Sustainability of Kpop in the US Market

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

This is why people keep saying that it's still a niche genre in the West. It's only a matter of time before the kpop bubble bursts here.

• Since it's about January to July, BLACKPINK with literally no comebacks this year, we love to see it.

Can't help but wonder how much higher BLACKPINK would be if they actually released as a group in the first half of the year.

"Bunch of wannabes that wanna be me, me three if I was you"

Edited once, last by jenniesbtch ().

• Bts, blackpink and twice in top 3 tho all 3 are supposedly "flopping and irrelevant" in this forum :melon_think: good to see this big 3 is stable on top.

Actually BTS is on a tier of their own at this point. So ig it's basically big 1. Look at that sexc gap. Whew. I wonder if there was ever a gap like this in the past.

4th gen bg's and itzy have taken over 4-10. It's good to see 4th gen succeed like this. I guess 4th gen groups are really starting to take off. Good for them!

Desbundar

• Since it's about January to July, BLACKPINK with literally no comebacks this year, we love to see it.

Can't help but wonder how much higher BLACKPINK would be if they actually released as a group in the first half of the year.

Its until June. And didnt BP ship vinyls this year?

(please dont lynch me for having a good memory)

In order for kpop take root in the mainstream unlike Jpop in the 80s-90s, the size of BTS should be the average of the top 20 domestic artists.

I don't understand this part. BTS should be the size of the average of the top 20 US domestic artists?

• Lol no one should be surprised by this data.....hoping US music labels take this to heart and realize that kpop will never be a mainstream genre here in the US. BTS are an anomaly and should have been treated as such from the start, but instead labels here wanted to find their cash cow equivalent. Whelp, jokes on them I guess 😬

• So BTS is like ABBA, then?

For all their massive success, ABBA did not make Swedish music famous, just themselves.

Kind of reflects with McDonald's BTS meal.

Had it included say Kimchi in 50 countries it sold/sells, then it would have been something.. but selling French fries, Cajun sauce, Coca-cola and McNuggets - with BTS for the promotion.... well.

Like that... if it does not end up getting the western audience listen to Korean songs, then Kpop won't sustain as a distinct entity in the west. But of course Kpop companies can still make money by diluting any distinctiveness... sell more BTS meals -no kimchi.

• Swedish music is famous enough that US producers go around giving themselves Swedish names in an effort to boost their career.

I guess Robyn, Zara Larsson, Avicii etc dont exist. Swedish music is much, much more known than kpop.

• Swedish music is famous enough that US producers go around giving themselves Swedish names in an effort to boost their career.

I guess Robyn, Zara Larsson, Avicii etc dont exist. Swedish music is much, much more known than kpop.

Different genres of Swedish music developed independently as well. Swedish house music "paved their own way" (lmao) through the live music scene

Rip Avicii. What a legend

Are you a new baby ARMY? Want to meet fellow ARMYs? >Click here!<
    ezgif.com-gif-maker_3.gif

It is not known as 'Swedish' music, but Sweden has become a studio for Western-English music, even Kpop have use Swedish talents.

I don't think Nike makes a single shoe in the US, it is all outsourced. Do you think then the outsourcers is the brand?

For the matter, Samsung might be getting its OEM all over the world, but still will remain a Korean brand.

isn't that obvious?

• I can't say that this surprises me at all, but a lot of these U.S. record labels really should have known better than to try to sign a "BTS 2.0" for themselves

On that note though, I know enough kpop songs which have used Western talents.

How many Western producers have been reaching out to Kpop talents for songwriting, production, arrangements etc., as they do with Sweden?

• Armys are not surprised by this noh? We have been saying this but I guess with all the mediaplay that has been happening, one would think kpop as a whole have grown so much there. Add to the fact that the kpop community has been pushing this agenda as well. Some stans even have been saying their faves have the GP versus BTS who only have armys.

I have been in kpop for 10yrs now and it has been fascinating to see how things have evolved and turned out.

• Ah well this is not surprising. We always said BTS is bigger than kpop in the sense that apart from BTS the genre is not taking much roots in the west.

But then using BTS as the standard for kpop artistes in the west is kinda cruel as BTS does better than some local artistes. This is just up to June so it only records 1 month of butter’s impact. I expect the numbers to be drastically different by the end of the year

• This thread contains 64 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!