What do you think of companies that don't let their idols go on variety shows to give them a "luxurious image"?

• depends on the group obviously and which variety show...

top variety shows in Korea are like what KB? RM? so yes those shows are the top top but then again you have lots of lower tiered variety shows...

• I don't see the benefit of not promoting the artists in variety shows. For groups like BTS and BP, I do understand though as they don't need these shows.

No. Especially for newer groups. I would love to see groups like cherry bullet and purple kiss on more variety shows.

That is the catch 22.

Before they become famous, groups need more exposure to variety shows, BTS was in many early on, BP less so, but the less famous you are, the least likely you will get invited.

Eventually a few lucky groups become famous and start getting more invitations to shows.

But even fewer groups become huge success, and the invitations just roll in, but they have little time to go on those shows.

So it has to be some type of sweet spot of being a little famous, but not hugely famous to get in variety shows.

Plus there is a lot of corruption and insider deals in Korean TV/music.

Agencies with CEOs that are friendly with TV networks managers can get more access to show invitations, than CEOs of smaller agencies with fewer connections.

• Well I mean these acts still have a lot of other fan content on their v live pages or YouTube specials. In which case I don’t think it matters. In fact seeing how successful that method is, it’s probably for the better.

You need korean variety if you plan on having a career other than kpop in Korea for example acting or maybe hosting of itself. Or if you’re primarily catering to a Korean audience which most of the times is GGs usually who depend on GP support.

Other than that there’s no reason for group and esp BGs to ever visit a Korean variety. I don’t think it has anything to do with “exclusivity”. It’s just a waste of time. When there are better options.

• I think it's dumb and potentially ruins career opportunities, especially for those idols who want to go into acting. Part of being an idol is showing your personality and having fans feel like they're getting to know you. So if you're not doing variety, then where are those opportunities at?

Variety helps a lot of groups gain more fans. Take SNSD for instance. They are known for being great vocalists, dancers, and visuals but they are also queens of variety. I think being able to do well on variety shows is an art and it seems to be lacking a lot these days.

• I think more companies are moving away from having the artists go on those shows and making their own in house content.

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floorImage result for bts dancing gif fire

• it depends on the group image. some variety shows don't suit some groups because of their image/age/ what they are doing. i don't feel the need for variety shows to promote anyways. you gain almost nothing from them most of the time.

• I think it's dumb and potentially ruins career opportunities, especially for those idols who want to go into acting. Part of being an idol is showing your personality and having fans feel like they're getting to know you. So if you're not doing variety, then where are those opportunities at?

Variety helps a lot of groups gain more fans. Take SNSD for instance. They are known for being great vocalists, dancers, and visuals but they are also queens of variety. I think being able to do well on variety shows is an art and it seems to be lacking a lot these days.

most fans don't even care about variety shows or watch them. they just listen to music go to concerts and watch the performances. in my entire life as a kpop stans i have only watched 1 or 2 variety shows. you put a lot of importance on these boring variety shows. there are way better opportunistic to promote, like shooting a CF, Magazines and acting.

• It kind of doesn't make sense to me. But at the same time it might actually work lol.

I become really dedicated to the few interviews/ show appearances that they do have. Or stream their MVs frequently if I miss them.

I guess it does give them an air of superiority, but also fan content is what makes groups thrive considering how the industry is.

I wonder what behind the scenes impact it might have.

˗ˏˋ you got me feeling like a psycho psycho ˎˊ˗

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!