Only Kpop-based J-group can get international fans attention?

• I feel like fans outside Japan is going to follow a group only if they are associated with a korean company. LDH do have their share inter-fans, but nowhere the same level as NiziU, JO1 and now INI. Now there is a new survival show inspired by NiziU project by FNC and I see already fans being supportive. It's also will be broadcast on Weverse.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Uni909

Changed the title of the thread from “Only Kpop-based J-group can dra international fans?” to “Only Kpop-based J-group can get international fans attention?”.
  • i mean, many actual jpop groups are still incredibly inaccessible to the international audience. jpop still does that thing where they only post short version pvs on youtube, there are barely any fan or official translations for japanese variety show, music show, or social media content. the only way to get a jpop group with a kpop esque fanbase surrounding them is to ground them in kpop tactics.

who's your favorite artist?

• I listen to J-pop since 2012, but not idol groups. For the ones I do, it's extremely hard to find extra-content and when I do it's fully in Japanese without translation. Unless they put at least minimal effort, it won't happen.

But maybe idol groups are doing something different, idk.

• Kpop is the trendy asian music among foreigners so of course they’re going to latch onto korean affiliated jpop groups. Honestly,

it’s probably one of the very few ways jpop is going to get any attention among kpop fans and non fans. Just the reality of things. Don’t adapt and you get left behind so now they’re trying to do a 180 in promotion tactics and become koreanized in the shortest time span possible which isn’t how things work. It took the Korean music industry about two decades to get where it is now internationally.

• Kpop is the trendy asian music among foreigners so of course they’re going to latch onto korean affiliated jpop groups. Honestly,

it’s probably one of the very few ways jpop is going to get any attention among kpop fans and non fans. Just the reality of things. Don’t adapt and you get left behind so now they’re trying to do a 180 in promotion tactics and become koreanized in the shortest time span possible which isn’t how things work. It took the Korean music industry about two decades to get where it is now internationally.

"become koreanized in the shortest time span possible", that's a lie, NiziU is the only really popular group that follows this trend, because JO1 is quite unknown, for example no JE group has "koreanized", neither are groups 46 / 48, and acts like YOASOBI or Kenshi are post vocaloid (is there something more Japanese than vocaloid?)

• I feel like fans outside Japan is going to follow a group only if they are associated with a korean company. LDH do have their share inter-fans, but nowhere the same level as NiziU, JO1 and now INI. Now there is a new survival show inspired by NiziU project by FNC and I see already fans being supportive. It's also will be broadcast on Weverse.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

it all come down to promotion

niziu, jo1 and ini label do the work to promote them internationally

and putting eng sub on their youtube channel

while the other japanese based label? they only concentrated on local market..

thats why

• y'all have just never bothered to check out jpop

babymetal's fanbase is almost completely outside japan, and the 48/46 groups were pretty well known with the weebs

LiSA, aimer, stereopony, kenshi yonezu, ikimonogakari, higedandism, ok one rock, etc have huge fanbases outside of japan (mostly because of ties to anime but that doesn't change the fandoms)

you don't get to 700M views just from japan (especially if the comments are almost all english)

just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. yes, jpop is mostly concentrated in japan, but isnt that why its jpop? kpop has lost its identity in that respect, catering to everyone will soon water down to something none of us will enjoy.

even kpop has evolved from jpop influences. after school's graduation came from akb48, all the fanfare around aespas animated stuff is old news in jpop's nightcore genre. jpop started kpop, they were the first to make idol groups. SMAP and EXILE started the craze for boygroups. News about arashi still shows up in naver, even though theyre 22 years old now. are you going to tell me that popularity in korea doesn't count as international?

the title for this is better as "only kpop based jpop groups get kpop fan's attention."

why? because that's who it's catered to.

you wouldn't have heard of niziu if they weren't from jyp, even if all their music and promotion was the exact same.

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• "become koreanized in the shortest time span possible", that's a lie, NiziU is the only really popular group that follows this trend, because JO1 is quite unknown, for example no JE group has "koreanized", neither are groups 46 / 48, and acts like YOASOBI or Kenshi are post vocaloid (is there something more Japanese than vocaloid?)

Yeah niziu is one of the very few ones for NOW. Don’t know if you realized it yet, but many of the top Korean companies already made Japanese subsidiaries. They’re all trying to debut localized Japanese groups following the Korean idol model (promotion, image, training, and etc.) this and next year so it’s only a matter of time before those acts get on a similar popularity level to that of niziu, especially if niziu isn’t consistent with putting out content for fans which they’re not lol. 8/10 a hybe Japanese gg or bg depending on the concept will be very anticipated and will sell like hot cakes due to simply being affiliated with bts lmao

Obviously, JE and the 48/46 groups haven’t taken this route. I have noticed that JE groups are trying to make themselves more appealing to international fans by doing more rap/hip hop concepts which doesn’t even sell well in Japan lol When I meant becoming koreanized, I was referring specifically to certain idol groups and not soloists.

