At what age do Korean actors usually peak?

• My favourite actress is Kim So-hyun. She is currently 21. I think her peak is yet to come. Also my fave is Hye-in Jeong. She is 30 right now. She hasn't gotten any big role yet. She is very underrated. Idk why. She is amazing actress and very pretty. If people will recognize her she might peak late 30. Isn't she the most pretty actress ever?

Hye-in Jeong

• Lee Minho peaked with The Heirs, it was arguably his biggest hit in both Korea and internationally. I think he was around 25-26 at that time so mid twenties for him.

On a side note, Korean dramas are getting more popular globally, so internationally I think actors repeak with every other drama, Take Suzy as an example, Vagabond was her biggest hit internationally before Start Up came along.

• I can't pinpoint their precise peak. One of my faves actresses is Son Ye Jin. She rose to fame in the early 2000s, become more popular after that. She gets slow down in the mid-2010s as she only acts in the movie, yet she still gets critical acclaim for her role in the movie. In the late 2010s, everyone knows she doing a very good job after return to television series through Something in Rain & CLOY

• It depends on the type of actor category and kdrama type in my mind.

For leads in kdramas targeted to the youth market it's generally 20s. Less prominently 30s. (The primary youth market, think Hiers, Crash Landing On You Types)

For leads in kdramas marketed to the older market it can be 30s, 40s (Family dramas and older oriented fare)

For character actors and many villian types it often can be 30s, 40s, 50s, even 60s. (Think of many of the great old men villians in so many kdramas).

Edited 2 times, last by emanresu ().

• Many can be a bit short lived and peaked around 25, as one of my old favortite Yoon Eun Hye that "peaked" around 25. Mostly they are the ones that mostly do romantic dramas and youth dramas. They are also the kind actores/actresses that maybe had one or two hit dramas that made them popular, but after doing some more dramas the hype around them dies down.

Than you have high quality acresses like Ha Ji Won and Jun Ji Hyun that can go on beyond and still being strong. But for acresses the visuals maybe are a bit more important than for actors, so most peak before 35 anyway.

• Lee Minho peaked with The Heirs, it was arguably his biggest hit in both Korea and internationally. I think he was around 25-26 at that time so mid twenties for him.

On a side note, Korean dramas are getting more popular globally, so internationally I think actors repeak with every other drama, Take Suzy as an example, Vagabond was her biggest hit internationally before Start Up came along.

Lee Min Ho peaked with Boys Over Flowers when he was in his early 20s. He had 2 more hit dramas before Heirs.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Looking at your favourite actors and actresses as well as the most recognized ones, at what age were they at their peak in terms of success? Late 20s? Mid 30s? Examples would be nice

It depends on the actor, their role and genre of the drama.

For example, Yoona peaked with her first drama in her late teens/early twenties and she's still doing well.

But mostly, a few child actors peak early and most actors and actresses peak in their twenties and thirties.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!