[Hot take] Love Yourself: HER and Dynamite are the only true cultural resets for K-pop worldwide since Gangnam Style.

• Disclaimer: I'm not talking about within Korea only, that's a whole different discussion. I'm talking domestically and internationally.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dynamite is the biggest global hit for a K-pop act since Gangnam Style and is not slowing down any time soon. It truly opened new doors for BTS and K-pop as a whole (Grammys, need I say more?); and showed that English releases could be truly lucrative after a multitude of attempts since early 2nd gen. It's also one of the biggest hits in Korea of the last decade...

LY: HER is the reset button for 3rd gen. I believe that 4th gen started in 2018 because of this album and its impact on the K-pop industry as a whole. It showed that international expansion was key to conquering the market, and acts that debuted in 2018 or later signed to American labels while still rookies.

To this day, not a single non-BTS album has outsold LY: HER on Gaon; HER is over 4 years old now. And other things it accomplished:

• first K-pop album to chart top ten on BB200
    • highest peaking K-pop song on BB Hot 100 at the time
    • first album to sell 1 million pure copies in 16 years
    • 2 smash hit singles internationally (DNA and Mic Drop Remix), and a b-side that went viral (Go Go has multiple stages on YT with over 100M views)
    • DNA's MV went viral on YouTube (1.3B+ views today)
    • DNA was a smash in Korea too, has ULs on par with "national hits" but is often ignored by other K-pop fans.

Discuss respectfully in the replies, otherwise I will report you.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I would say that LY : HER is indeed a cultural reset.

Dynamite is more a industry reset to me.

If that makes sense. I don't think it changes a lot of things about the sound of kpop. But it sure did shift a lot of stuff in the kpop industry, and even the western/global industry.

• I would say that LY : HER is indeed a cultural reset.

Dynamite is more a industry reset to me.

If that makes sense. I don't think it changes a lot of things about the sound of kpop. But it sure did shift a lot of stuff in the kpop industry, and even the western/global industry.

The way K-pop fans use "cultural reset" as a term, to me they're interchangeable. Not in literal definition, but in the implication that things changed after a particular release.

If people weren't on board with BTS being IT after Wings, HER was the nail in the coffin.

Also DNA wasn't doing anything different sonically, EDM was already running rampant by like 2010 in K-pop. But BTS did it in a way that resonated with the most people.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• i want to say d4 too but i know it'll be shot down

but really, it was something big for kpop girl groups, and also it spawned the edm based music that a lot of people seem to hate, among girl groups.

i'd like to say that the solo artist was psy, boy group bts, and girl group blackpink.

yeah but bts is definitely the biggest of the three by a good bit (even if gs was the biggest song of all of em)

i also nominate baby shark but thats another convo-

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• So that's why I get Deja vu whenever I watch DNA mv. I probably watched it way before I became an army.

• I refuse to put my brother's fav nursery rhyme as the most famous kpop song.

• Baby Shark is totally separate from this talk lol, the original song isn't in Korean. Pinkfong just made it uber popular.

An argument can be made for D4 and I know some of what it is has accomplished, but I agree. It would get shot down on this forum.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Baby Shark is totally separate from this talk lol, the original song isn't in Korean. Pinkfong just made it uber popular.

An argument can be made for D4 and I know some of what it is has accomplished, but I agree. It would get shot down on this forum.

this forum isnt ready to accept blackpink's hotness just yet istg

ill keep simping for jennie in the corner tho

• DDDD pushed BP to the stardom, it was the longest charting KPOP gg song broke Youtube records.

When people thought BP were over How You Like That broke every records in Korea and internationally it’s a smash hit

My only question for you was did either of those songs change how K-pop operated as a whole, not just influencing girl groups? Because LY: HER and Dynamite have shown that. Also you limited BP's reach yourself by specifying that they broke a girl group record, not overall.

The only overall records BP have (to my knowledge) both belong to D4: being the song with the highest weekly Gaon digital point gain and the most viewed K-pop group MV.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The roll out that BTS had in late 2017.... with LY Her/DNA than the AMA's than the drop of the Mic Drop Steve Aoki Remix, caused one of the biggest moments in not only BTS's but kpop growth WW... The exposure both DNA and Mic Drop caused Kpop to have was insane, the best part it showed two sides, the more hip hop side and the more pop side. A perfect way to capture a wide variety of fans.

There is also a reason korean acts started to change their release times to Friday's after BTS did it with LY Tear. Many weren't willing to change it since it affects Korean charting (given it only gives around 3 days of first week charting in korea). LY Her also remains to be the 3rd longest charting Korean Album on the BB200 only behind 2 other BTS albums (LY Answer and MOTS 7). A true cultural reset.

that LY Era in general (which started with Her as the catalyst since it was actually the first kpop album to be distributed in US stores), is probably the most impactful era in Kpop History.

Also I agree with amalyas talk about how Dynamite was more than just a kpop cultural reset. I think it was probably the moment in the global music industry that people saw BTS as one of if not the biggest artist worldwide (and also as a proper threat to the biggest western artists), it changed a ton (both good in terms of exposure for BTS and Kpop and bad due to jealous and xenophobic industry players). Dynamite is probably a moment that will be hard to see again.

It was a feeling of a proper breakthrough imo, and what solidified it's impact was the ability to build off of it with Butter and giving other groups and their teams the confidence to try a proper English single and in some cases proving to be worth it for example Twice scoring their first hot 100 entry.