• Only Kpop-based J-group can get international fans attention?

."LDH do have their share inter-fans,"

well you just answered your own question.

lots of Japanese acts get attention from international fans especially if they just make their music\selves accessible to international markets.

one thing to remember is Japanese music is a lot more diverse than kpop which is all the same, so fans are a lot more “spread out”

• Yeah niziu is one of the very few ones for NOW. Don’t know if you realized it yet, but many of the top Korean companies already made Japanese subsidiaries. They’re all trying to debut localized Japanese groups following the Korean idol model (promotion, image, training, and etc.) this and next year so it’s only a matter of time before those acts get on a similar popularity level to that of niziu, especially if niziu isn’t consistent with putting out content for fans which they’re not lol. 8/10 a hybe Japanese gg or bg depending on the concept will be very anticipated and will sell like hot cakes due to simply being affiliated with bts lmao

Obviously, JE and the 48/46 groups haven’t taken this route. I have noticed that JE groups are trying to make themselves more appealing to international fans by doing more rap/hip hop concepts which doesn’t even sell well in Japan lol When I meant becoming koreanized, I was referring specifically to certain idol groups and not soloists.

mmm I have read the Japanese say that they are already a little bored with the reality shows of idols and similar things, for example in the case of INI i have seen a lot of people say sarcastically "oh great, other Koreans".

About JE, the groups experiment with sound, there are cases of success and cases of failure, of course, it depends on what we understand by failure xd

• Most JO1 or NiziU fans are kpop fans, few of them know real J-pop artists

I agree most non Japanese fans that follow those two groups are indeed KPOP fans but the fans in Japan at least in NiziU's case are not and I've shown you why in the past. NiziU captured the heart of Japan GP and you know it. There has been evidence after evidence, polls after polls. I realize you don't want to admit it but that doesn't change what actually happened with them. It wasn't because they were great, it wasn't because of Twice. It was a huge combination of things that Japanese citizens themselves have talked about time after time. I think it's time you stop gatekeeping, and that is what you are doing, as it has been proven you are wrong. I admit I don't know enough about JO1. I'm not a boy group stan so I can't comment on that. I can comment about NiziU and tell you again you are completely wrong.

• I agree most non Japanese fans that follow those two groups are indeed KPOP fans but the fans in Japan at least in NiziU's case are not and I've shown you why in the past. NiziU captured the heart of Japan GP and you know it. There has been evidence after evidence, polls after polls. I realize you don't want to admit it but that doesn't change what actually happened with them. It wasn't because they were great, it wasn't because of Twice. It was a huge combination of things that Japanese citizens themselves have talked about time after time. I think it's time you stop gatekeeping, and that is what you are doing, as it has been proven you are wrong. I admit I don't know enough about JO1. I'm not a boy group stan so I can't comment on that. I can comment about NiziU and tell you again you are completely wrong.

I was talking about foreign fans, NiziU debut song was a hit, I don't deny that

Now we have to wait for his debut album, I have no idea how many versions he will have, but his debut single (cd) had like 12 versions (that's a lot)

• I was talking about foreign fans, NiziU debut song was a hit, I don't deny that

Now we have to wait for his debut album, I have no idea how many versions he will have, but his debut single (cd) had like 12 versions (that's a lot)

Sorry then I misunderstood. Um who is "he". Is that INI your talking about?

I will say if I was going to Stan any boy group it probably would be a Japanese one as I like what they are doing the most.

In general though I still can't get into many of the 48/46 GG. It's not the music. I like their music but I have this aversion to modern(interpretive) style dancing. I can accept it if it is really really good like say Tomiyoka dance club or something but just the general type dancing they do just doesn't do it for me unfortunately but there it is. Probably why I like "notequal Me" more than "equal Love".

My favs are still the Jrock groups like BM or similar type groups.

• Why is it a common belief among jpop fans that kpop is literally all the same lol?

• Why is it a common belief among jpop fans that kpop is literally all the same lol?

even kpop fans talk about the kpop system. all kpop groups are formed the same way and trained to produce a similar product. the only difference really is the marketing and the image companies present their idols .

I think the best thing to compare kpop to is extremely well run fast food restaurants. While the packaging, marketing, etc might be a little different from place to place, the overall experience is the same everywhere

• "LDH do have their share inter-fans,"

well you just answered your own question.

lots of Japanese acts get attention from international fans especially if they just make their music\selves accessible to international markets.

LDH? You mean the label that desperate for international interest to the point of asking for help from HYBE? Lol.

• LDH? You mean the label that desperate for international interest to the point of asking for help from HYBE? Lol.

i didn't even see where ldh said they wanted help because they were desperate. i just seen where one person offered hybe the opportunity to colab with him.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!