Has K-pop surpassed US/western pop music?

• Lately I've slowly come to realise that the US have lost their way in several ways, and 1 of those seems to be pop music.

1 of the signs is how American/western pop music industry seems to have completely abandoned groups in favor of solo artists.

The number of American groups (not bands w guitarist, drummer etc btw, that's different) of the past 1-2 decades is a mere handful, and other big pop music countries in the west like the UK aren't any different.

But by doing this, they've also closed themselves off from the advantages, strengths and positive influences that groups can bring into a pop music scene: like bigger, more engaged fanbases due to more stan attractors, more content due to more activities and recordings of the various members, advanced choreo, vocal ensembles, group harmonisations etc.

And it's not just groups that the American pop music industry has abandoned: K-pop MV's also seem to have a higher production value and production quality, more creativity and more variety going for them than American MV's. Overall it feels there's more attention, inspiration and care invested in K-pop MV's than what's common for American MV's.

It's as if American music companies decided en masse somewhere in the past that it's just not worth the bother, money and trouble to invest in MV's, in quality production and/or the pop music scene in general.

Because when I look at American MV's of the '80s and '90s (I went on sort of a historical pop music binge a while ago), then I feel like that quality, that inspiration, creativity and variety and most of all, that energy, really is there. Far more than in American MV's and pop music of the past years.

Nowadays, it feels like that energy and drive can be found in pop music of other (non-US/UK) countries that seem to catch up to and surpass a regressing American pop music scene, like how K-pop is thriving.

But those are of course just my impressions.

So how do you feel about contemporary American pop music compared to American pop music scene of the past and emerging, growing pop music scenes like K-pop?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• French music should being popular like kpop

There re soloists yseult ,Christine and the queens ,Angèle, Stromae,Eddy pretto,louane,gims..etc

Band group:Indochine

The quality musical is freaking amazing

So free and emotion

• Not even close. Kpop is looked at as a joke.

Are you saying that American pop music of the past couple of years is that outstanding? ?(

simon didnt create one direction #2 lol

Btw looks like american citizens are tired of boybands even kpop is not that popular to say it surpassed ...

K-pop, or any pop music from countries outside of the US with the exception of the UK and the occasional Latin artist, has never been popular among Americans. It's already a miracle that BTS and by extension some other K-pop groups have caught the eye of the American people.

I was more referring to quality, diversity and appeal of American pop music compared to K-pop.

The past 1-2 years, I've hardly been impressed or awed by American pop music MV's. I have been amazed by quite some K-pop MV's in the same timeperiod.

High production quality of K-pop MV's is often mentioned by viewers who up till then were only used to American MV's.

K-pop is growing. American pop music and the pop music scene feels like it's stagnating.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I feel like Kpop MVs have really dropped in quality from a few years ago.

The quality overall just seems to have dropped in general for me and they all seem to be chasing that Western sound so they can chart in the West.

If anything the indie and on some scale hiphop/rap (honestly not big into this genre so idk fully) seems to be making a bigger comeback in the West atm.

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]

[MEDIA=twitter]1069331625371148290[/MEDIA]

[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

• French music should being popular like kpop

There re soloists yseult ,Christine and the queens ,Angèle, Stromae,Eddy pretto,louane,gims..etc

Band group:Indochine

The quality musical is freaking amazing

So free and emotion

I've watched and listened to some French songs and MV's that I found amazing. But I agree, outside of France I doubt French pop music is that well known.

SWJ1P.gif

• By that method or diversity and quality wise yes they did

• Are you saying that American pop music of the past couple of years is that outstanding? ?(

Ehhh...people say that the music is bad in whatever time they’re living in.

My grandparents said when they were young everyone was saying that The Beatles and ‘60s music was bad. It’s looked at as absolutely legendary today.

Same with ‘80s pop music, etc.

ღ Sulli

• American music is still more influenctial. I think there is more intentional thought, and expectations, put into concepts when it comes to K-Pop MVs compared to western music videos. More people seem to talk about comeback concepts more often in K-Pop compared to American Pop.

If the industry sucked so bad that opportunties overseas began to look so attractive that the most creative people and communities decided to move permanently overseas, then a noticable shift in influence would happen.

• Ehhh...people say that the music is bad in whatever time they’re living in.

My grandparents said when they were young everyone was saying that The Beatles and ‘60s music was bad. It’s looked at as absolutely legendary today.

Same with ‘80s pop music, etc.

Exactly! I was a teenager in the 80’s and the music is just as popular now as it was then. Some of the rockers of that era are still playing to packed houses. K pop and 80’s is the only music I really listen to nowadays.

• Taylor Swift - Adele - Ed Sheeran

are the big 3 that changed the pop stars from being what we knew them as, Brit spears, x-tina, justin t, etc etc into what it is now.

Which is this obsession with "authenticity" Everyone now has to be a singer-songwriter, every album has to be super personnel, etc etc

and boybands/girl groups just dont fit into that mold

• No

The creativity in the west (America) exceeds that of kpop.

Kpop is VERY formulaic, all the videos follow the same trend, and production style. However there a few groups that switch it up!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Western pop has devolved from its peak in the 80s. There is no talent on display, just people standing around strutting, posing, mumbling into a mic with autotune blazing. It takes talent and hard work to do Kpop synchronized choreo, these lazy Western stars wouldnt last a week as trainees lol.

Back in the 80s, we had stars with real talents, people were meaningfully involved in their music. We had living legends like MJ, Prince, Springsteen, U2, Michael, Houston, Collins, Queen, etc.

Nowadays everything is manufactured, every mumble rapper, every RnB riff, it's all the same.

Drivers License by Rodrigo.

Anyone by Justin Bieber.

Beautiful Stranger by Halsey.

That's it when it comes to Western pop the past year or so.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!