Am I the only one who feels like there's more of an a escapism appeal when it comes to Kpop?

• Whenever I listen to Kpop on Spotify or watch something Kpop related I feel like I can escape my life for hours like I could be able to when i was a kid with Western Pop, with how depressing Western pop is right now I can't get that same feeling.

I'm always down a rabbit hole with Kpop especially when it comes to ggs.

• yeah i think western pop trend is to be “real” nowadays so i feels more depressing. kpop is designed to be entertaining with the visuals, dancing,… which western pop has moved on from since it doesn’t feel “real” enough.

• yeah i think western pop trend is to be “real” nowadays so i feels more depressing. kpop is designed to be entertaining with the visuals, dancing,… which western pop has moved on from since it doesn’t feel “real” enough.

we need more pure pop songs like TWICE's The Feels

• Whenever I listen to Kpop on Spotify or watch something Kpop related I feel like I can escape my life for hours like I could be able to when i was a kid with Western Pop, with how depressing Western pop is right now I can't get that same feeling.

I'm always down a rabbit hole with Kpop especially when it comes to ggs.

KPop originally originated from the shows performed to American troops in Korea. What happened is American musicians performed the shows for the soldiers at first, but as the Vietnam War began, they went to Vietnam and Korean musicians filled the gap.

The Korean musicians learned the American way of Pop but since their primary job was to entertain the soldiers it always had the escapisim feel. These musicians began to produce music for the Koreans, but since life was kinda harsh in the 1960s and 70s they continued the ethos of escapism in Korean music and it has stuck to this day.

Which is how Kpop gains the comparative advantage. If Korean Pop is the same as normal pop who will want to hear it

• KPop originally originated from the shows performed to American troops in Korea. What happened is American musicians performed the shows for the soldiers at first, but as the Vietnam War began, they went to Vietnam and Korean musicians filled the gap.

The Korean musicians learned the American way of Pop but since their primary job was to entertain the soldiers it always had the escapisim feel. These musicians began to produce music for the Koreans, but since life was kinda harsh in the 1960s and 70s they continued the ethos of escapism in Korean music and it has stuck to this day.

This seems plausible but coming from you I'm skeptical.

• I listened to K-pop analyses by classical musicians. I did not know K-pop was that deep and I thought the lyric was negligible as it was non-sensical. In S.M's music especially, the music and the lyric went hand in hand.

For examples;

Psycho by Red Velvet was a song about toxic relationship that going nowhere and, The first bar used same notes to the last bar (but in different order). This reflected the relationship was a circle, going back to the start. The last line of the lyric was "I'm ok" but the chord of the music in the top line clashed with the chord of the music in the bottom line meaning it was not truly "ok". The music overall was pretty chaotic and all over the place adhering to the lyric of messy relationship.

Next Level by Aespa was a song about the adventure of real women into digital world to free their virtual selves trapped in Kwangya. This was a refreshing type of lyric. Usually, the lyric talked about real life experiences/feeling. Tale-telling type of lyric was very rare and distinguished. The lyric talked about different worlds and the music (the key/rhythm) changed whenever the lyric talking about a different world.

• Personally I like kpop because it’s fun and we don’t get bored easily.

Most of my fav western artists are inactive or don’t bother to promote their music so I have nothing to look at out

However I don’t listen too much kpop there is only 5 kpop artists in my playlist and some random kpop songs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!