Somi's BMI is even lower than supermodels'

• Somi reveals her height and weight in her latest story. Her BMI is about 15.8. Supermodel average is about 16.

I'm a bit concerned, because that is very low. She could still be healthy if she eats a very nutritious and balanced diet, but still. She would need a nutritionist to make sure she's getting enough of all the nutrients.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• dont athletes have a bmi of like 8 ? it might not be cause for concern.

8?? 8 seems crazy. As far as I know a BMI of 10 and under is considered acutely life threatening, depending on the person it can go down to 9 but that range is concerning everywhere. The lowest "regular" I've seen is like 13 and that's for child gymnasts. Ski jumpers are among the lightest athletes and they are required to have 18.5 minimum to compete.

• 8?? 8 seems crazy. As far as I know a BMI of 10 and under is considered acutely life threatening, depending on the person it can go down to 9 but that range is concerning everywhere. The lowest "regular" I've seen is like 13 and that's for child gymnasts. Ski jumpers are among the lightest athletes and they are required to have 18.5 minimum to compete.

im mixing up bmi with body fat. Ive heard of male athleats with 6% body fat cause they are mostly muscle, and 12% body fat for women . But ive also read BMI isn't the best indicator for health.

• im mixing up bmi with body fat. Ive heard of male athleats with 6% body fat cause they are mostly muscle, and 12% body fat for women . But ive also read BMI isn't the best indicator for health.

bmi isnt accurate for higher weights because it could be bone/muscle/fat weight and there's no way to tell but bmi is pretty accurate for lower weights

a low bmi is a pretty good indication of being unhealthy

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• Maybe she cut calories and is bit dehydrated? Nothing bad with it during "camp" look at MMA fighters when they prepare for a fight and need to cut weight. I'm sure she is fine

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• People can tell me what they want and say I am body shaming or what ever but someone who has such a low bmi isn’t healthy. Knowing the K-Pop industry and how many kpop idols and trainees have talked about the heavy dieting, she most definitely not reached this by eating like a normal adult or eating enough.

Also for those people who use the videos of idols eating on camera to prove that they are living healthy: yes they might eat a lot but they move and practice so much that what they show what they are eating is not enough to reach the min. of calories needed. Also a lot of former idols have complained about the dieting.

• People can tell me what they want and say I am body shaming or what ever but someone who has such a low bmi isn’t healthy. Knowing the K-Pop industry and how many kpop idols and trainees have talked about the heavy dieting, she most definitely not reached this by eating like a normal adult or eating enough.

Also for those people who use the videos of idols eating on camera to prove that they are living healthy: yes they might eat a lot but they move and practice so much that what they show what they are eating is not enough to reach the min. of calories needed. Also a lot of former idols have complained about the dieting.

I don't think this is body shaming.

We all know that idols can go way too far with their diets, it's normal to be worried sometimes...

• im mixing up bmi with body fat. Ive heard of male athleats with 6% body fat cause they are mostly muscle, and 12% body fat for women . But ive also read BMI isn't the best indicator for health.

True. Athletes like Usain Bolt will come up with extremely high BMI results.

• I don't think this is body shaming.

We all know that idols can go way too far with their diets, it's normal to be worried sometimes...

A lot of times when you talk about the unhealthy body expectations of K-Pop people gaslight you and say that you are body shaming while so many kpop idols have talked about this and experienced heavy eating disorders. A lot of people think that one is hating on the idols themselves while a lot of people are calling out the standards

BMI is very crude. All it does is compare weight to height. Obviously, there are a lot of variables that overlooks. Somi could actually be extremely healthy if she's eating right. Low calorie intake + a balanced nutritious diet + consistent exercise is best for longevity.

The bad health predictions for low BMI's are probably mostly based on people starving themselves with bad diets, because most people don't understand or follow nutrition advice.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• BMI is still used as a general tool by doctors to estimate if your weight is within normal parameters. It is not accurate for people with a lot of muscle mass (athletes etc) bc muscles weigh more than fat and their BMIs will look a lot higher. It is also not as accurate for very short or very tall people. None of that applies to Somi.

According to her BMI she's clearly underweight and seems to be very proud of it which I find pretty worrying. Also considering she's posting it online for the positive feedback (goals!) and for her young fans to see and want to emulate. It's not a good look.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!