• can you list some of those for me to copy paste?

i know a particularly terrible anti who thinks i'll curse bts with them because im a blackpink stan-

I'd say for example. LY her essentially was the first kpop album to be properly stocked in US stores (thanks to ARMYs demanding BH and Stores to stock them there). This obviously would benefit the rest of kpop by showing these stores that it's worth it to stock Kpop albums. Thus influecing the rest of kpop, by allowing western fans more access to kpop albums.

• D4 and Square up era in general? First kpop group song to reach 1 billion (and prob to 2b soon) sounds pretty groundbreaking to me. Forever young the biggest album track in korea until dolphin. Maybe it wasnt for you that mostly care about bts but it was for sure a cultural reset in the kpop industry, way ahead of what some people refer to as such these days

• I'd say for example. LY her essentially was the first kpop album to be properly stocked in US stores (thanks to ARMYs demanding BH and Stores to stock them there). This obviously would benefit the rest of kpop by showing these stores that it's worth it to stock Kpop albums. Thus influecing the rest of kpop, by allowing western fans more access to kpop albums.

oh my

now thats a good one wow

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This Version Of DNA leaves me absolutely speechless

• Also I agree with amalyas talk about how Dynamite was more than just a kpop cultural reset. I think it was probably the moment in the global music industry that people saw BTS as one of if not the biggest artist worldwide (and also as a proper threat to the biggest western artists), it changed a ton (both good in terms of exposure for BTS and Kpop and bad due to jealous and xenophobic industry players). Dynamite is probably a moment that will be hard to see again.

Oh this is the point they were making. I totally agree with you amalyas then.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• D4 and Square up era in general? First kpop group song to reach 1 billion (and prob to 2b soon) sounds pretty groundbreaking to me. Forever young the biggest album track in korea until dolphin. Maybe it wasnt for you that mostly care about bts but it was for sure a cultural reset in the kpop industry, way ahead of what some people refer to as such these days

Oh I know well that Square Up was definitely a moment for BP and is the reason their careers are so big now.

But in my opinion, it did not change how the industry operated and treated K-pop in the way LY: HER and later Dynamite accomplished. I don't think it compares to the industry-wide effects of increased K-pop album stocking worldwide, songs targeted for the Hot 100, signing to American labels en masse, being invited to foreign talk shows, hosting stadium tours worldwide, etc. that the BTS releases I specified brought to the table.

Some groups were touring worldwide before they even got a 1st win...

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This Version Of DNA leaves me absolutely speechless

I was turned into ARMY because 2017 award shows! I was blown away by their intense performances (I only watched to humour my niece who was a huge multi, so I saw nearly all groups’ performances. Only BTS left me speechless and in awe).

Yup, rock DNA was mind blowingly good!! I also love these two iconic performances

Mic drop remix MAMA2017

External Content youtu.be

Spring Day MMA2017 (people might not know it has such beautiful choreo, Jimin blew my mind with how he “flipped” upwards while singing

External Content youtu.be

After those shows, I was feverishly binge watched BTS contents lol

So I definitely agree LY:Her was a cultural reset. Definitely for me

• Oh I know well that Square Up was definitely a moment for BP and is the reason their careers are so big now.

But in my opinion, it did not change how the industry operated and treated K-pop in the way LY: HER and later Dynamite accomplished. I don't think it compares to the industry-wide effects of increased K-pop album stocking worldwide, songs targeted for the Hot 100, signing to American labels en masse, being invited to foreign talk shows, hosting stadium tours worldwide, etc. that the BTS releases I specified brought to the table.

Some groups were touring worldwide before they even got a 1st win...

Not that I disagree with some of ur takes but you definitely downplay d4's and bp's impact so let's just leave it at that

• Not that I disagree with some of ur takes but you definitely downplay d4's and bp's impact

Please explain to me D4's impact on the industry as a whole, not just for girl groups. I even wrote down two of D4's all-time records; that's not downplaying, that's being objective.

I don't like leaving conversations "at that" when you're not even refuting my points with data.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• DNA era was really iconic. I remember I wasn't even a bts fan at the time and the most I knew about kpop was Gangnam style and Fire but I was still so hyped about bts' performance at the AMAs. I cheered so hard when they began their performance, it was really history being made.

• Please explain to me D4's impact on the industry as a whole, not just for girl groups. I even wrote down two of D4's all-time records; that's not downplaying, that's being objective.

I don't like leaving conversations "at that" when you're not even refuting my points with data.

It's not the first time you make a similar thread so I know there is no point in saying anything cause it will never be enough for you. You are already set into thinking no one else did anything for kpop internationally other than bts

• It's not the first time you make a similar thread so I know there is no point in saying anything cause it will never be enough for you. You are already set into thinking no one else did anything for kpop internationally other than bts

I am literally trying to engage you in conversation, I have changed my opinions plenty of times before based on points others have said in my threads. If I don't get to hear opposing thoughts though, there is no possibility of changing my mind. Basic logic.

I also never denied that BP had impact internationally, YOU put those words in my mouth.

If you want to give up on your argument solely based on your perception of me, then that says way more about you than it does for me.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• DNA era was really iconic. I remember I wasn't even a bts fan at the time and the most I knew about kpop was Gangnam style and Fire but I was still so hyped about bts' performance at the AMAs. I cheered so hard when they began their performance, it was really history being made.

I had been exploring their albums and funny edits on YT for a few months before HER came out, man was I hyped for that album.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• i agree

her was brought me into bts

i fell out when mots:7 came out tho :clown:

• This thread contains 29 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!