Kpop GGs lowkey look like they have “boy group privileges” nowadays

• Where they don’t need to rely on the GP to keep them afloat and can survive just fine off of a fandom

And tbh I’m here for that. I always thought it sucked how if they didn’t have the GP backing them up, then they were basically fucked

Now even if a girl group isn’t in Melon top 100, they could still sell 40-50k+ (Dreamcatcher, Purple Kiss, Fromis_9, etc), even 100k+ (Loona) and sell tickets with no issue

Of course it’s still important for any group to have both, but it is nice to know that they could have one & still be ok despite not having the other

• Lubby00

Changed the title of the thread from “Kpop GGs look like they have boy group privileges nowadays” to “Kpop GGs lowkey look like they have “boy group privileges” nowadays”.
  • Top BGs lmbo, the smallest tier BG to ever sell (near) 1M is The Boyz I think

I mean many bg is very close to that 1m mark.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The #1 GG is behind the #10 BG :pepe-life-support:

• People are missing the point.

It's not that they are selling the same numbers as boy groups. OP isn't comparing them in that way.

She's saying that like boy groups, some girl groups are not so reliant on public support. Historically, a hallmark that most girl groups did not enjoy.

• Yes I'm all for that too, it will give lesser known GG more lifespan and more years of content, which is awesome

All my fav 2nd gen groups decreased activity after like 4-5 years which is sad

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

It's not that they are selling the same numbers as boy groups. OP isn't comparing them in that way.

She's saying that like boy groups, some girl groups are not so reliant on public support. Historically, a hallmark that most girl groups did not enjoy.

Thx a lot for getting the point

Like you said, it was something GGs couldn’t really have but now do. Even with low GP support, they could still have enough of a fandom that buys their albums to stay afloat

You beat me to it!

I thought it was pretty clear from the OP and honestly, I think it's a great thing too. People have played the no GP card a lot, but I think fandom trumps GP in any scenario that has longevity.

• Yep physical sales grew across the board since 2017. That boom didn't help "one particular group" or "one specific company" or "only boy groups" or "only girl groups" or "only big 3 groups". It had an impact across the industry which can be easily seen.

What started as "western validation" ended up being the biggest reason why kpop is big today.

• Yep like,100k won't help those gg much as good as it seem

Realisitcaly to earn from physical sells a group need to ear from 500k and above bc the cost of production is just too much. Also the groups that sell 300k and above are all from big companies so it's not like they are in a situation where the company depende just of them (itsy, RV, twice, BP, aespa)

• They still sell way less albums than bgs but I'm happy because album sales are where most artists make money beyond concerts and cfs(which they may not get much of in some cases), so it keeps the groups in the industry longer(Dreamcatcher is a key example as they're just Minx revamped with a different sound and new members).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!