My problem with CL solo songs...

• I know some will try to hate on me and my faves bc of my opinion, but i want to talk about my problem regarding CL solo career...

When I started discovering kpop, CL was a great surprise for me. She is confident, talented, "free", etc. She stood out for me and bc of this i was hoping for a great career and just great music with DIVERSITY.. yes..

She had great songs, but her latest songs aren't my cup of tea. They are basic, but my biggest problem is: she always try too hard to convey a badass image and this fall of the category of "no creativity" for me. When I watch her MV i sometimes think: "hm, this is a little cringe" or "why does she look so mad?" Things like these..

It's a pity bc CL has so much potential, but i think she limits herself with this badass image. She is a great singer, a great rapper and her stage presence is amazing, but she is lacking in the diversity area. It's like she is stuck on time and can't move on.

Sure she isn't obligated to please me and I'm not demanding this from her, but i still think she could do so much more if she saw how amazing she is and how repetitive her expressions look...

Anyways, this isn't a happy essay and I'm sorry, buuuuut i wanted to talk about it bc i always check her songs and while i know she has a lot of different songs, i also know she focus more on the badass one and it's always the same message... anyways, i hope she could change a little and try different things. She has potential!

But yes.. and this is my opinion, if i offended someone sorry.

Bye!

• I kinda feel the same

The only song I liked from her solo releases was +5 STAR+ :pepe-peek:

• I also wish we saw more of the image she had during songs like Missing You or It Hurts. She's an amazing vocalist as well and I feel like she limits herself by always sticking with the rapping side more!

~ ω

• The career of a group idol and a solo artist are two very different things and the transition from one to the other is not given to everyone, it is always something very complicated.

For me too this song is not memorable, maybe she will do better next time, or maybe also the career of solo artist is not suit her.

• The career of a group idol and a solo artist are two very different things and the transition from one to the other is not given to everyone, it is always something very complicated.

For me too this song is not memorable, maybe she will do better next time, or maybe also the career of solo artist is not suit her.

You nailed it. It's true that a solo under a group tag and a solo career alone alone is really different and she is in another aagency. But I think she is capable of a solo career, she just seems stuck on time.

• Lisa will be the same like cl

• I understand you

kind of feeling the same, and my problem is that she is a woman, looks badass, wears those clothes but then somehow

her rap is like, well fierce but her voice tone doesn't fit the whole concept. And also songs are kind of... flat, nothing spectacular.

it's like an inverted J from STAYC

J looks cute many times yet her voice is so deep and her rap gives the more mature vibe

CL sounds a bit like a grown-up version of Loona's Yeojin, or at least this is how I imagine it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Actually i like the tone of her voice and to me it sounds good with the songs, my problem are the repetitive lyrics and the repetitive facial expressions....

• I think this is a good point. Even after all these years of being a soloist, she's still just delivering the same message (I'm the baddest, I'm the best, I'm so good)... It's disappointing that she doesn't have anything new to say.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I think this is a good point. Even after all these years of being a soloist, she's still just delivering the same message (I'm the baddest, I'm the best, I'm so good)... It's disappointing that she doesn't have anything new to say.

Thanks. And yes, the disappointment is real.

She was one of the most promising k acts on kpop, but she didn't evolve as an artist in my opinion which i also consider as her weak point.

• CL is Queen and after many obstacles is probably on the way to find herself.

And on her journey, there will be Songs you won’t like. Maybe she is sticking to that badass Unni thing cause that’s what she most comfortable with.

She has way more to offer and I’m willing to observe her career. She literally started from scratch again!

• CL is Queen and after many obstacles is probably on the way to find herself.

And on her journey, there will be Songs you won’t like. Maybe she is sticking to that badass Unni thing cause that’s what she most comfortable with.

She has way more to offer and I’m willing to observe her career. She literally started from scratch again!

I'm too. But relying on an image isn't an excuse when we have so many artists sticking to one concept and still changing some things..

But yes, she is starting from the scratch and tbh i think the 2ne1 girls hurt a lot with the whole process of their disbandment and things like this which is sad and i can understand how difficult it must be for her.

• I totally agree with you! (get ready for an essay)

ngl I had high expectations from her when she started her solo ventures, but I ended up getting disappointed with her releases for the exact reasons you've mentioned.

Also, the fact that she's taking control of her work just makes the situation worse, 'cause it seems that this concept is exactly what she wants to do and this makes me feel hopeless about her future work

(pls, consider that I was a big 2NE1 and CL fan and I thought their careers after leaving YG were promising, 'cause they'd have more creative freedom).

Sometimes I think that all she needs is a image shift to one that she can fully show how diverse she can be in terms of artistry and lyricism.

Her current image (The Baddest Female image) is still reminiscent of her YG idol days and how she's recognized/perceived in Korea and showing a more mature side as a vocalist (not a rapper) would be an excelent shift in her solo career.

Her song 5 Star is a great example of how she can explore a different image - and still be the CL we know!

Also, her music videos of her rap tracks look low budget. Nothing against low budget videos, it's okay, as long as they don't look cheap.

When I watched her latest MV, I felt like the producer was trying to repeat the same formula from Hello Bitches' MV and it didn't work well.

Anyway, CL has a big potential and, as you've said before, she's only using 20% of it.

And it's disappointing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!