will be less successful than those who play into those fantasies. They know, you’re more loyal and dedicated if you think your faves love you as much as you love them …..

Nevertheless, this won’t stop some fans to fantasize anyway, even a public relationship of their fave won’t make them stop their delusion.

Yeah true.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• I think a group that doesn't engage with the usual non-musical idol stuff (fanservice, vlives, varieties etc.) could still find success. Maybe not as much as they could have otherwise, but still very respectably successful.

However, explicitly saying, "I am not your boyfriend" or whatever will be taken entirely the wrong way. Not necessarily because people object to the principal, but because it was spoken aloud, and that makes them seem "snobbish" or whatever.

People don't like celebrities saying... Well, anything, really. PR training is basically: "Don't have any opinions, smile, be polite, thank your fans". Because anything more than that and people get all pissed off.

• I think a group that doesn't engage with the usual non-musical idol stuff (fanservice, vlives, varieties etc.) could still find success. Maybe not as much as they could have otherwise, but still very respectably successful.

However, explicitly saying, "I am not your boyfriend" or whatever will be taken entirely the wrong way. Not necessarily because people object to the principal, but because it was spoken aloud, and that makes them seem "snobbish" or whatever.

People don't like celebrities saying... Well, anything, really. PR training is basically: "Don't have any opinions, smile, be polite, thank your fans". Because anything more than that and people get all pissed off.

I think I agree and also that's very cruel thing...

So fans like people who are basically puppets...

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• This wouldn’t stop the delulu fans from shipping themselves with them but I think they would also get heat from knetz.

For idol groups the fan service is part of their “job description “. It has been since the beginning. I’m sure they would get people who would say “Then why are you an idol group? “ “So cold” or “Rude” or something along the lines.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!