In defense of aespa's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade performance...

• Also FWIW the general population is watching for the floats, not the musical performances unless it’s someone famous and even then it’s a 1 minute lip synced performance (everyone lip syncs on the parade - it’s cold and loud and they want the sound to be perfect during that 1 minute the float stops and someone sings.) No one takes this thing that seriously as some example of artistic merit. 😆 It’s kitschy and nostalgic and something your parents or your kids watch.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Also for what it's worth... this parade appearance did exactly what was intended... which was get people to hear the name aespa and associate it with kpop in the US. That's it.

This isn't an award show were people actually sit down and watch it continuously. This parade is typically on in the living room for the kids and the grandparents while everyone else is preparing dinner. It's always wild to me to see news articles about the ratings for the parade because I'm willing to bet that at least 60% of the people tuning in are just using it for background noise until football starts.

When you talk kpop in the US there are only a handful of visible, name recognized groups and an even smaller percentage of those are girl groups. The fact that people at the parade were googling "who is aespa" is the win. It may seem like it's too early to push them in the US, but there's a massive gap right now in the US where the only female kpop act making any noise prior to this year is Blackpink.

• Also FWIW the general population is watching for the floats, not the musical performances unless it’s someone famous and even then it’s a 1 minute lip synced performance (everyone lip syncs on the parade - it’s cold and loud and they want the sound to be perfect during that 1 minute the float stops and someone sings.) No one takes this thing that seriously as some example of artistic merit. 😆 It’s kitschy and nostalgic and something your parents or your kids watch.

Floats? Only the Macys turkey, the Sesame Street float, and Santa... you know it's all about them balloons. :love::love:

• Floats? Only the Macys turkey, the Sesame Street float, and Santa... you know it's all about them balloons. :love::love:

I figured it was easier to explain to people that way, but yes, the balloons. It wasn’t Thanksgiving until Snoopy showed up, amirite? :pepefrog:

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I didn't realize there was some big controversy over it. I didn't watch the parade, but parade performances in general are pretty awkward especially ones in cold temps with bad set ups. I wouldn't blame a performer for being awkward in that situation and a lot of the US parade audience is not really gonna be paying that much attention anyway unless it's an artist they're already interested in.

• I figured it was easier to explain to people that way, but yes, the balloons. It wasn’t Thanksgiving until Snoopy showed up, amirite? :pepefrog:

fr fr once you saw Snoopy and Big Bird... it was pretty much over until Santa showed up.

• Honestly, it would have been 1000x better if they were just able to live sing holiday songs and be all dressed up in fashionable warm clothes...

• I have mad respect for RV for performing with that kind of audience.. how scary was it?!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!